The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 25, 2004, 02:16 PM   #1
BigG

How come... ?

I used to hit the refresh button and the posts would rearrange. Now I start going thru the new posts, after a time the next page won't load and it says "search results - 0 - try another search term" or words to that effect. I have to go up and hit the new posts button again but I can never get thru all the original pages since I last visited.

Also, the refresh button does not update the page, only the new posts button within TFL. Thanks!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old October 26, 2004, 10:48 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm...

'fraid I don't understand completely. It almost sounds like more than one problem.

Can you go into a little more detail on the problem(s)? Please use small words. Graphs and charts might help too.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old October 27, 2004, 10:08 AM   #3
BigG

Hi Bluesman,

1. The old version would update the posts if I hit the refresh button on my browser.

2. This version only will update the posts if I hit the New Posts button within TFL.

3. When I start for the day, I get the new posts up. Somewhere in the middle of all the pages, it forgets where it is and acts like there are no more pages to load. I have to hit the new posts button within TFL again.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

Old October 27, 2004, 10:27 AM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

BigG,

Regarding #1 & #2 - Hitting the <New Posts> button initiates a search of all new threads in all forums since your last visit. This search is given a unique ID number when it is initiated (like this: searchid=186371) that can be found at the end of the URL. When you hit "refresh" in your browser, it simply returns the results of that search again. When you hit <New Posts> it causes a new search to be initiated with a new search ID number.

Regarding #3 - Still working on it.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old October 27, 2004, 11:21 AM   #5
BigG

Thanks, Bluesman!

Re: problem 3: I just tried to go between pages five and six on my screen and got an idiot box that said "No results. Try some other search terms."