The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Boris Bush

Made in China

I got one of them Chinese Ithaca M37 copies (wife bought it for me) and it by far has the worst fit and finish (but the blueing is spectacular) of any shotgun I ever owned! So I thought I would give it a try. So far I have yet to find ANY slug cheap or too expensive that will not shoot one raged hole at 50 yards. This gun is plain ugly!! but it shoots better than any other shotgun I have ever owned!

It also shoots Rem low recoil and Hornady TAP buckshot better than any cylinder choke shotgun I ever shot for buckshot patterns.

I just though I would let ya'll know that my $134.00 shotgun shoots unreal with opensights............
Old September 24, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2
SDDL-UP

Glad you are happy with it! You've got a great wife to purchase you a gun - period!

I don't buy made in China when I have a choice, on principle. Don't care how it shoots, I just wouldn't own one and my wife know's that.

I hope you gave your wife a big hug! I'd bet the smile on your face when you return from the range must easily be worth $134!
Old September 24, 2007, 11:38 AM   #3
AmesJainchill

I'm of the opinion that function is more important than form. Good to hear you're satisfied with your purchase.
Old September 24, 2007, 11:39 PM   #4
williamd

Boycott China! :barf::barf:

Or, if you insist enroll in Chinese language classes. You can drive your Far-East foreign car to class.

So, I am biased. Better than dumb.

Oops, gotta go to my Spanish as a second language class.
Old September 25, 2007, 01:13 AM   #5
ghettoestl

Support the unions, support America, buy American!! BOOOOO CHINA! HOORAY BEER!! ....and Remington, Marlin, Savage, Smith & Wesson etc.
Old September 25, 2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Boris Bush

I just had to go and shoot it some more so yesterday I shot groups to see what I wanted to use this year. Winschester Powerpoints came in first with a barely larger than a hole one slug would make. I also still have some Activ 3" 1 1/4 oz slugs that were not far behind and Breneke K.O. slugs were barely behind that. All went into one hole at 50 yards. POI was within 1" between everything I shot.

Thats my boy with me on a ruffed grouse hunt last weekend. Thats the shotgun that I will never get rid of! Does anyone have a real Ithaca? and if so do they shoot that well also?

Last edited by Boris Bush; September 25, 2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old September 25, 2007, 10:27 AM   #7
williamd

Have three 'REAL' M37s and they are good guns. A 12 and two 20s. The 20s are especially nice. However, always carry my 870! Go figure. Maybe it is the side loading?? Also have a SxS and a single bbl trap Ithaca that were my Granddads, but do not shoot them.
..... Will never own a chink-made one. Refuse to let bottom line profit to go a country we will battle some day. And, that is true even if the product is manufactured here. What? You think those far-east based companies leave their profits in N.A.?? Only if they want to buy/take-over more.
Yep, we will fight C someday .. or simply roll-over. We are learning how to do that quite well.

Nice boy. Pleased to see him out with Dad!