The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 9, 2016, 06:13 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Cannon box research with pics

I would like to know what this box was is. I bought it at a shop not farm from the Millville Airport (First defensive airport) a couple days ago. I thought that the burning bomb imprint meant that it was from Springfield Armory. Top says "smokeless powder for cannon". Would this have held the powder charge for a cannon? Any info would be appreciated. Also any recomendations on where to find info on artifacts like this.
Can the wood be brought back without ruining the writing? Doesnt need to be perfect. I would like to be able to read the rest of the writing. Or maybe find out what it should say.

Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 9, 2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Hawg

The M 109 is a self propelled 155 MM howitzer. It uses a separate powder charge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEHa2izgkQw
Old May 9, 2016, 11:36 AM   #3
BoogieMan

This says M109190. I would say that its pre-Vietnam era or older. Was the powered M109 Howitzer around at that time? Is the Flaming Bomb an arsenal mark?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 9, 2016, 01:20 PM   #4
lamarw

Could be the Ordinance Corps vs. Arsenal??? May want to google to compare the two in case there is any difference.

Not sure which artillery piece the military used for ceremonial pieces.
Old May 9, 2016, 03:42 PM   #5
sgms

Any cannon can be used for salutes, but in Washington DC the 3rd infantry salute gun platoon uses WW2 issue M5 75 m/m Anti tank gun mounted on M6 carriages firing a 75 m/m blank with a 1 1/2 pound powder charge. (based on information provided by a past member of the old guard)
Old May 9, 2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
This says M109190. I would say that its pre-Vietnam era or older. Was the powered M109 Howitzer around at that time? Is the Flaming Bomb an arsenal mark?
It's been around since the early 60's. The flaming bomb is U.S. army ordnance.
Old May 9, 2016, 04:41 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

The description looks like WWII Ordnance Corps markings, getting a picture of the whole box would help.
Old May 10, 2016, 06:46 AM   #8
BoogieMan

Here is a link to another identical box in a little better condition. They have good pictures from many angles.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Smok...0AAOSwP~tW6JhR
FYI- I paid 10% of the asking price locally.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 11, 2016, 04:08 PM   #9
michaeldarnold

Box looks to be made of pine. It's unlikely you'll be able to restore any of the original color to the wood without destroying the writing on top. If it was me, I'd leave the box in as is condition and try do research based off what you already know.

Pine is a very unforgiving wood and that paint will disappear before the discoloration lightens up.

Mike