The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 29, 2017, 09:59 AM   #1
GregC Pa

.300 wsm help please

All,

I am losing my mind with my model 70 sporter in .300 WSM. Gun is new as of June. Purchased for Moose hunt in 4 weeks.

Make a long story short, I sighted in initially with 180 gr. Win Powerpoints. 1" groups at 100.

Ever since then I have tried 180 AB Nosler Custom, 180 Nosler Partition in Fed, 180 Trophy Bonded in Fed, 165 Nosler partition and nothing shoots better than 4" at 100.

I went out this past Sunday with the power points to make sure something did not come loose and shot the same 1" group.

Why do the powerpoints shoot well and NOTHING else? I don't want to hunt moose with powerpoints.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
Old August 29, 2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Scorch

What difference does it make what bullet you shoot a moose with? The old Power Points, Core Lokt, and other cup and core bullets have killed millions of deer, elk, and even moose over the past century. Shoot what the rifle likes!

As to the solution for your rifle, you are going to have to find a load it likes, probably by reloading. Or just keep shooting Power Points.
Old August 29, 2017, 12:11 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...don't want to hunt moose with power points..." Why not? They'll kill Bullwinkle deader'n spit just as fast as any over priced No$ler bullet. Sight 'em in 1.5" high at 100 to be on target at 200 and 6.9" low at 300. At least you'll have a load your rifle likes. You really don't have enough time to work up another load and get enough practice with it. You need to practice at 100 yards, off hand, on a 9" pie plate until you can hit it every time.
What powders have you tried? Or are all those bullets in factory ammo? If so, it means your rifle just doesn't like No$ler ammo. Anyway, 4" is accurate enough for Bullwinkle. Kill zone on a moose is roughly 18". The important part is consistency, not the group size.
Old August 29, 2017, 12:21 PM   #4
VoodooMountain

I keep reading about how picky these newer m70 rifles are.

PowerPoints would work otherwise it sounds like a handloading proposition.

Normally I would suggest tweaking the action screws or bedding but if the pp bullets shoot into 1" it may not help much.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:03 PM   #5
jmr40

I wouldn't pick that bullet as my 1st choice either. But this close to the hunt that is what I'd use. At all but extreme conditions it'll be just fine.

You'll probably do much better hand loading and finding a better bullet that shoots well. But there is no time for that now. Practice with what you have and develop confidence in making a hit instead of worrying about having the perfect bullet for the job.

Winston Churchill
Old August 29, 2017, 03:27 PM   #6
black mamba

Accuracy is more important than bullet construction. The Power Points will work, maybe not at all angles, though. Just put it behind the shoulder into the boiler room, and get ready to do some knife work.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:35 PM   #7
taylorce1

Yep, shoot the power points and quit pulling your hair out. The moose won't know that you didn't shoot him with a premium bullet anyway.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:57 PM   #8
Deaf Smith

Go to some of the Alaskan game forums and ask them if Power Points work on Moose. I bet the PPs are the most popular bullets used on Moose.

Deaf
Old August 29, 2017, 04:33 PM   #9
RC20

Not a clue if they are great or .....

But a Moose is not a hard critter to kill.

A good shot will do it.

Can't even remember what I was using when I (ahem) participated in the one moose (or half) I got.

FC of some kind for Caribous as they shot as good as my hand loads (and there was always a possibility of a shot at a moose though never did, we saw one with sheet of plywood on each side of his head though!)

My brother shot enough to develop a preference, but will have to ask him.

1" is a nice group for any hunting gun, count your blessings there is a factory load it likes!

Also tells you all is well, just has a serious preference only hand loading will change.
Old August 30, 2017, 03:59 PM   #10
briandg

Do I understand correctly that you are shooting factory ammo?

Maybe you should try the Speer deep curl or grand slam ammo. I suggest that you try the Remington core locked.

Any premium ammo, rem, win, fed, any big brand will perform on moose properly. Moose isn't a rhino, it's about like an elk.

Shoot whatever gives you accuracy within two inches, imo.
Old August 30, 2017, 04:02 PM   #11
briandg

Another question, are you trying these with a cold barrel? That's what your hunting shots will be. Don't get wrapped up in group size. With a cold barrel, do your first 2-3rounds hit accurately and on target, or are those first rounds scattered as well?
Old August 30, 2017, 06:43 PM   #12
hooligan1

Did anyone askbyou if you chronoed that factory load and then the handload...........well therein could lie your answer.
Old August 30, 2017, 10:24 PM   #13
disseminator

My Model 70 featherweight 300 WSM really likes 200-210 grain bullets best. If you can, try some heavier ones. I handload, but if I didn't I would try to find some of the new Federal Premium 200 grain EDGE bullets. They are a newer version of the Trophy Bonded Tip and will serve you well on your moose hunt if your gun likes them. ( Available at MidwayUSA )

I shoot a hand loaded 200 Barnes LRX in my 300 about 2850 fps and it works GOOD.

Good Luck on your hunt! Sounds fun.

Last edited by disseminator; August 30, 2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added Links