The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 2015, 08:54 AM   #1
brasscollector

Springfield 84c scope mount

I am going to get my hands on a rather clean springfield 84c 22 rifle. Not being as young as I once was, and enjoying optics as much as I do I was entertaining the idea of adding a scope to the new addition. I see that there is not much available and what is out there is pricey. I have read on other forums where people have super-glued the mount to the receiver.. not going to happen here. Are there any other reasonable alternatives? It has a round receiver like my Wards W.F./Mossberg.
Old October 17, 2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

There is a side mount, for the LH side of the receiver to match these. I would take a look at Weaver, and a few other manufacturers. The mount will need to be mounted by screws, so you'll have to drill and tap the receiver.
Old October 18, 2015, 07:36 AM   #3
brasscollector

No mounting holes drilled at all, a blank slate. I see the O.D. if the receiver tube is the same as my old Mossberg which gets me to thinking. Were most of those old .22's with the round receiver the same diameter? If so, it would be an easy task one would think to find a mount and have some holes drilled/tapped. I would just deal with the irons but it has a blade style rear sight with a notch and these are by far the worst irons for me to try and focus with beyond 50yrds.
Old October 25, 2015, 08:16 AM   #4
brasscollector

Just to post a follow-up. I got the #2 weaver mount and the #49350 scope base. I drilled + tapped 2 holes into the receiver with ordinary bits and my automotive grade taps. It went really easy, mush softer steel than I assumed it was. Mount is on nice and straight. Had to re-work the bolt handle to clear the scope turrets and carve the bolt handle relief out a bit to get it all back in line.
Old October 25, 2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I have found that most .22 bolt action rifle receivers are not hardened, (they will easily file and drill), and some older are cast iron. 22's just don't have the high pressures on the bolt face that require hardening and tempering like the higher calibers. However, there are some spots that could have stood heat treatment, such as where the bolt handle locks in the receiver slot, as that wears down over time, and can create excessive headspace. It's not so much from chamber pressure, but the amount of moving the bolt handle up and down over many times. Of course, heat treating a .22 rifle receiver, would mean that the rifle would be more expensive, too. One only sees such on the more expensive rifles, generally target types.
Old October 30, 2015, 09:27 PM   #6
Drm50

I have put Weaver one piece scope bases on many old guns. I forget the number
but I think I used the one for 742/ 760 Rems. You can use632 tap and #31
drill, common size. I use 6-48 gun taps because I have them already. Brownel
sells one piece base in several radius for groove mounting 22 rings. I always
like at least 3 screws.I don't think bolt handle will be issue on your rifle.