The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 2, 2014, 02:11 PM   #1
baddarryl

Trouble with Range Officer mags?

Hi all. I have a newer RO. The first 100 rounds ran flawlessly through the factory mags. Yesterday on the 2nd box I had some trouble seating a factory mag and then a very hard time removing it after firing. After that I switched to the one Wilson Combat I have and problems solved I think. Running WWB 230gr.
Old March 2, 2014, 03:29 PM   #2
RickB

Is it hard to get it started into the frame, which would indicate something wrong at the top (splayed feedlips?), or harder just before it locks, which could indicate a problem with the mag catch notch or mag catch? I've had some mags that were very difficult to get past the mag catch, but it didn't affect mag ejection.
Old March 2, 2014, 07:17 PM   #3
baddarryl

It was hard. I had inserted it like normal, but it did not seat right. I pulled the trigger and nothing. Racked the slide, still nothing. It didn't chamber. Then I pressed that last little bit to get to snap into place and then it functioned, but was hard to remove. Very hard.
Old March 2, 2014, 07:35 PM   #4
g.willikers

Like Rick sez, it sounds like the notch in the mag for the mag release might be cut a little off spec.
Compare where the ones are in the mags that malfunction to the one that works properly.
Also check the bottom of the mags.
If they have pads on them, they might be hanging up the mag there.
Also check the overall length of the mags to the Wilson, just in case they could be a mite too long in the body.
A long shot, but possible.

Last edited by g.willikers; March 2, 2014 at 07:57 PM.