The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Nordeste

Opinions: Walther P99 Compact vs Glock 26 vs M&P9c vs Steyr S9A1

So here we go. My PX4F Full Size is for sale now. I'll be getting either a Star 30M or CZ75 for IPSC purposes, and a compact/subcompact for carry.

I have my PX4 announced for sale and got a couple of "trade" offers. One guy offers a Glock 26, another one the Walther. I still have to know what trigger system the Walther has, but will find out soon.

On the other hand, I had in hand an M&P 9c the other day. Loved the little thing and as said in other thread, didn't find the trigger that bad. This same guy (gun shop owner) will have a few Steyrs available soon, so in a couple of weeks or so I'll be able to see the Steyr too.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to shoot any of them. Luckily enough I'll be able to shoot a Walther P99 full size and I've shot some Glock 17s, but this won't give me, I guess, the feeling of how the smaller ones shoot. Here you can't rent firearms at ranges and all you can expect is having someone at hand that owns one.

This said, the ones that look best positioned are the M&P and the Steyr, for those have external safeties that the other two lack.

Would love to have some inputs on which one you guys like better. Yeah, I know, it's very personal, but would like it anyway. I know that with any of them a sharp recoil is to be expected, but what I've heard is that the Walther is likely to be the snappiest, and I'd expect the Steyr and Smith to be the softer ones in this sense.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 24, 2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Walthers are great guns, no doubt. But, IMO it comes down to the G26 and M&Pc. I have both and they have been 100% reliable. If you're stuck on a safety, get the M&P---the safety is intuitive for most American shooters and is easy to manipulate and has a positive 'click' when engaged/disengaged.
Old October 24, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

That is interesting you say glock and M&P only.

The P99 came out before the M&P and does everything the M&P does but better.

Assuming the P99 is AS, the trigger on the P99 will be much better because it is a single action in all shots unless you decock it. You can not load a P99 without it being put into single action. So when someone comes in here (and they will soon) says the P99 doesn't have a constant trigger pull, wrong.

The P99 also has the more distinct AND shortest reset.

P99 wins in trigger next to these two. Period.
Old October 24, 2011, 12:16 PM   #4
predecessor

From where I sit - the Glock and the M&P are fine, but unremarkable.

The stock triggers on the Walther (AS) and Steyr are much better IMO. Unfortunately, the Steyr S-9 really isn't in the same size and weight class as the others - The Steyr is the same size as a Glock 19 or Walther P99 and heavier than both.

Sounds like you have finished your affair with the PX4 but the PX4 Sub-Compact is a great little shooter and in the same size class. I like the P-99c slightly better, but prefer the PX4sc to the Glock 26 or M&Pc
Old October 24, 2011, 12:42 PM   #5
group17

The only one I can't recommend is the M&P only because I have never shot one.
The Steyr is a great shooter but on the larger size.
For your money the Walther can be found cheaper than the Glock.
ALL have been very reliable.
Old October 24, 2011, 03:30 PM   #6
balance

In my opinion it would depend on what type of P99c it was.

If it is a P99c AS, then it would be first on my list, since I believe it would have the best grip and trigger of any of the pistols listed. But it is a DA/SA pistol, where all of your other choices are constant action pistols where the trigger is the same from the first to the last shot. If a constant trigger is your preferance, then the DA/SA of the AS trigger may not be for you. Also, the compact P99 pistols have a different recoil impulse than the full size P99 pistols for some reason, probably because the compact has a lighter slide and a dual recoil spring, but others have stated that it is more pleasant to shoot than the full size. I haven't shot one yet, but I've heard that they are less "flippy".

If it is a P99c QA, then it would probably be the last on my list. I tried one once, and while it still had the same great grip, the trigger was not as good as other polymer pistols out there.

After the P99c AS, I would pick the Steyr, then M&P, then Glock.

All the pistols on your list should be good choices though, and this is just my opinion. If I liked all of them equally, then it would probably help me pick one if I found out which of these companies had the best service in the country that I lived in.
Old October 24, 2011, 05:28 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

I told you someone would come in and say the P99 AS trigger isn't constant.
See above this post.

It is constant. You have to decock a DA/SA to make it DA then SA. Once loaded, a DA/SA is SA. You have to rack the slide to load a round. This puts the gun into SA.

Old October 24, 2011, 05:40 PM   #8
postmaster

I carry the G26. I sold it once and missed it a bunch for carry. So... I had to buy another, and it will never be sold.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:36 PM   #9
priler

sounds to me like your looking for a glock type trigger. if the walther is a QA,just install a glock 5.5 lbs striker spring,lots of people have done it with no problems at all,it's really cheap and improves the trigger on that one.(unless you like the stock trigger) don't go lower weight on the striker spring.

i prefer the p99 AS though and with the AS you'll be carrying the same action as what your competing with. don't worry about not liking the AS trigger. in fact,you'll probably wish your competition guns had the walther AS trigger too,especially the cz.

comparing the p99 AS trigger to something you already know,the px4F,..the AS has a lighter DA pull,the DA pull length is a little shorter and the reset is about..hmm..about 1/3 the length of the px4F. in other words,the reset on the p99 AS is lightning quick. if your not used to it,you might even do double taps by mistake. use the reset after the break,don't let your finger all the way forward. get the most out of it. you can also feel the reset easily.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:41 PM   #10
JIMSPD9

Best concealed carry???

WALTHER /PPS
Old October 24, 2011, 07:34 PM   #11
predecessor

Actually JIMSPD9 the thread topic is still "Opinions: Walther P99 Compact vs Glock 26 vs M&P9c vs Steyr S9A1"
Old October 24, 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
torrejon224

I have a M&P 9c and a Walther P99c, the Walther has the AS trigger and aside from my HK P7s it's my favorite 9mm and one I carry on a regular basis. I bought it new abought eight years ago and have over 5k rounds thru it. It's completely reliable and hasn't had a single problem. Feeds every type of 9mm I have put in it and will produce groups under two inches at 25 yards consistently. I also have the full size with the same trigger but honestly it just sit's in the safe. Just can't go wrong with a P99c IMO!
Old October 25, 2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Fishbed77

That's an easy choice - P99c (with AS trigger) all day long. It is by far the nicest of the choices in terms of trigger, ergonomics, and fit & finish.

It's also easily as reliable as a Glock. The P99 design has been around for about 15 years, and has been subjected to all the same sorts of torture tests as the Glock pistols.

In previous years, the higher price of the P99 may have put it out of the running, but now they can be easily found for under $600.

Last edited by Fishbed77; October 25, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:36 AM   #14
Nordeste

Thanks for your kind advice, gents.

The P99 I have been offered turned out to be a full size, not a compact. The trigger is the AS system, which is good. It's the one I like best.

I found out that a work mate of mine has a P99, so I'll invite him to the range and, as you've made me curious about this pistol, I'll find out if that trigger is as good as you say. As said, I heard this pistol has a reputation for being "flippy", so I'm actually eager to find out myself.
Old October 27, 2011, 06:09 AM   #15
priler

it's not really that "flippy" at all. in fact,it actually has pretty low felt recoil for it's weight. it's very controllable.

most of that talk has been from people shooting the .40s&w version and even then i believe that's exaggerated.

here's a video of a compact in .40s&w,notice how controllable it is. the light slide with the double recoil spring assembly keeps the muzzle rise and recoil in control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21X21M8bcA

i have nothing to do with the video.

by the way,there's a .45acp s&w sw99 version too but it's not common.

9mm is a pussycat.

Last edited by priler; October 27, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old October 27, 2011, 06:54 AM   #16
C0untZer0

The G26 shoots pretty much like a G19 which shoots pretty much like a G17, which is similar to a G34, which shoots a lot like a 17L.

It's a Glock, what else is there to know?
Old October 27, 2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Tomac

Another vote for the M&P9c. Mine have the thumb safety (removeable if no longer desired), night sights, APEX sear & striker block for a greatly improved trigger and the interchangeable backstraps make for a semi-custom grip.
Tomac