The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 13, 2017, 12:23 AM   #26
HiBC

Mobuck,have you actually done any fireforming?
Old September 13, 2017, 12:40 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
The 7.62x39 is such a small case with a 30 cal bullet, I doubt if anything measurable would result from "improvement".
Agreed--Inherent limitations. Might be worth it if there's an increase in consistent accuracy--maybe.
Old September 13, 2017, 01:07 AM   #28
HiBC

Once again,I just don't have interest. I'm not building one. In post 10,there is a link to an article.
Take the article with skepticism if you choose.
Thearticle mentioned about 2500 fps with a150 gr Sierra. Military 7.62x39 is < 2400 fps with a 123 gr bullet.
Is 25 gr of bullet and 100 fps significant???
Its in the eye of the beholder.

A 150 gr 30 cal bullet at 2500 fps sounds like solid deer medicine to me.
Old September 13, 2017, 01:11 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
Is 25 gr of bullet and 100 fps significant???
Agree with that too. Especially if you can get a sexy bullet that is more efficient.
Old September 14, 2017, 10:50 PM   #30
Scorch

I doubt many of the cases would split during fire forming, people fire form cases all the time. Occasionally you lose one, but that is the exception rather than the norm.

The biggest question I would have is what would it be used for? Informal range time? Hunting? I know, "why do it?" isn't the question, the question is "why not?" The OP will have many opportunities to ask himself why, let's not try to discourage him. But it sounds like a fun exercise, nonetheless. About 35 years ago, a friend asked why I didn't turn my 22 Hornet into a K-Hornet, and I asked him why I should. He eventually bought the rifle from me and did the improving, learned a lot and had a good time doing it. This is about the same thing, improve the 7.62x39 and gain about 200 fps but have something unusual to show off. I say do it!