The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 28, 2008, 01:21 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

Response to Madcratbuilder post number 14

MCB,

You post numbered 14 just sunk in. Let me address each part.

We already talked about the hardness of thelead I am using which I will be correcting this week end.

You said: "Several of my .44's measure .444-.443, 3/8inch in to the cylinder and I have no trouble seating both .451 and .454 with Colt, Uberti, Pietta, and Pedersoli manufacture."

Your measurements are very close to what I have on the Euroarms (both cylinders) which, I think is what you were trying to tell me. So a .451, .454, 457 of proper hardness, properly lubricated should work.

You also said, "What are the odds of getting two under sized cylinders?" The way I bougth them, I would say zero. Faulty machine set up might be responsible for a run of bad dimensions on cylinders manufactured for example in the same hour. But these two cylinders were likely made years apart. The replacement cylinder is older than the original. Bought it from the "Winchester Sutler" for 35 bucks with the nipples and all. Nice folks to deal with. They have a website.

You also said, "Maybe a hangup in the loading ram?? The loading lever is working okay.

Do you know anyone with a loading stand you could try? No but I am going to make one.

Again, I sure do appreciate the effort y'all are putting into this question.

I have about come to the conclusion that my lead is not really lead but an alloy with an unknown proportion of tin. As I said, I will be correcting that this week end. I think this will correct the problem since nothing else seems to be wrong.

Tnx,

Doc