The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 20, 2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

Cabelas...

Guys,

I ordered the rifle below from Cabelas this past Saturday. Before I ordered I explained to the person taking the order I wanted to make sure that they had the rifle in stock and was told they did. I explained to the person that I wanted to make sure they had it in stock before placing the order and I was assured they had the rifle in stock and that I'd receive it within 6-8 days. So I gave them my information and they charged my credit card. Today I went in to monitor the order and as you can see my order is now listed as "backordered". I called and explained what I was told When I placed the order. I told them I was ASSURED they had it in stock and that I'd receive it in 6-8 days. I then asked them what they were going to do to make it right. They placed me on hold for about twenty minutes and then came back and said they were sorry but the next shipment wouldn't be in until the end of Oct but even then they couldn't promise that I'd have my order filled then. So I asked again how they were going to make this right and there was simply silence on the line. I asked them if they had placed an order with a company and was assured they would receive the goods bought and paid for in 6-8 days what they would expect and there was stone could silence. Finally they said there only option would be to cancel my order. They acted as if they thought I wouldnt cancel...I told them to cancel my order and give me my money back. This was the third time in the last couple of weeks Cabelas has basically flat out lied to me. I have done A LOT of business with them and at this point they will not get my business in the future. They made absolutely NO EFFORT whatsoever to do anything to make this right.

So please be aware that when they say they have something in stock you simply can not trust them because they do not know whether they have the product in stock or not but they will sure take your money! Not only that but the way I found out it was backordered was I went in and looked. They didn't even send an email or make any other attempt to let me know that they weren't going to fill my order and that it could be months before I received the rifle I ordered. They simply are not to be trusted!
Attached Images
File Type: png image001.png (196.4 KB, 165 views)
Old September 20, 2017, 08:27 PM   #2
osbornk

You trusted what one of the employees told you rather than going on-line to check for availability and order? I have only ordered one from them and I did it on-line without any issues at all.
Old September 20, 2017, 09:42 PM   #3
std7mag

Wasn't it just in the news that Canelas was bought out by Bass Pro Shop?
This may explain some of your difficulty.
Old September 20, 2017, 10:08 PM   #4
Targa

You canceled the order now order it from Grabagun, Buds etc..and save yourself $150 or so.
Old September 21, 2017, 08:34 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

This is not unknown behavior. Many times their gun ads are bait and switch efforts to get you into the store. Been there myself.
Old September 21, 2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Tad_T

I'm sorry to hear that your situation went down the way that it did.

The reason the Bergara B-14 HMR is sold out at Cabela's is that from September 7 - September 20 they were on sale in the stores for $849.
With the sale and military/veteran discount I put that exact same rifle, the HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor, on layaway for $855 on September 8th.

A friend who works in the Gun Department told me that at the Boise store that they had gotten in 1 .308 and 2 6.5 Creedmoors for the sale. He had just got finished selling the .308 when he sold me one of the 6.5's.

With that price, I'm not surprised that they sold out. Sorry that you didn't get one.
Old September 21, 2017, 09:46 AM   #7
OldScout

Check buds gun shop. Many times they have free shipping, and always have free shipping if you pay with a bank or USPS money order. I have purchased several guns from Buds and never a problem. Of course you have to set up an account, password, etc.
Old September 21, 2017, 11:36 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...the person..." Like every big box store, the person is paid minimum wage with no benefits or job security and gets virtually no training.
You can cancel the payment on your credit card.
Old September 21, 2017, 11:52 AM   #9
hdwhit

Quote:
Deerhunter61 wrote:
They simply are not to be trusted!
Well, that's pretty much been my experience with Cabela's, too.

It's also been my experience with Bass Pro (other than the original store in Springfield, Missouri), so whatever is wrong with Bass Pro has apparently infected Cabela's (or vice versa).
Old September 21, 2017, 11:55 AM   #10
hdwhit

Quote:
T. O'Heir has in his signature block:
Spelling and grammar count!
Agreed.

Except when auto-correct turns them into "Spoiling" and "Grandma".
Old September 21, 2017, 11:56 AM   #11
JWT

Cabellas is a fun place to look, not so good a lace to buy. Generally overpriced.

If you want to shop in a big box store Sportsmans warehouse is excellent. Very competitive pricing on their guns and ammo.

Last edited by JWT; September 21, 2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old September 21, 2017, 12:58 PM   #12
handlerer2

I waited for two years for the Cabelas to open in Billings. I was grossly disappointed. I wanted Fed 215's, I object to the $20 fee for shipping. They didn't have much of anything I was looking for. I am convinced they want you to place powder and primer orders from their web site. I much prefer Sheels.
Old September 21, 2017, 01:17 PM   #13
Don Fischer

I think this happen's more that we know. I went through Sportsman's Whse a bit back for my new 243. They didn't have one and weren't ordering any more. I went on line and looked at what they had in other store's and most were out but a few still had them. I called my local, huh 70mi!, Sportsman,s and ask if they could get one from one of their other store. They said they would check. Checked back and one of the other store's did have what I wanted and they had it shipped to them, I got it in right at a week. I probably wouldn't have done that but my closest gun store in Madras is 35mi and they weren't carrying what I wanted.
Old September 21, 2017, 01:55 PM   #14
shafter

Quote:
This is not unknown behavior. Many times their gun ads are bait and switch efforts to get you into the store. Been there myself.
This is true in my experience as well. However, I've been treated extremely fairly by the firearm department managers on two occassions who've offered me a firearm with all the extras at the same price to make it right.
Old September 21, 2017, 04:26 PM   #15
brian33x51

Cool, a post to pile onto cabelas. I was there last week looking at SD ammo and decided to look at a p2000sk and p30sk. Pretty young guy who then wanted to show me what he thought was the best carry gun...some glock with a laser. Said it was a real combat gun (compared to my s&w shield), and then tried to try and argue with me when I said "been there, done that, won't do it again" with respect to carrying a glock. Wasn't interested in arguing so just walked away.

I didn't realize rabid glock fanboys were actually something in real life and not just the internet.

Ugh.
Old September 21, 2017, 04:27 PM   #16
RC20

I am going to recommend the Cabella bandwagon bashing stop (and no I own no stick and I do not work for them)

I ordered a gun from another Cabella store. There was a major mistake on the costs, when we got done discussion it they simply said, we are cancelling the charges, we will sell you the gun for what you agreed to pay.

I do not see the OP went to any effort other than get annoyed, that's fine, he can do so and never shop Cabella again. Or he can learn how to deal with this stuff and get a better outcome.

The rifle was on sale, when that happens you should know its going to be an issue to get and WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE. As noted, do the online order and you are covered.

I don't claim they are the world greatest bestest, but they have brought a lot to our area that had one store before and it was not the level of Cabella.

The kind of information presented below irritate me, look it up before you post, the buy out was disallowed. Check your data before you post is my suggestion.

Quote:
Wasn't it just in the news that Canelas was bought out by Bass Pro Shop?
This may explain some of your difficulty
Old September 21, 2017, 05:47 PM   #17
Elliottsdad

I'll join the bandwagon, but just a little. They are overpriced on most things, but have a good sale from time to time. The one in La Vista, Neb. has people follow you around, bugging you to sign up for an in store credit card, or go on a trip to one of their vacation spots. That's really off-putting. Sometimes I just buy ammo at WalMart to avoid being pestered at Cabela's. They have a good used gun room though. Lots of eye candy.
Old September 21, 2017, 10:02 PM   #18
CLYA

I like Cabela's. Been stopping by there, for years. If one is to keep track of pricing, sometimes they put items on sale, that are lower, than you'll find anywhere. When I see the pricing, I'll check all of the internet offerings. They'll also price match, although I've only had them do that once. Got the match, plus an additional 10% from the coupon they sent me.

BTW--- I'll probably never purchase a firearm over the internet unseen, unless it's a vintage something or another. Prefer brick and mortar, and it doesn't bug me to pay a bit more.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:56 AM   #19
NateKirk

Having worked in a corporate retail store before I can tell you that surprisingly, the mostly part time staff is not always up to date on what current stock levels are, and even if they have available to them a system to check store stock, it is not always accurate or updated in real time to show that something has sold out. Also of importance is the fact that 98% of the people on staff are being paid less than $11 an hour to deal with your problems that they really probably don't care about, and they don't care if you go bother some other poor shlub in somebody else's sweatshop either.

Quote:
Many times their gun ads are bait and switch efforts to get you into the store. Been there myself.
As far as advertisements go, they are mass printing's
ordered by a corporate office and then distributed, and don't necessarily reflect in store stock at your particular location.

But ranting aside...

Always try to speak to a manager for problems like this, they have more knowledge about the actual workings of the store and have more authority to solve problems if they can be solved. However, if you try to squeeze a solution to your life's problems out of a part time employee who hasn't been informed as to what's going on, they're going to give you the run around and they are going to laugh at you with the others afterwards because angry people are funny.

― --Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by NateKirk; September 22, 2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:19 PM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

As far as the printed ad - I pointed out to them that they still had the item on their website. They could have easily changed that.

But, the issue was that they had only 4 (FOUR) of the guns I wanted in all of their stores in the whole country on the day the sale started (got a little bird to tell me).

That's out of line. I can see stores running out but if you don't have them anywhere, that's not kosher in my book. As an aside, I also found they did stand by their jabber on replacing defective items. LLBean was really good on that. Cabela's not so much.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:26 PM   #21
RC20

So, its that kind of world and If you want a good price sometimes it takes some waiting.

If you don't want to shop there that's fine with me.

As CYLA noted, if you don't know your stuff then you can get took. If you do know your stuff, you do fine.

For the Record, Anchorage Cabella is well staffed, polite, they do not hound you. I would complain to the Cabella corporate site. Sounds like a Store Manager after glory and gone rogue forcing employees to force themselves on you. Rather than complain and moan, do something about it.

I did buy a gun sight unseen from them, I was allowed to inspect it before accepting it.

As an old fart over 60, If I can manage it then the younger generation sure should be able to.

I have see the world change since I was old enough to see the world in ways no one ever thought.

I don't complain, I look for solutions.

Last edited by RC20; September 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old September 22, 2017, 03:05 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

I have bought several guns from Cabela's, and have always had excellent service. Yes, their prices are generally higher than some other places unless the item is on sale. But what brings their prices to sometimes well below others is their rewards points from Cabela's Club Visa. The key of course is paying off your balance every month because interest will overshadow the points.
I have done this for years with Cabela's, and others. Getting guns at prices from $200+ off to free!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 22, 2017, 04:37 PM   #23
WVsig

I love Cabela's for their loss leader stuff. Join the rewards club even the one without the credit card. Buy the $100 giftcards off of Ebay for $80-$82. Then stack them with % or $ off specials like $20 off of $100 and you have a huge discount off their loss leader ammo. I have gotten 556 brass cased ammo for less than $.20 a round. I have used the same process to buy primers & powder.
Old September 23, 2017, 04:47 AM   #24
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've never ordered a gun thru Cabelas as I buy off the shelf. But I have ordered other things and have had to wait due I think the time of year I ordered.
Being told available and paying for up front and not getting is disheartening. But certainly not life altering nor worth holding a grudge over. As its said:

“Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.”
Old September 23, 2017, 07:17 AM   #25
agtman

You're good to go with Bud's all day long. Cabela's ah, meh, ... not so much.