The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Tatsumi67

My Mossberg Dilemma

I really want a new shotgun for some reason, must be the ammo prices and sheer power of it. Even when I know I should put the money towards an AR.

But I recently had range time with a Mossberg 930 SPX and loved it. I don't have a semiauto 12 gauge and I think this would be a great place to get one, for home defense. I'm a pump guy and would like to expand my skillset to semis. My local smith has one in stock for about $530.

On the other hand, I can snag a used 590ATP6 for $230, which is an awesome deal. I really, REALLY, want a 930 SPX...... But I need the money for an AR..Even if the 930 would probably see more and better use seeing at shotgun shells are still cheap and AR recievers are still WAY over priced.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:28 AM   #2
tighty whitey

Decisions Decisions

I feel your pain.

My gut is telling me that your gut is telling you to go with the 930. Right now gun prices might be moving slightly off of their peak and AR prices might take longer to move then most, so the affordability factor also moves in favor of the 930. I can't see how buying the 930 at the price you quoted would be a bad decision, it just isn't. The AR can wait.

Last edited by tighty whitey; August 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old August 11, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
UniversalFrost

if you look on auctionarms and gunbroker complete lowers have really taken a nose dive and stripped lowers are back to almost pre-crazy prices.

me. I would get a new shotty.

the shotty is much more useable and will get a lot more field time than an AR.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 11, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Tatsumi67

Quote:
the shotty is much more useable and will get a lot more field time than an AR.
That was my arguement. Shotgun it is then.

But is a 930 worth $500? When I could get a 590ATP for $230?
Old August 11, 2009, 11:23 AM   #5
UniversalFrost

check buds gunshop http://www.budsgunshop.com

they might have cheaper prices.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 11, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
tighty whitey

Why another pump?

It sounds to me that you already have a pump shotgun so it would make sense to add a semi to the mix. If you don't have a pump then the 590A at $230 makes sense but what would that gun add to your experience if you already have a pump to begin with?
Old August 11, 2009, 01:38 PM   #7
trigger happy

some of us own more than one pump shotgun, some of us own more guns than we can carry or use, will that stop me from buying another? I wouldn't bet on it
Old August 11, 2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Tatsumi67

I already have some classic winchesters which I absolutely adore but they are 22 inch pump guns that would not be to mobile inside my home.

I just need a semi that has an 18.5 inch barrel, a capacity of more than five, and maybe ghost rings
Old August 11, 2009, 11:00 PM   #9
jakeg823

$530 for a 930?????? must be nice!!!! i havent seen one around here for less than $600. i only have about 50 rounds threw mine, i just got it about a month ago and due to some crappy weather i've been using every rainless day to ride my motorcycles instead of shooting. The only problem i have w/ my 930 spx is that SO FAR it doesnt like anything less than 3" high brass, it even hangs up on 2 3/4" high brass, but only occasionally. but from what i've been reading it takes a little bit to get it properly broken in, but the first day i got it, not knowing anything about semi-shotties, i used 2 3/4 low brass and it jammed every single time. every review i've read on the 930 spx has said it requires a 50-100 round break in before it starts feeding reliably so i'm confident mine will clear up by the end of my next trip out to the range.

overall though it does appear to be a great gun, its fun to shoot, and not too bad of a kick even w/ the 3" hb, ha the 2 3/4" lb felt like shooting a bbgun.
Old August 15, 2009, 07:17 PM   #10
juanveldez

just for giggles I went on gunsamerica.com to see what they had for a price range I saw 930s for anything from 450-800