The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 13, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Kog73

Walther G22 or GSG-5?

The question is in the title really, im looking to get a nice little bullpup design semi auto in .22 LR, and at the moment, i've narrowed it down to either the Walther G22 or the GSG-5 (copy of a MP5 SD, although the factory moderator is for show, and not doesnt function)

I'm wondering what everyones views on these guns are? my price range is around £300 ($450) and i can just about get a GSG 5 for that price second hand, here (in the UK). Whilst the G22 is considerably cheaper at around £200 second hand. The bonus with these second hand guns is they all come with some toys of some sort, from real moderators/trijian/red dot sights/tactical grips etc, from what i've seen

I mainly plan on using the gun for target shooting at 20 yards (25 metres), so good grouping would be nice.

If anyone has any other guns to suggest in similar design though, and at similar prices, feel free to mention them

thanks for any and all help,

Kog,

Liam

Last edited by Kog73; June 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old June 15, 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Kog73

Just going to *bump* this thread once, see if anyone's got a view on this, if not i'll start doing further homework on them with youtube videos.
Old June 17, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3
dutchgunsmoke

Jumping in.

I would go for the G22, but with a lot of hesitation.

First off : because considering the 2 - the G22 is the gun with a bullpup design.
The GSG-5 is not. That is just a .22 in a subgunpackage as it is a .22 version of the MP5.

I will not go into the internal differences between the G22 or the GSG 5, I have been beating a dead horse at work all day and that story is known.

Considering your question when it comes to your philosophy of use, I wouldn't opt for either.Those guns are either plinkers with the MP5 also being suitable for a bit of mini IPSC or other recreational forms of dynamic shooting. The low mag capacity (10) of the G22 hinders her in that retrospect.

Gut feeling to me yells Ruger 10/22. I have seen shooters really bull's eying the crap out of paper at 25 meters and beyond. With the widely availability of aftermarket parts you can convert it into a benchrest rifle capable of really scoring high to the tacticool zombiegun with an AR-15 style stock and all the goodies that can carry it.

I personally opted for a S & W M & P 15-22. It is accurate enough for my POU - Dynamic Service Rifle. A soft form of IPSC which is rather popular here in Holland.

AKA gunsmoke on the coltforum and Diamondback on vuwa.net
Old June 17, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Fishbed77

I would pass on the G22. It's not a "real" Walther - it's made by Umarex at the Umarex factory in Cologne, Germany (not the Walther factory in Ulm, Germany). Walther makes some of the best firearms in the world, but Umarex is better known for airsoft toys and potmetal rimfires.

Personally, If I wanted a "tacticool" .22LR, I would be looking at the S&W M&P15-22 or even a Ruger 10/22 with a Nomad (G36) stock kit.
Old June 18, 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
WLJ

Sold a GSG5 to fund a G22 purchase.
Reason, just couldn't take the GSG5 seriously as a gun, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was a toy trying to look like a real gun. Nothing wrong with the GSG5 but it was really nothing more than a range toy to me. Plus the fact that underneath that big barrel shroud on the GSG was a rather thin barrel didn't help.

What I gain with the G22 was a much more solid feeling gun with superior accuracy. Plus having a 20 inch barrel with a total gun length of 28 inches is great. But hey, it's a bullpup, that's what they're for. Put a Vortex 2-7x32 on the G22 and can make smaller than a quarter size groups all day long without trying. Many people harp on the trigger but I found it (mine at least) to be fairly okay in the dept. The safety will throw you for loop at first though.

What I lost was the GSG5's 30 rd mag vs the G22's 10 rounders. No big deal to me.

Last edited by WLJ; June 18, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old June 18, 2012, 01:16 PM   #6
WLJ

Here it is

Old June 18, 2012, 01:55 PM   #7
manta49

I bought a G22 a few weeks ago. I like it so far its a fun rifle accurate enough for pinking or vermin control. I wouldn't worry if its made by Walther or not if it was it would be more expensive. The trigger is not great but not much worse than the Ruger 10-22, i carried a few mods on the trigger which helped it a lot.
Old June 19, 2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Kog73

Thanks for the replies, rather than saying bullpup i should have said something along the lines of a gun that `is a replica of a military style weapon with synthetic stock/frame`

I'm not that interested in a ruger 10/22, despite it's mods available on the aftermarket, to me it looks a very meh and no different to my air rifle (which I use for more serious shooting at the same distance) and plus pretty much every person has a a ruger 10/22 as their semi auto at my club (and a CZ a their bolt action). I'm looking for something more different for a bit of fun to shoot and possibly go sort the bunnies out on a local farm over the Summer with.

But someone over the last week has shown me a Armi Jagar AP80 (copy of a AK47) that he's willing to sell me for the same price as a G22, so I'm really tempted to opt for that, never heard of the brand before, I know they no longer exist and spares are a pain to get a hold of, but the gun seems in great condition for its age, so I imagine if it were to be looked after, it'd remain in great condition, apparently is rather accurate with open sights, and I'm a big fan of the AK47 (who isn't? ok, maybe the thousands who had one held to their head at various wars....) but being this is UK, can never own the real deal as fully autos are banned.

The G22 does look nice though, got to ask though, is it as light as it looks? I've been told the GSG-5 feels a good solid build despite it looks, but I really dont want the gun to feel like a overly plastic/light toy, I like a god weight to it

Thanks,

Liam

EDIT: Oh and the S&W M+P 15-22 is a bit out of my price range atm
Old June 19, 2012, 01:14 PM   #9
WLJ

Quote:
The G22 does look nice though, got to ask though, is it as light as it looks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_G22
Wiki has the weight at 6 lbs

Plus it's bullpup, which means much of the weight is centered more on the hand grip and rearward. In other words you notice it less.
Old June 19, 2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm not that interested in a ruger 10/22, despite it's mods available on the aftermarket, to me it looks a very meh and no different to my air rifle
What about this?

(Hint: It's a 10/22 too. )
Old June 19, 2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Kog73

Fishbed77, but whats the total price for all those mods, or is that a different version of the 10/22 I keep seeing? my budget isn't that much, i'm looking for something simple for possibly shooting bunnies and to use at the range for a change to the more serious target shooting I do at 25 yards :P, also be handy having a .22 for when I go to uni, as they have an indoor range for rimfire/air guns.

I just fancy a rifle that looks `the part`, we can't get fully-autos here, so i wouldnt mind something that at least looks like one :P We also cant get full bore pistols at all, which is why i've gotten into blackpowder pistols
Old June 19, 2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
Fishbed77, but whats the total price for all those mods, or is that a different version of the 10/22 I keep seeing?
$200 Ruger 10/22 + $150 Archangel Nomad stock kit = $350.
Old June 19, 2012, 06:33 PM   #13
dutchgunsmoke

Kog73:

First off: Do not get into that Armi Jäger AK-47.
It's an obsolete model.Parts will be an issue when you happen to brake something vital.

Second: Pricerange is of course an issue. I understand this all to well. You can spent each pound only once.

Then you should make each pound count.
What's the use in spending your budget on a rifle that in the end doesn't meet your demands?

I advise strongly to do a bit more research concerning your current options.
For it would be a waste of money in the end.

Better yet: hold of this purchase to accumulate more funds to buy what you really want.

Which is a S & W M&P 15-22.

Now as for AK-47's:
Are you allowed to own the semi-automatic version of an AK-47? In centerfire that is?

"Cause centerfire AK-s used cost less then a Smith in my neck of the woods. Which is basically not to far from your neck of the woods.

AKA gunsmoke on the coltforum and Diamondback on vuwa.net
Old June 20, 2012, 12:53 PM   #14
manta49

Quote. Are you allowed to own the semi-automatic version of an AK-47? In centerfire that is?

You can own a center fire Ak-47 ect. But not semi auto just single shot straight pull. The only the only semi-auto rifle you can own is .22 rimfire.

The part of the UK i live in you can't get military .22 lookalikes. Walking over the fields here with such a rifle could get you shot.
Old June 20, 2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Kog73

Maybe i should explain my price range a tad more.

I've just finished school, or will do after this friday, and currently live in the middle of nowhere, so no reliable/consistent jobs around, but in Wales we get £30 a week from the government for going to school in the final two years, I've saved up a fair amount of that money (around a thousand pounds), so I wan't to spend a bit, but leave myself with some money for uni.

I don't feel comfortable spending £650+ for a rifle I plan on taking to university, where it'll be stored in a locked cabinet in the universities safe (as apposed to mine). Nor do i feel that price justifies being used at my shooting club, where my air rifle is a brilliant gun to shoot out at that range (i rarely go on the 50 metre range, and the 100 metre is still being prepared), and cost me half the price. I'm just looking for a fun cheapish semi auto, that's based on a military gun!

I see where you're coming from, but I simply can't afford the S+W no matter how much better a buy it is in the long run :P

For now im going to hold out a little longer, probably travel to a few gun shops around the country over the first 2 weeks of Summer, looking for a suitable gun for me, I don't plan on rushing anything! I only have space on my licence for one .22 after all! Still got room for a .303 and a .357 though (but they can wait for awhile!)

Thanks for all the help guys, but right now, i seriously cant go beyond my budget of £300/$450
Old June 20, 2012, 01:20 PM   #16
Kog73

One more thing though,

With regard to a bullpup gun, I'm a left handed shooter and i cant help but think that; where the empty cases are ejected, are they going to be going straight in my face? being left handed....If so, I may have to limit my choices to having the standard magazine popping in fron of the trigger mechanism.

If guns are anything like golf clubs, I imagine left handed ones cost a bit more
Old June 20, 2012, 01:43 PM   #17
WLJ

I'm left handed too, but shoot right handed.
Many bullpups including the G22 can be switched to left hand shooting. There's an eject port with a cover on the left side of gun and during disassembly the gun can be reconfigured. The eject port cover will then be on the right. I've not tried doing it myself but I've heard configuring the bolt is a bit involved.

P.S. Some Bullpups avoid the problem by ejecting to the front (FS2000, RFB) or downward (PS90, KSG)
Old June 20, 2012, 01:48 PM   #18
loose_holster_dan

either is fine. i'm going to take a chance on this tho. i know i know. red jacket blows, but the one guy with half a brain designed this, so i'm giving it a chance.

http://redjacketfirearms.com/index.p...mart&Itemid=19
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 20, 2012, 01:48 PM   #19
WLJ

If you shoot left handed, avoid many bullpup conversions like the AK bullpup. There's no way to switch the reciprocating bolt handle to the other side on these and thus shooting it left handed may result in you missing a few teeth afterwards.