The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 31, 2017, 07:43 AM   #1
weblance

NEW Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39

Ruger just announced an American Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39. It uses the Mini 30 magazine. Way to go Ruger !!

http://ruger.com/products/americanRi...ets/16976.html
Old August 31, 2017, 08:05 AM   #2
zipspyder

Nice rifle but I have mixed feelings about it. I know the round is maximized for a 16" barrel but why not make it 18" length and get the most performance out of a more accurate bolt action rifle? It would still be considered a ranch rifle. Also you have to have a scope....why no standard sights and just tapped for a scope?
Old August 31, 2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Joe-ker

Agreed. If it had irons they'd sell a lot more. I guess it's cheaper than a mini thirty but I'd rather have that.

Edit. I totally missed the fact it's a bolt....... Decision made------- buy a CZ if you want sights I guess.

Last edited by Joe-ker; August 31, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old August 31, 2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Wishoot

My SKS isn't pretty, but it shoots well and is remarkably accurate. More importantly, I can feed it any 7.62x39 ammo there is and it digests it with gusto.

I'm not sure what this would offer to surpass all of the positives of my SKS.
Old August 31, 2017, 09:32 AM   #5
the possum

I expect the street price will end up around half that of the CZ, so there's a plus. Might steal some of CZ's market share. And the CZ carbine's sights are not really adjustable (have to buy a taller/shorter front blade to adjust elevation), and the full size doesn't have sights at all. So it's debatable how much of an advantage they have in that category. The CZ is lighter & trimmer though- the Ruger has to sacrifice there in order to take double stack mags.
Old August 31, 2017, 02:32 PM   #6
stolivar

if it had a 311 bore like the CZ 527

I would buy it in a second. I already have the Cz in that caliber. Now they need to come out with the 6.5 Grendel in one........

steve
Old August 31, 2017, 03:22 PM   #7
ShootistPRS

If I could figure out what to do with the two SKSs that I have now and if I didn't have a 30-30 maybe I could find a reason to want a rifle in 7,62 x 39. Neither of the SKSs will shoot better than a 2.5" groups at 100 yards and one is so bad that I have plans to make a manual straight pull bolt 357 Maximum out of it. My 30-30 will do anything a 7,62 x 39 will do and do it with heavier bullets and longer range. The 30-30 is capable of 3/4" groups at 100 yards but it is just a single shot. I am not at all impressed with the SKS or the round it uses. I got a good deal on the two rifles and thought I could use them as plinking rifles. I got two rifles and a case of ammo for just over $100 back in 1980? and the ammo was less expensive than 22 ammo per round. When I found out how they shot and the price of ammo went up it was a waste of money.
Old August 31, 2017, 04:27 PM   #8
VoodooMountain

I wonder if it will work with steel case ammo any better than the mini 30
Old August 31, 2017, 07:52 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
I expect the street price will end up around half that of the CZ, so there's a plus. Might steal some of CZ's market share. And the CZ carbine's sights are not really adjustable (have to buy a taller/shorter front blade to adjust elevation), and the full size doesn't have sights at all. So it's debatable how much of an advantage they have in that category. The CZ is lighter & trimmer though- the Ruger has to sacrifice there in order to take double stack mags.
Street price will be nowhere near half the CZ. Street for this will be about $425 to start and after a year will go down to $375.

The CZ has iron sights (that I've heard mixed things about) and a nice wood stock. The only benefit the 7.62x39 American Ranch has is it'll be lighter, have the threaded barrel, and take Mini-30 mags.

It actually makes for a nice 7.62 scout rifle, but I'd really like to have those iron sights. I'd just make them in a way so that the rear sight can be removed, stored on the gun, and make room for the scope. I don't want no stupid rear sight being halfway down the barrel and so close to the front sight you could use it as a bottle opener.
Old August 31, 2017, 07:57 PM   #10
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolivar View Post
I would buy it in a second. I already have the Cz in that caliber. Now they need to come out with the 6.5 Grendel in one........

steve
Grendel is a dead cartridge walking.

Make one more practical in like .460 S&W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootistPRS
I am not at all impressed with the SKS or the round it uses.
7.62x39 is a great cartridge, it's as capable as .30-30, but the problem is most rifles that shoot it are military rifles that were built to kill, not win target matches.

Bolt guns like the Ruger here, the CZ, and Mini Howa are going to outshoot the SKS and AK all day and night. The 7.62 will down a big buck, but if you're shooting at something bigger than that, you shouldn't be using 7.62 or .30-30.

The nice thing about a bolt rifle in 7.62x39, that's accurate, is it's a Prepper's wet dream. If this thing had good iron sights on top of that same scope rail, I'd probably sell my cheap WASR-10 and buy this instead.

Last edited by TruthTellers; August 31, 2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old August 31, 2017, 08:02 PM   #11
VoodooMountain

That would be a great little thumper of a rifle.
Old August 31, 2017, 08:54 PM   #12
the possum

I see other Ruger American rifles on Gun Broker for around $300, so that's what I was comparing to (after the newness wears off). And the specs on Ruger's site say it weighs 5.9 pounds, plus whatever scope it needs. The CZ carbine is 5.5 pounds. I really like the CZ's old world craftsmanship and set trigger too, so both have their pros and cons.
Old September 1, 2017, 04:45 AM   #13
armoredman

I have asked for years if someone would make a ten round magazine for the CZ 527M, and in the end had a gunsmith genius buddy of mine build one that works perfectly. However, when I ask on a CZ specific board people generally say they don't want the bigger mag but the smaller flush fit 3 round version for the classic bolt action rifle profile.
I agree, Ruger should have left some decent irons on it - the CZ irons are fixed, which is why, before any adjustable sights were made for it, that same gunsmith genius buddy of mine fixed up a custom Marbles adjustable that I set in the rifle. I love it, light, accurate, dependable and with a decent round that can smack down as far as these bad old eyes can see.
Eh, who knows, I might try one if they get really affordable AND it shows the market really is there for a 7.62x39mm bolt action rifle.

Last edited by armoredman; September 2, 2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old September 1, 2017, 07:21 AM   #14
kozak6

That's cool. I wonder what the bore diameter is.

It should make for a fantastic range blaster, or for a short range or youth's hunting rifle.

The CZ and Howa can do sub-MOA with fancy ammo. Some of them can keep it under 1.5" MOA with Brown Bear or GT.

The Ruger should be about in the same ballpark.
Old September 1, 2017, 08:22 AM   #15
the possum

Quote:
the CZ irons are fixed, which is why, before any adjustable sights were made for it,
From the way you phrased this, does that mean that somebody does make adjustable sights for it now? I might be interested, even though my fixed sights seem to shoot dead on for now...
Old September 1, 2017, 09:00 AM   #16
smee78

I agree that a nice set of iron sights would of made this perfect, I'm still interested in one but will wait to see how well they shoot first.
Old September 1, 2017, 10:42 AM   #17
Dranrab

Good question about the bore diameter Kozac. I like this gun. I think they will sell well.
Old September 2, 2017, 12:42 AM   #18
bamaranger

advantages

This new bolt rifle will have lots of advantages over the SKS:
-shorter
-lighter
-a decent rifleman's trigger
-a factory rib for scoping, low and solid
-threaded muzzle for can or any brake/flashhider you desire, or not
-manual operation, which theoretically anyhow, will be more reliable
-detachable magazines in 3 capacities ( just 5 would suit me fine)
-based on a platform that has established a reputation,very quickly,for absolutely stellar accuracy
-has a factory support net that has long been praised as outstanding
-made in USA

Never have been a fan of the SKS.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:18 AM   #19
armoredman

I'd have to say a good SKS is pretty stone cold reliable, but everything else you list is dead on. The iron sights is one sticking point for me and a few others.
I'm interested, since this is one cartridge I not only load for, but cast for as well.
Old September 2, 2017, 03:00 AM   #20
bricz75

Anyone want to guess how much it would cost parts and labor for a gunsmith to put decent iron sites on this rifle?
Old September 2, 2017, 02:44 PM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricz75 View Post
Anyone want to guess how much it would cost parts and labor for a gunsmith to put decent iron sites on this rifle?
$2-250. A good front and rear will probably be close to 90, the rest will be the labor.
Old September 2, 2017, 03:35 PM   #22
TruthTellers

I'm actually really interested in this rifle. Since putting something on the rail is the best and easiest way to put sights on it, I'm wondering what would be a good choice optics wise?

I think a reflex sight would make this a really good scout rifle. Without the scope, it would stay light, it's mag fed and can take 5, 10, and 20 round mags, and it's a .30 caliber bullet, albeit not as powerful as .308.

I pretty much view the 7.62x39 as a 0-250 yard cartridge, so I don't think a high power scope is needed. A small scope would be fine.

What optics do you think would be best for this rifle?
Old September 2, 2017, 04:22 PM   #23
Pathfinder45

Well, folks. assuming that a bolt-action rifle in 7.62x39 is especially compelling to own, it leaves me wondering why one wouldn't prefer one of these: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/687738491
Of course, a bolt action rifle in 308 or 30-'06, will do the same job with reduced loads....
Do you think that they purposely tried to make it as ugly as possible with the thought that Ugly is the new fashion trend?
Old September 2, 2017, 05:41 PM   #24
bricz75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
Well, folks. assuming that a bolt-action rifle in 7.62x39 is especially compelling to own, it leaves me wondering why one wouldn't prefer one of these: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/687738491
That's a model that got my curiosity in the past. More than a few people have had problems with it, however. I don't believe they are currently being imported.
Old September 2, 2017, 05:42 PM   #25
bricz75

Quote:
Quote:
$2-250. A good front and rear will probably be close to 90, the rest will be the labor.

Ouch. Much better to buy a model that already has iron sites on it.