The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2010, 02:08 PM   #1
jmorris

Homemade SD case feed

On another forum the idea was being kicked around of a case feeder on an SD. So I got to thinking (I know that's dangerous), How hard could it really be to "rig" up a simple case feeder on an SD. I had a little time so, gathering up parts from old cars, garage door openers, 1/2" & 1X1 box tube and a hunk of Hyvar and a few other parts and here you go. My SD's are pre B model so I don't know if the primer catch uses the same setup on the new ones (thats how it is mounted). I took all of the other stuff off so you can see how easy it works.

It was just an engineering exercise so before you ask, I don't have any drawings and I am not going to build any others (much less finish that one out).

Click the photo below for a short video

An some photos

Old September 20, 2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I particularly like the flyweight power supply chassis.

Looks like the primer catcher, which bolts onto the underside of the ram, is the same on my B.

Are you noticing the extra weight when you operate the handle? I was thinking some kind of extension tongue might bridge over to the shell plate to let you keep the feeder stationary? You could then start a feed cycle with a Microswitch tripped by the lowering ram.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 20, 2010, 04:15 PM   #3
jmorris

Quote:
I particularly like the flyweight power supply chassis.

If you are going to power targets down range by batteries you have to have them bullet proof.

Quote:
Are you noticing the extra weight when you operate the handle? I was thinking some kind of extension tongue might bridge over to the shell plate to let you keep the feeder stationary? You could then start a feed cycle with a Microswitch tripped by the lowering ram.
Not really, It doesn’t really weigh that much as it’s pretty thin tube.

I made the carrier ride with the ram so the case “rides” with the shell plate rather than try and hit a moving target. Basically the same way the 650 and LNL work, just with less parts and flexibility.

In the bottom photo you can see the micro switch that is tripped by lowering the ram (about the same time as a primer is being seated in station #2).

Last edited by jmorris; September 20, 2010 at 04:24 PM.