The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 24, 2015, 02:22 PM   #26
BlueTrain

There are those that believe that and, yes, accidents happen. I'm sure you're as safe as can be but I'm not so sure about everyone else. It isn't the carrying, it's the handling and the shooting. You aren't responsible for anyone else's safe gun handling practices but the range might think they are, whether or not that actually are. After all, you've already decided that a range is a dangerous place.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 24, 2015, 03:04 PM   #27
kraigwy

I agree with Sharkbite,

Why are you safe carrying your CC everywhere else but not at the range.

Quote:
It might be worth wearing a bullet-proof vest
That will be the day. I didn't wear one as an infantryman in Vietnam, and most of the time I didn't wear one as a LE officer (except when I got caught in my later years when they became mandatory).

As too the range, I highly doubt.

If I find someone that dangerous I'm taking them aside and providing some one on one training.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 24, 2015, 03:11 PM   #28
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We said that from now on we will both carry while shooting at the range.
It's a shame that we have to do that, but it's good, sound policy.

I used to shoot at an unmonitored public range. One day, a bunch of gang-bangers showed up and proceeded to shoot up everything in sight. Picnic tables, trash barrels, etc. were all perforated. It also seemed that their language was limited to 4-letter words. Needless to say, we left, never to return.

I now shoot at another public range which has a much more mellow group of shooters. Even so, I always wear a sidearm. When you have to walk 100+ yards to change targets, carrying a rifle, spotting scope and range bag just isn't practical. If nothing else, having a sidearm gives me peace of mind.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 24, 2015, 03:53 PM   #29
BlueTrain

I was serious about the bullet-proof vest but it wasn't my idea. That was the suggestion of Massad Ayoob.

No matter how safe you are with a firearm, accidents still happen. Again, I'm not saying you're unsafe or accident prone but those around you might be. And anyway, you don't spend six and a half days amongst people who are shooting. They could put up a "No Accidents" sign to solve the problem, I suppose.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 24, 2015, 04:58 PM   #30
Dragline45

It's not uncommon for people to get robbed at or outside gun ranges.

As far as carrying while at the range, I always have a gun on my hip. No different than going anywhere else out in public.

Quote:
You realize that many ranges BAN loaded firearms behind the shooting points and/or during "people down range" periods?
What they don't know wont hurt them. That's why I keep mine concealed.
Old August 24, 2015, 07:41 PM   #31
Mobuck

"What they don't know wont hurt them. That's why I keep mine concealed."

So, you assume to be "better" than "them", safer than "them", or just above the rules of the range?
This sort of thought process is one reason why I have my own private range.
Old August 24, 2015, 08:27 PM   #32
shafter

Keep it concealed and keep quiet about it.
Old August 24, 2015, 08:38 PM   #33
Sharkbite

Quote:

So, you assume to be "better" than "them", safer than "them", or just above the rules of the range?
This sort of thought process is one reason why I have my own private range.
Its not a matter of being "better", but rather Professional. Just like at gunshows, my CCW pistol stays CONCEALED. Its purpose is to protect me and mine. Not to try holsters or anything else.

The same goes on the range. The pistol im carrying is for defense. Not to be whipped out on a lark and shot
Old August 24, 2015, 08:42 PM   #34
psalm7

One of the more risky things I do is if Im wanting to stretch out my rifles more than plinking in my yard . I often go to a remote range alone . Im sighting down thier Sniper range in my bubble and no ones got my 6 . Expensive weapon systems and gear , what ever I have in my pockets at the time . Not a good choice but with my work schedule its not always easy to find someone that has time to go when I do .
Old August 24, 2015, 08:48 PM   #35
darkgael

alone

Quote:
You realize that many ranges BAN loaded firearms behind the shooting points and/or during "people down range" periods?
Yes, that is certainly true. When I am at the range (down a rural byway) to which I referred earlier and other shooters are there, then the .44 comes off and sits in my shooting bag. Then I leave my guns on the bench or in the rack when I go down range.
Alone is different.
Pete
Old August 24, 2015, 09:51 PM   #36
leadcounsel

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you have a concealed carry permit or are a law enforcement officer - no loaded guns unless they're in a case and being carried from your vehicle to the shooting line.
So, your pro gun gun range has an anti-gun policy, doesn't trust you with a concealed handgun despite the fact you're probably firing significantly greater firepower... and I assume they pat you down and wand you to ensure you're not carrying.

Gun store employees carry handguns, don't they? Same thing. Patrons at gun ranges are standing there with tens of thousands of dollars in firearms, scopes, and ammunition. Oh, and keys to nice vehicles. All ripe for the pickings.

I mentioned before, but there are enough incidents of criminal assaults and robberies at ranges to encourage me to carry. What better place for a group of thugs to stock up on guns and ammo than to ambush a range while it's cold, right?

Here's a few real world news examples in the last few years:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/02...verthrow-govt/

Quote:
A prison guard accused of shooting a lawyer to death at a gun range told police he found the man dead and stole his rifle so it could be used by an extremist group bent on overthrowing the U.S. government, court records show.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Co...p-robbery.html

Quote:
A Bonnie and Clyde pair of armed bandits robbed two men and shot one outside a Far Northeast gun shop and range Thursday night, making off with seven stolen firearms and leaving one of the victims critically wounded.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Co...ehmLuOdKgGl.99
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...kyle-shot-dead

Of course, Navy SEAL Chris Kyle and his friend were shot and killed on a range.
Quote:
Police said Sunday that the body of Chris Kyle was found by officers responding to an incident at the Rough Creek Lodge in Glen Rose the previous evening. Chad Littlefield, a 35-year-old friend of the war veteran and author, was also killed at the scene.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818296/posts

Quote:
Jeffrey Lane Dudney, 43, of Tampa, was facing attempted murder charges when he went to the shooting range Thursday afternoon intending to steal a firearm and flee the area, Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee said.
So, be armed and prepared when you're at the range.
Old August 24, 2015, 10:06 PM   #37
Dragline45

Quote:
So, you assume to be "better" than "them", safer than "them", or just above the rules of the range? This sort of thought process is one reason why I have my own private range.
The only assuming being done is by you sir. If it's not illegal to carry my gun, I am carrying it. The most they can do is ask me to leave the premises, and I am willing to take that risk, personal protection means alot more to me than abiding by a ranges ridiculous rule of banning concealed carry.
Old August 24, 2015, 10:06 PM   #38
leadcounsel

Another thought is that if they ban LOADED firearms, just sling an unloaded AR on your back and put a couple mags in your back pocket as you walk to change your target. I cannot see how anyone could object since it's clearly unloaded.
Old August 24, 2015, 11:25 PM   #39
armoredman

As a guy who did work more than one range, can I interject one thing here? the reason for bans on carry of loaded firearms on public ranges is the same reason some gun shops ban loaded carry - these are places where you are expected to manipulate your firearm, and the chance of negligent discharges goes up many many percentage points when people are handling loaded firearms instead of carrying them holstered. That's the logic, and yes, it's a lawyer thing, as well.
I also frequent an unmonitored outdoor range which is treated as a hot range by everyone there. It doesn't hurt that when I train at work we maintain a hot range as well. If a place doesn't allow me to carry, (not many here in AZ), and don't provide professional armed security, I tend not to frequent the place.
Old August 25, 2015, 11:05 AM   #40
thump_rrr

I wonder if the same people who will carry concealed regardless of range rules would carry in states where their CHL is not valid?
Old August 25, 2015, 12:26 PM   #41
Sharkbite

Quote:
I wonder if the same people who will carry concealed regardless of range rules would carry in states where their CHL is not valid?
You are comparing a business's policy and a State LAW. Vastly different things
Old August 25, 2015, 03:19 PM   #42
Tactical Jackalope

Funny you should mention that.

The gun range where I worked at (I haven't worked there since last year) had an incident. Here is how it went:

Man goes into the showroom and asks for a 9mm rental package. Which includes the following for $65.00; Glock in 9mm, 2 targets, eyes and ears, and 50 rounds of ammunition.

He shoots downrange. 46, 47, 48, 49..... Keeps the last bullet.

Chambers it. Puts the gun to his head (temple) and squeezes the 115gr full metal jacket into his head.

RO's are active or prior military. They administered first aid until the ambulance came. He died in surgery at the hospital.

He could have just as easily gone down each lane had there not been RO's who are trained and armed.

That said, I always have my own SD gun on me.
Old August 25, 2015, 04:42 PM   #43
FireForged

Strangers are exactly that.. and I do not get all caught up in the brotherhood that armed citizens seem to simply accept on face value. I am still guarded with information and I am always ccw while at the range. I go with my gut and if some clown seems off, I dont try and talk myself out of that impression. Stay safe
Old August 25, 2015, 08:16 PM   #44
FITASC

Lock the gate when you enter so it isn't easy for a stranger to get in.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2015, 08:54 PM   #45
SARuger

I carry while at the range. Its a private range and very remote. No one there minds and I'm not the only one.
Old August 25, 2015, 09:58 PM   #46
Onward Allusion

It's amazing how a gun can jump out of its holster and shoot its owner. Amazing I'd tell you.
Old August 25, 2015, 10:31 PM   #47
armoredman

And the further on with the range suicide - the indoor range I worked at had a Ruger SP101 snub that was used in a suicide. That gun was a very popular rental afterwards. Dead serious, no pun intended.
Old August 25, 2015, 10:45 PM   #48
thump_rrr

Quote:
Lock the gate when you enter so it isn't easy for a stranger to get in.
They can practically walk around or climb over the gate.
It's there as a mere formality.
Old August 27, 2015, 04:50 AM   #49
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post

Yes.

That's also why I keep a full reload of whatever I'm shooting in my pocket for any SD situation that might arise. I don't need to trust anyone else's level of competence or malice....I just need to know that I am prepared.
Old August 27, 2015, 08:56 AM   #50
boondocker385

I always have a loaded pistol on my body at the range and often wear my vest...the latter mostly because of the poor gun handling I have seen. I ALWAYS wear my vest at police ranges.