The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 3, 2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Venom1956

'Tactical' Suspenders. =P

Hey all,

I am curious if anyone uses suspenders with their CCW or Open carry and if so what kind? I think for longer days out and about it might make carrying a bit more comfortable by distributing the weight a bit more? With a thicker strap so it doesn't cut in and a good belt on top of that you'd be set.

I figure a nice workmen pair would be handy but i'd love suggestions or info such as if you had to change some habits and or if they interfere with anything or the like.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 3, 2014, 08:36 PM   #2
ezyed

suspenders

I wear side clip suspenders with a iwb holster. They clip on your pants right at the pocket opening and you can not tell that I have my Bersa 380 on.I carry it butt foreward so that nothing shows above the waist line.
I am not looking for a fast draw rig .
ezyed
Old March 3, 2014, 11:01 PM   #3
AK103K

Ive been wearing Dickies "Perry" suspenders for about a year now, and grown to like them a good bit. They hook under the belt, as opposed to attaching to your pants. They are very comfortable, and support the weight very well.

Only downside to them carry wise, you may have to alter how you clear your cover garment. If you sweep it open from the front, the gun side strap tends to get in the way.
Old March 4, 2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Perry's. They even make a shoulder holster set, IIRC.
Old March 4, 2014, 05:01 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Combat & CCW type suspenders....

I'm not a big "suspenders" guy. I had a nice set of dress "braces" with the button type fasteners in the early 1990s(as was the style with men's business wear in the era).
When I was on active duty, I saw many lower enlisted soldiers & NCOs who'd wear OD elastic type suspenders with the woodland BDUs(remember those? ).
They'd been worn under the BDU.
In 2014, I've seen a few styles Id look at for OC/security duty gear or CCW use(s).
Check: www.Duluthtrading.com www.uscav.com www.qmuniforms.com www.galls.com .
The Duluth Trading styles are impressive. They come in different colors widths & fastener types.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Venom1956

Those Perrys look PERFECT. I've been carrying @ about 5 so that single rear strap and the hooks will do exactly what I need. The cross draw is cool as well.

I am not a suspender guy either but hey for 20 bucks ill give it a shot.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 5, 2014, 07:29 PM   #7
AK103K

I got mine at Walmart for $8.
Old March 6, 2014, 07:36 PM   #8
SAWBONES

Another endorsement for Perry's.

Used 'em for decades.
Easy on, easy off.
Solid.
Dependable.
Genuinely helpful.

Regular elastic (with relatively lightweight pistols, carried IWB), extra strength elastic (for OWB carry) and industrial-strength (non-stretch polymer shoulder straps) for really heavy guns (e.g., the 1911).

I have them all and have used them every single day, all day, for many years.

Yes, you need some sort of cover garment.
Old March 6, 2014, 11:39 PM   #9
Archie

Tactical?

I suppose - in some sense of the word.

I have two sets of Perry's (brown and black to blend in with clothing). The suspenders keep my belt up and the hardware hangs on the belt. I find my trousers don't 'sag' and slip any.

I happen to be at the awkward body weight range. My belly size is a trifle bigger than my butt size, so everything is 'downhill' from my belt area. I'm working on the weight, but still, a full load of 'stuff' in one's pockets, a sidearm and magazine(s) tend to drag down one's britches.

I've found a strong side, just aft of the hip holster blends right in with the support straps and doesn't block access. Presuming one dresses with some attention to detail.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 10, 2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Brit

When working in my Sons Company (Armed G class Security, in uniform) I use the real heavy Perry Suspenders, supports the Pistol, spare Ammo, Motorola Radio, even clips the mic. to the upper left strap.

Very comfortable, if wearing a vest, the vest does not push the pants down.

CCW, not so much.
Old March 12, 2014, 03:59 PM   #11
TRX

I'm using $8 K-Mart suspenders. Now I don't have to cinch my belt painfully tight to keep my pants up.

I used to think they looked silly, but now I regret all the time I did without them.
Old March 12, 2014, 09:45 PM   #12
Cosmodragoon

I've never been a suspenders guy but lately I've been thinking about it. Since jacket weather hit, I've been almost exclusively shoulder-carrying. My rig has loops that anchor to my belt under each arm. I've noticed that my pants keep in perfect place like never before, even with a decent belt. I realize that's sort of the opposite situation from what people are discussing here but the other day, I definitely found myself thinking about suspender-based holsters...
Old March 15, 2014, 06:50 AM   #13
Grant D

Another vote for the Perry's that hook on your belt, I have a black, and also dark blue set that I wear most of the time.

I also have two pair of the clip on that are a little more heavy duty, and a leather dress set made by Nacona that hooks on your belt loops.

I like the fact that you dont have to cinch your belt real tight when carrying a heavier pistol.
Old March 15, 2014, 10:54 PM   #14
willie97

I also have a pair and love them.
Old March 16, 2014, 09:12 AM   #15
saltydog452

Ir wouldn't be very 'tactical' if you were to find yourself being slung around by your straps.

The Perrys, like the older Sam Brown rigs, are good at supporting weight. Maybe not so good in a physical altercation.

That said, I wear and like mine.They keep my pants up around my squishy pear shaped body.

salty
Old March 24, 2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Brit

The reason that Sam Brown straps were dumped, the throwing all over the place stuff.

But so much more comfortable in the gun and gear carried in Security, on the belt. Especially now we have a Motorola Radio to carry also.
Old March 24, 2014, 10:32 AM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
The Perrys, like the older Sam Brown rigs, are good at supporting weight. Maybe not so good in a physical altercation.
Having your pants around your knees in a fight or when fleeing also has some physical negative consequences.
Old April 15, 2014, 08:16 AM   #18
Viper225

My brother just switched from Duluth to Perry's by Dickie.

I have never worn suspenders, but I am seriously considering trying a set myself.

Bob
Old April 16, 2014, 12:24 AM   #19
Micahweeks

I had to wear some on duty for a while because a back injury was causing me a TON of pain with my belt and gear on. They did provide a lot of relief. There is another "under-the-uniform" system that works, too, and I have one those as well. I forget the brand name, though. But, yes, they will save your back if you wear anything heavy on your belt.
Old April 16, 2014, 04:06 AM   #20
foxytwo

I wear Perry suspenders that hook on the belt, one set hooks on the back and front each side, the other set is Perry outback suspenders that hook on the belt on each side. I wear them under the shirt and I am still evaluating which pair I like best. They hold my pants up and the pistol does not cause my pants to slip down.