The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 2, 2017, 08:49 PM   #1
bcirka

Identifying WWII Era Mauser

Hey all! Looking for help in identifying this WWII Era Mauser.

So far, I’ve determined it was manufactured by Waffen-Werke Brunn AG in Brno, Czechoslovakia (based on the “dot” marking) in 1943.

Other markings, however, I’m stumped by:
  1. On the barrel is a shield with a 13 in it and the letters “DV” next to it.
  2. On the barrel there are two letter “s” in circles right next to each other
  3. I don’t believe the rear sight is original, it is marked “Redfield” in extremely clean machining.
  4. I’m confused about the stock length along the barrel. Most Mausers I’ve seen have the stock run along nearly the full length of the barrel while this one is short.
  5. Is this a Mauser 98 or 98k?

https://ibb.co/dQkLuF
https://ibb.co/en8vTa
https://ibb.co/fVqygv
https://ibb.co/jVo6ZF
https://ibb.co/kXJ6ZF
Old September 2, 2017, 09:35 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't know what the other marks mean, but they don't mean much.
Your rifle was inexpensively sporterized from its military configuration by cutting down the stock and installing American sporting sights.
Collector interest is nil and dollar value is low.
Old September 2, 2017, 10:55 PM   #3
Glock_17

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/gbkomen.html
Might get you some idea what that rifle used to be before it was sporterised

Seeing its a 40s rifle it was allmost certainly a 98k.

dot serial start:7390 end:9864u no made:219843 1943 Waffen-Werke Brünn AG
Old September 3, 2017, 12:38 AM   #4
emcon5

Nazi K98k that was converted to a hunting rifle at some point. The DOT 43 as mentioned above, means is was made in 1943 at Waffen-Werke Brünn in occupied Czechoslovakia.

It looks like a modified military stock, but would need to see the whole rifle to tell for sure. Just about every part should have a serial number, originally they all matched. The stock S/N would be stamped in the barrel channel.

On edit: The shield and DV on the barrel are marks from the barrel supplier, normal for a DOT rifle. The small circle-S marks I don't think are original, maybe put there when it was converted, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by emcon5; September 3, 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old September 3, 2017, 12:03 PM   #5
eastbank

if the barrel is good, you have a fine close woods-foul weather rifle. the standard 8mm can be loaded to near 3006 spect,s, nothing wrong with a 150gr bullet at 2800 fps. I have one that was fully sporterized with a scope and it shoots 1-1.5" three shot groups from a rest at 100 yards. eastbank.
Old September 3, 2017, 12:06 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

4. Looks like it was professionally sporterised. Isn't exactly a bad thing except it'd be worth more in its original form.
5. All of 'em are K98's.
"...the other marks..." Proof marks, mostly. They do mean a lot though.
DOT = Waffenwerke Bruenn, Bruenn plant, Czechoslovakia. Not a bad thing either. Czech Mausers are known for be made better than any German made rifle.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:01 PM   #7
tobnpr

Nicely sporterized, contact Redfield to date the sights it'll give you an idea of when it was done.
Even less than a decade ago before the current craze in collecting milsurps it was common and inexpensive to convert old military bolt guns gathering dust into hunting and target rifles.

Because their values have skyrocketed since, it no longer makes financial"sense" to do this to an otherwise original condition K98K. But, there are tens of thousands of those like yours though that (hopefully) are good shooters, and often re-barreled and accurized into purpose-built hunting and target rifles.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 3, 2017, 07:18 PM   #8
GarandTd

No amount of sporterizing will ever take away what that rifle may have been through. It may not have value as a historical piece, but it still has a history. Carry it proudly.
Old September 5, 2017, 08:45 AM   #9
bcirka

Thank you all so much for your kind and informative responses.

It came down through the family from a relative who removed it from a soldier on the battlefield. The history is deeply moving. I can't wait to fire it!
Old September 5, 2017, 01:50 PM   #10
GarandTd

I also have a sporterized Mauser. A 1917 Spandau Gewehr 98, also handed down through the family. It has it's original military stock, but it's been cut down and is kinda beat, but I love that rifle and the history wrapped up in it.
Old September 6, 2017, 01:06 PM   #11
SaxonPig

It may have come home as a souvenir in military configuration but somebody "sporterized" it later on. No collector value and maybe worth $300 or so as a shooter. Tons of them around. The Czech 98s are good ones. No reason not to shoot it and enjoy it.
Old September 6, 2017, 09:11 PM   #12
J.G. Terry

DOT Mauser

The looks like a KAR98 bolt. Back in the last century in the service in Germany there were ' Sporterized" Mauser's for sale. What was interest to me at the time was the marks on the receiver had been knurled. The process removed the marks from the receiver. Those rifle were no significant deference between OP's rifle and those rifles year ago. His has a receiver sight. Those did not. Looks like the steps may have been turned off the barrel. Difficult to tell from the photos.
Old September 7, 2017, 12:51 AM   #13
emcon5

Quote:
Looks like the steps may have been turned off the barrel.
No, they are there. The rear sight base/sleeve was removed, and a new front sight ramp added, but otherwise the barreled action looks reasonably original.

Wondering if the remaining numbers match.
Old September 8, 2017, 11:54 AM   #14
Holdover

New to forum. I've never done this before. Never joined a forum before. Where do I go to start a new post/question? & how. Sorry fir being such a noob. All the help would be much appreciated. Also sorry for posting this here cause it has nothing to do with the post. Thank you
Old September 8, 2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Jim Watson

Go to the section that covers your interest and look at the upper left corner where it says
"New Thread."
Old September 8, 2017, 12:35 PM   #16
Holdover

Wanting to talk about what I think is a Mauser? R. Famage. Im not sure of calliber, it has .30 stamped on top of it but not sure if this is 3006 or not?? or other info like, is it a single shot or multiple,4 shot or more? how original is it, you know , all the usual questions. Numbers on the bolt are different than those on the right & left side in front of the ejector port, where barel meets receiver? It has a 3 step barel. I think a sport stock?? JC Higgins butt plate. Strait bolt. Iron sights. Adjustable rear, solid front. May be able to send pics???
Old September 8, 2017, 12:40 PM   #17
Jim Watson

Go to the top of The Art of the Rifle and click on New Thread.
Close clear pictures are a big help.