The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 23, 2017, 10:16 AM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

I found a good deal at Cabelas with a sale and points on the club card. Also, a more unusual revolver they had that was going out of production.

So it is an empirical question as to gun purchases. I do object as I said to their ads. But now I'm an aware consumer, so it's not a problem.
Old September 24, 2017, 06:51 AM   #27
Nunya53

I don't know your situation or your options. However, if there is a local mom & pop well stocked gunstore, I would suggest building a relationship with the folks there. We had one of the now defunct Gander Mountains across the road from my favorite LGS (Ft Thompson for those in the central AR area) and it was night and day.

Never been to a Cabela's, but we do have a Bass Pro Shop on the South side of the LR metro area. I've purchased exactly ONE shotgun from them but that was because my LGS didn't have it in stock and sometime I have the patience of a two year old.....I'm working on it.

Just my two cents.....

Jerry
Old September 25, 2017, 06:52 AM   #28
Rimfire5

I've ordered two rifles (made by Savage especially for Cabela's) on line from Cabela's with in-store pick-up.

Both were listed as in stock and both were subject to rebates.

One wasn't delivered to the store in 10 days so I called customer service and was told that there was an error in their inventory list and they had to reorder and wait for Savage to manufacture the rifle for them. Since the rebate was running out, I cancelled the order.

I succumbed recently and ordered a rifle on-line from Cabela's that was listed as in-stock.
I was notified that it was at the store for pick up the next afternoon.
I picked it up the next day and applied for the rebate when I got back home.
When I mentioned the turn-around to the sales person finishing the paperwork, he said that most of their in store deliveries are within a few days of placing the order.

The first order really ticked me off and the second order sort of cleared the slate for me with Cabela's.
Old September 25, 2017, 01:45 PM   #29
jetinteriorguy

I just ordered a rifle on sale a little over a week ago. I was told in an email which I received immediately that it wouldn't be in my closest store until the end of September. I received an email last Wednesday that it was in waiting to be picked up. Picked it up after work, their routine for receiving it was a little slow but no biggie. All in all excellent service and timely communication. Guess I was just lucky, but so far all my dealings with Cabellas has been very good.
Old September 26, 2017, 02:18 PM   #30
agtman

Certain dudenals on this thread are really struggling to get it...

Let's do a simple review:

For ordering a firearm on-line, forget Cabelas. Go Bud's. Great service and, when placing an order, they don't play "hide-the-ball" with what's actually in stock & ready to ship now.
Old September 26, 2017, 06:56 PM   #31
RC20

No, we do get it.

If I could get the same service and cost from Buds then that would be wonderful.

However, on top of the cost issues (and the fact they don't carry the Cabella specific models) I have to pay an FFL and

In my case I am also in one of the Do Not Ship areas.

So, while I am glad you are perfectly happy, it don't work for me so much.
Old September 27, 2017, 06:18 AM   #32
Rancid

We have a Cabela's wthin 2 hours of our place and we make it a roadtrip once or twice a year. My friends have puchased a few guns on sale (or rebate) without any problems AT THE STORE. They call the day before and make sure it is in stock and they get the salesperson's name and ask if they will be working the next day. Then they warn them that it is a 2 hour drive and that the gun better be there!! They usually squirrel it away someplace for them.

I have a Cabelas credit card and I use it mostly for gas and travel. I like the points. Not the best deal going but I use them mostly for bullets or reloading stuff. I get a couple of "free" boxes of Bergers every year. I have no problem with backorders. I know I'll get it eventually.
Old September 27, 2017, 03:15 PM   #33
Tallest

I for one agree that bashing the retailer for the actions of an individual is a little lacking in rational. I have worked in retail for about 9 years, and I can tell you that one thing that will make 99% of retail folks disinclined to help you is the "what are you going to do to make it right?" question. Is it appropriate at times? Yes. But there are about 475,000 better ways of starting that conversation. When you ask that, you sound entitled. You also sound like you don't have the common sense to grasp that sometimes entropy and stuff just happen. Taking personal affront to a material purchase gone awry smacks of immaturity... in my experience.

And T. O'Heir - On behalf of big box retailers the country across, I refute your assertion that we're all impoverished imbeciles. I've worked for a big box retailer making over $20/hour with perfectly decent, if not competitive, benefits for close to 10 years. Whatever your experience in such a setting, it doesn't apply to everyone. And if you choose to air that laundry on an open forum, you may be held accountable for it.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old September 28, 2017, 08:52 PM   #34
Dranrab

I for one agree that bashing the retailer for the actions of an individual is a little lacking in rational. I have worked in retail for about 9 years, and I can tell you that one thing that will make 99% of retail folks disinclined to help you is the "what are you going to do to make it right?" question. Is it appropriate at times? Yes. But there are about 475,000 better ways of starting that conversation. When you ask that, you sound entitled. You also sound like you don't have the common sense to grasp that sometimes entropy and stuff just happen. Taking personal affront to a material purchase gone awry smacks of immaturity... in my experience.

That smacks of immaturity and someone who doesn't value the source of their income to me. What kind of retail employee gets miffed by an approach like that?
Old September 28, 2017, 10:37 PM   #35
Dearhunter61

You obviously didn't read my post...and are making your comments based on your perceptions rather than the truth. As for "fault" it primarily lies with Cabelas and their system. IF I HAD NOT MADE CLEAR MY EXPECTATIONS FOR PLACING THE ORDER I MIGHT AGREE WITH YOU BUT I did make those expectations extremely clear. So my expectations when they didn't fulfill the order was not out of line!
Old September 28, 2017, 10:40 PM   #36
Dearhunter61

Last thing...Cabellas reached out to me and made things right by me which was all I asked of them.
Old September 28, 2017, 11:28 PM   #37
lefteye

Does any business record a customer's "expectations"? How does an employee know a customer's "expectations" or the employer's ability to meet those expectations or any shipping company's ability to meet those expectations?
Old September 28, 2017, 11:51 PM   #38
Dearhunter61

It's pretty easy... the customer makes the expectations clear, the company clerk checks with supervisor to make sure they can meet those expectations before and as a qualification of the "order"...the customer is assured that his expectations will be met before placing the order.

IF these folks didn't know what they were talking about OR most likely they took the order knowing that it was possible that the order wouldn't be fulfilled because the company processes orders knowing that some might not be fulfilled but takes the orders anyway. Same way the airlines over book flights. So you believe this is a good way to do business? I do not order anything that's back ordered....period! I'm not interested in a backordered product!!!!! So in the case of the rifle I knew they were selling fast which is why I pushed the issue and when I was ASSURED the ordered would be fulfilled then, and only then, did I place the order!
Old September 29, 2017, 06:27 AM   #39
old roper

Dearhunter61,

Cabelas didn't have rifle in stock so you want them to make it right, what would they have to do to make it right? You asked few times expecting something other than what you got. I'm kind of guessing but if they gave you something that you felt would of made it right you won't be complaining right now.
NRA Life Member
Old September 29, 2017, 09:35 AM   #40
Dano4734

Buds for sure, I never got any deals from cabelas, bait and switch seems to be correct in my opinion. Also their prices on are higher than I can find elsewhere
Old September 29, 2017, 10:35 AM   #41
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post

That smacks of immaturity and someone who doesn't value the source of their income to me. What kind of retail employee gets miffed by an approach like that?
Dranrab - Perhaps in an older era, you would be correct. But modern retail has trained people to expect to get whatever they want when they want it. And as soon as they don’t get their way, or things don’t go as planned, or any issue occurs, they expect compensation.

As far as failing to value my source of income, nothing could be further from the truth. It is company loyalty which causes the weariness and frustration when the bottom line is perpetually hit by this sort of immature entitlement.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old September 30, 2017, 06:13 AM   #42
Dranrab

"But modern retail has trained people to expect to get whatever they want when they want it."

If modern retail is going to survive, in an online shopping world they should aspire to deliver just that. Especially when that retail outlet tells the customer they are going to give him what he wants when he wants it as a condition of placing the order. So the company has a decision to make. Either "make it right" and win a loyal customer, or don't "make it right" and lose the customer forever. Which is better for the bottom line?
Old September 30, 2017, 09:47 AM   #43
Dearhunter61

Frankly, I've been surprised by how many people have been conditioned to "expect" a retailer to not deliver on what they say and except it as the way to do business and are perfectly fine with what I consider very poor service.

I'm in the service industry and if we screw up we do whatever is necessary to make things right for our customers. I have always been taught to under promise and over deliver and if we screw up rather than dismissing the customer and risk alienating him or creating a situation where they might take their business elsewhere we take care of our customer. We are trained to make raving fans! Sometimes this means a credit, sometimes it means free product, sometimes it is simply getting creative in helping them with the issue, perhaps it's a simple as recommending a different solution that will net them the result they are looking to achieve. The goal is to be proactive when something happens...if a delivery is going to be delayed we pick up the phone and let them know and if it's going to be really late not only do we let them know but we call and offer options for our customer in order to make sure they are satisfied. Always it's about them and not us. I've always been taught if you take care of your customers they will take care of you.

This has NOTHING to do with "entitlement"...frankly that was the dumbest comment I've read on here and shows just how little he understands business. It costs companies a heck of a lot more to attract "more/new" customers than it will ever cost them to simply take care of their current customers! I always want a good price but I've always been willing to pay a little more if the service given is extraordinary.

It also seems there are a lot of people that have extremely low standards when it comes to how businesses deal with them.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:15 PM   #44
Tallest

Dranrab... Dearhunter61...

I’m starting to think we’re coming at this from different angles. I entirely agree with the ideology of what you’re saying, but my experience has produced a lot of dissonance with the ideal. “Take care of the customer and they’ll take care of you” requires mutual respect. And when that mutual respect is there you have really great business relationships. But a lot of the time it’s lacking... completely. You need look no further than youtube to see tutorials where people are teaching others how to get something for nothing from modern, big-box retailers by making a stink and being the customer from hell. That, to me, is an indicator that something is going awry in our culture. That kind of customer will never be good for the bottom line no matter how well you treat them.

I’ll be the first to admit that maybe I was wrong, though. My original post in this thread was in response to frustration, based on my own experience, as to the Cabelas bashing tone the thread had taken. Dearhunter, it seems you were able to reach a productive resolution with Cabelas, and that’s great for all concerned.

Old October 1, 2017, 07:42 AM   #45
CLYA

On the way to Cabela's yesterday, I discussed this thread with my wife, who had been in retail for over 30 years. The words "what will you do, to make this right" immediately put her on the defensive. One item mentioned in a lot of those 30 years, is that the customer certainly, is not always right. Some will screw you over, and take advantage if they can.

Once back home, I read the first of the thread to her. It was then, "well, maybe, there's a point, to a degree".

Getting back to Cabela's, I went to check out muzzle loaders. Being one of the large Cabela's, they had a good stock of various black powder rifles for the hands on experience. Much better than internet pics, IMO. I personally prefer to see the gun I'm buying, before purchase. Who knows, what you'll get when ordering online. Always makes me wonder where all the internet returns go. I can at least inspect packaging at a brick & mortar, for tell tell signs of restock.

I prefer these stores to remain in business. I'm well aware that it cost more, than online sales, and I'm willing to pay more, to an extent. I have got some exceptional deals at Cabela's which I mentioned previously. Yesterday, it was bullets, powder, and primers. Just put them in the bag, no haz-mat fees, and all of that. The store was busy.
Old October 1, 2017, 10:16 AM   #46
RC20

If it were not for Cabalas and Sportsman's, we would have no powder or bullet choices in town.

We would have virtually no reloading choices (supplies, parts, pieces etc) in town.

For the critics, you try to run a big operation with thousands of employees and see how you do?

Yes there are mistakes, sometimes outright screw ups. Its a touch business with Cabella up for sale, Sportsman's a swell?

Yep, the world changes. Adapt or not, your choice.

So far the only thing I have gotten beating my head against the "it ain't like it used to be wall" is a bloody forehead. After a while I figured out how not to make it hurt nearly so much.

And yes attitude means a lot. Courtesy goes a long ways.

Try to deal with the whinny public all day long. You may be the 32nd person they dealt with and the first 31 were jerks.