The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 16, 2017, 05:49 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

Bergara Rifles: whatcha think?

Guys,

I just want to know if any of you own a Bergara? Or have any of you shot one? If so what do you think?

Thanks,

Mel
Old September 16, 2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Scorch

They are essentially a copy of a Rem 700, which is not bad. Workmanship is good, quality is good, and Bergara barrels are known world-wide to be good barrels. They shoot on par with any production rifle around.
Old September 16, 2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Wyosmith

Not bad at all, but honestly I don't think it's any better then the HOWA and may not be quite as good, but costs more.
Old September 16, 2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Dearhunter61

Not bad at all based on personal experience....meaning you've handled one, shot one etc?
Old September 16, 2017, 11:47 PM   #5
Wyosmith

Yes handled several and shot one.

The one I shot was a rifles belonging to a friend who also brought out a 7-08 Winchester M70 Stainless rifle the same day. We met a 3rd friend there who had a Howa in 308 and another in 7-08. The Begara was nice enough but was the least accurate of the 4. Not at all bad, but the Winchester and the 2 Howa's both out shot it.

The friend who owned the Bergara is a salesman at a major sporting goods store and he has sold several of them. All shoot well, but none are outstanding, so far at least.

Now I would not say they are bad, but going head to head with most other push-feed rifles and being no more accurate, but asking a higher price is not going to make many inroads into the market.

In my thinking, the 2 best push-feed bolt actions on the market today for the money are the Howa and the Savage. I include the Weatherby Vanguard in this too because it is a Howa.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:23 AM   #6
std7mag

Get a T/C or CVA.
Bergara makes their barrels.
Old September 17, 2017, 12:40 PM   #7
disseminator

They have a model called the Timber or something similar, it has a really nice basic wood stock similar to an X-bolt hunter model. I haven't shot it but I did flirt with it in the store and I was impressed with the stock and the gun overall. There is a youtube video somewhere where Ed Shilen is very complimentary towards the barrels and guns overall which is a nice endorsement for sure.

I would have bought it, but I just picked up a Sako A7 the week before so.....
Old September 17, 2017, 01:36 PM   #8
taylorce1

I handled a B14 in 6.5 Creedmoor a while back in the LGS. Nice rifle just heavier than I want for a hunting rifle. I'm still kind of interested in the 6.5 Creedmoor but I'm thinking I'd like the Howa Alpine or Kimber Hunter/Montana better.
Old September 17, 2017, 04:42 PM   #9
lrdchaos

I have a friend with a b14, it's an accurate gun that shoots well.
Old September 17, 2017, 05:40 PM   #10
Bayoubulldog

I've handled a few and their git and finish were very nice. I was very pleased with the trigger pull. At the time I knew nothing about them so I moved on. Now I wouldn't necessarily shy away from them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old September 17, 2017, 08:34 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Don't know anything about those Bergara modern cartridge barrels. But those who have those CVA Optima inline B/P rifles. It's commonly known the Bergara/CVA barrel gives excellent repetitive accuracy.
Old September 18, 2017, 12:24 AM   #12
Tad_T

I recently put a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5mm Creedmoor on layaway.

I did quite a bit research on beginner long range rifles. The HMR seemed like the most affordable option, especially since it is guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA.

I got it for $855. That is quite a bit less expensive than other options. The HMR fit into my budget a little better so that I can get the rest of what is needed to set it up properly.

All Bergara rifles are guaranteed to shoot MOA or better. If a rifle is guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA and won't, then why wouldn't someone get it fixed or exchanged?