The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 4, 2017, 10:29 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

Marlin 336 stock by Champion

I'm a duracoat addict and love painting most of my firearms. I want to paint my Marlin 336 next in a snow camo, but I'm not sure if I want to paint the wood furniture on it.
I saw that there is a polymer stock/forend set sold by Champion for $50. Was thinking about getting it to paint and put the wood furniture in the parts bin. I'm reading mixed reviews on it though. Anybody have it for their 336? Good or bad?
Old August 4, 2017, 05:54 PM   #2
jmr40

If you have a 336C with factory walnut I'd hesitate to paint it, or any gun with decent wood. If you have one of the budget versions with cheaper wood then I might do it. I'm not familiar with that stock, but haven't seen any synthetic stocks for lever actions that look good. And at that price point wouldn't think it promising.

My personal opinion.... I don't have an issue with any of the synthetic stocked bolt guns and semi's being painted. Or even any with cheap wood. Technically not even a lever. But I've never seen a lever action done in a way that I thought was pleasing. I guess it could be done.

Winston Churchill
Old August 7, 2017, 10:38 AM   #3
TrueBlue711

I agree with hesitating about painting the wood. I think I'm going to go ahead and get that synthetic stock and paint that. For only $50, it's not that big of a risk. I read a lot of issues with the forend not fitting well, but isn't that of a big issue if you know how to use a dremel tool.
Old August 7, 2017, 01:59 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

The Champion stocks get mixed reviews, but generally don't present major fitment problems.
There are some reviews on the Marlin Owners forums, if you want to do some searching.

As long as you're defiling a lever gun, you might as well do it with plastic rather than walnut. (I'm with jmr40. Painted/coated leverguns don't look good. I'd rather see rust and abuse than an artificial surface coating.)
Old August 8, 2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Scorch

If it was me, I would go ahead and spend the extra few dollars for the camo version. I't bound to look better than home made.
Old August 18, 2017, 05:58 PM   #6
ThomasT

I believe RamLine still offers plastic stocks for the 336 with the barrel band on the forearm. But they cost more than $50.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:01 AM   #7
truenorthern

I used one

It was plug and play. yes, you will find mixed reviews; of course there is always something better. For your application you are good to go with these stocks.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:53 AM   #8
Deaf Smith

I never would think if duracoating wood, especially on a Marlin 336.

I like 'em as the are!

Deaf