The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 1, 2006, 02:42 PM   #1
jhgreasemonkey

anyone use Remington dry lube?

I disasembled my Baikal izh94 o/u, cleaned out all the factory cosmoline gunk and coated all the moving and friction parts with remington dry lube w/teflon. That is what my local gun shop recommended. But I dont notice any difference. It works fine I just wanted to smooth things up a bit because the gun is relatively new. Whats your opinion on this lube?
Old April 1, 2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have used it for several years without any complaints. Something like Breakfree may help, but if your local shop said Remington, then use it awhile and give it some time to break in. If it's really tight, maybe the dry is better. That's my unprofessional thought FWIW.
Old April 1, 2006, 08:16 PM   #3
mswestfall

I use Remington Dry Lube on my reloader bar but never have used it on a gun. I do know a couple of very experienced shooters that use it on their o/u's. I personally don't recommend it, or grease. Most of the shooters I trust and a few gunsmiths I've spoken with recommend a light gun oil only, not grease.

I began using grease in the action of my semi-auto and went back to a light gun oil. The owners Manual said oil; even on the parts with a lot of play in them.

I have 20,000 rounds through my o/u and have only used oil. I don't see any excessive wear on the pivot points or lock

I don't swab the barrel with oil after cleaning because I shoot ever weekend. I am concerned about build up in the bbl.

Just my 2ยข.....
Old April 1, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4
Ruger4570

I guess I have to disagree. I use oil on many parts of all of my guns, but when it comes to the hinge pins, side of the action and locking lugs I use a good high quality High presure grease. Personally I use STOS as it is clear and doesn't stain my clothes. To me it is the same reason you don't oil the ball joints on your car. If someone wants to use oil on these parts, go for it, it is your gun and not mine. I just think that with close to 100,000 shots through my Browning 4 barrel and it still locks up tighter than a frogs butt in deep water, I will stick with grease on certain parts