The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2011, 04:55 PM   #1
gunorthopod

? good brass

I haven't yet tried Starline unplated brass.Is it good?durable?consistent in OAL?
Old May 17, 2011, 05:06 PM   #2
cryogenic419

Starline is good stuff...
Old May 17, 2011, 05:09 PM   #3
THEZACHARIAS

My only experience is with their 45-70 brass, but i would have to say yes to all of the above. Out of the box there were some slightly dinged necks, but that's to be expected with any brand.
Old May 17, 2011, 05:16 PM   #4
PawPaw

I use Starline for .45-70 and I've been extremely pleased with it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 17, 2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

* Line brass...

Gun Orthopod--For bullseye pistol reloaders, Starline brass is the gold standard. Non-plated brass of any brand supposedly lasts longer than the same brand of Ni plated brass--Eventually the Ni starts flaking off, and the case tends to be a little more prone to splitting than a non-plated case.

As to OAL--I assume you mean CASE length as opposed to cartridge OAL--I find that Starline runs a tiny trifle short, at least in .357 Magnum brass. Not that it's not within SAMMI specs, but some few of the cases are on the short end of the spectrum. (Cartridge OAL depends on the bullet and its exact shape, and its seating depth in the case, not on the length of the case itself. Cartridge OAL is what OAL usually refers to.)

No experience with Starline rifle brass of any cartridge, plated or non-plated.

--Smokey Joe
Old May 17, 2011, 08:38 PM   #6
chiefr

IMHO, Starline brass is far superior to WW, R-P, and FC. Their brass is made for reloaders.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:40 AM   #7
woody wood

i have used max loads in both 44mag and 357 brass and have not had to toss out one case yet.---good stuff!!!
Old May 18, 2011, 08:41 AM   #8
abber

AND - You can buy direct, they don't charge for shipping, and in CA I don't pay any sales tax. The price you see is the price you pay. There are usually 2 to 4 extras per 500. I love Starline quality as well.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:40 AM   #9
CherokeeT

Starline is high quality brass for reloaders. I use a lot of it and am very happy with it.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:47 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

All of the Starline brass I have used has had thick walls.
It's fairly consistent, but it's not the be-all and end-all some people make it out to be.

Consider it the Nosler/Norma of handgun brass (yes, they make some rifle cartridges, too). It's better than the competition, but not perfect.
Old May 18, 2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Civil War Life

I bought 500 brass Starline for .38 special and 100 nickle also for .38 special. As someone mentioned it was a tiny bit short, but no problem. They shot well and none of them cracked or had any other problems. I bought it from Midway basically for the price but will buy again. I like it so far.
Old May 19, 2011, 04:15 AM   #12
Shootest

I have used Starline brass in many different handgun calibers for many years. It has proven to be as good as any other brand and better than some. It is tops in my book.
Old May 19, 2011, 08:57 AM   #13
RyeDaddy

Looks like you've already gotten your answer but I'll chime in that I think their brass is tops! Next best for me being Winchester. I use it for 10mm, 45 Colt, and 45-70. In all three it's much better than other brands. In bottle neck rifle catridges I like Lapua, but if Starline started making 260 Rem or 308 brass I'd give it a try.

Edit: I get less velocity spread using Starline brass than other brands, and it'll take a little more abuse before the primer pockets get loose if you like to hotrod cartridges.

Last edited by RyeDaddy; May 19, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 01:53 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

I once measured a bunch of Starline in .45 ACP and found its weight variation to be about exactly half that of all the major domestic brands, including military, and half that of IMI Match brass as well. The only other domestic brand I've found to equal it's consistency is Top Brass (new brass in the Top Brass brand from Scharch.com; not from the used brass vendor who decided to confuse things by calling his business Top Brass). The only problem is that Sharch is often out of stock and doesn't manufacture nearly as many chamberings as Starline does.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 19, 2011, 02:11 PM   #15
zxcvbob

Starline brass is some of the best. The only thing I've found that's better is free brass.