The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 25, 2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Who Dey William

Thompson Center .243

Cabelas is running a 'gun of the week' deal on the T/C Compass. I've been wanting a .243 for a while and 50 bucks off from Cabelas plus 75 bucks in rebates from T/C would bring the total price, including scope bases, to $225. That sounds pretty sweet to me... and it's payday. Any reason to not pull the trigger?

I plan on going to the store to see if I like it/ it fits me well, but I won't bother if people with experience with the firearm tell me all that glitters isn't gold.
Old August 26, 2017, 11:46 AM   #2
ShootistPRS

From the reviews that I have seen and the 1MOA guarantee that comes with the rifle (with premium ammo) it seems like a no-brainer. It comes with a trigger that adjusts from 3.5 to 5 pound pull which is a good hunting range and needs optics because it has no sights mounted. The 243 is a great round for this light weight rifle and you won't have to be worried about banging the stock up because it is an all weather composite that is free floating the barrel.
If it fits well it should be a great hunting rifle.
Old August 26, 2017, 12:05 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

MSRP is $399. Rifling twist is 1 in 10. Odd for a .243/6mm, but it'll do. LOP's a tick short at 13.25, but that fixable for little money. Assuming it needs fixing for you. Mind you, $225 is hard to beat for a hunting rifle with a 5 round detachable mag.
"...free floating the barrel..." Guarantees nothing.
Old August 26, 2017, 01:10 PM   #4
ShootistPRS

A free floated barrel guarantees that the stock won't interfere with the barrel. the accuracy of the gun depends on a few other items. The gun comes with a $1000 guarantee of 1 MOA accuracy. That is enough money to buy four more guns at his price.
Old August 26, 2017, 06:06 PM   #5
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Rifling twist is 1 in 10. Odd for a .243/6mm, but it'll do.
Not odd at all, 1:10 has been the standard twist rate for the .243 Win since it was introduced by Winchester in the 1950's. With today's bullets it is a little slow if you want to shoot 105+ grains, but it still works fine with everything up to 100 grains. Remington went with a 1:9 twist only after they failed to see success with the 6mm Remington in a 1:12 twist it originally was introduced in.

Last edited by taylorce1; August 26, 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old August 26, 2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Lohman446

I was in the market for a budget 243 awhile ago. Bought a TC Venture over the Ruger because of a sale and MOA guarantee. I've shot some federal through it and both kinds (I settled on the copper powershock) were well within MOA. Mine shoots half that with most three shot groups forming one elongated horizontal line.

Tags
.243 , thompson center