The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 9, 2010, 06:19 AM   #1
Firepower!

.357 Model 19-4 Smith & Wesson

Hi

I have recently purchased a 19-4 SW in .357 Magnum to be my backup handgun instead of a semiauto or a .38spl revolver.

I would like hear about your experiences with Mod 19-4 and reviews of this Combat Magnum.

What do you think about 19-4 as a back up gun?

Thanks
Old January 9, 2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Sport45

A K-frame S&W isn't exactly a pocket gun. What are you backing up with it, a rifle?

My idea of a back up gun (but I've never thought about carrying one) would be much smaller.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:40 AM   #3
MoBart

well, if its a 2 1/2" gun then I guess it could be a back up, but would be getting tough to throw it in a pocket unless your a pretty big guy. I'm a fat guy, and I cant throw one in my pocket. I have carried K or medium frame short barrels more often then anything else for a conceld/off duty weapon and they are perfect for what I need. If you need a full sized revolver for a bakc up, you either need to quit watching action movies or move to a better neighborhood. The main draw back to short barrel K frames is weight. You add teh weight of a 2 1/2" mod 19 to what ever your primary carry piece is, and wow your toting alot of weight.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:47 AM   #4
gwnorth

The only caveat with the M19 is steer clear of the lightweight .357 loads (125gr and less - a good rule for any K frame really). Of all the K frame models, the 19 seems to have had the greatest problem with cracked forcing cones (at the bottom flat spot). Even then, it remains a relatively very small number of 19's that have had the problem. But it does seem that shooting a lot of lightweight .357 loads is much more likely to cause it then sticking with heavy loads (145gr, 158gr, 180gr, those sorts of loads), or primarily shooting .38spl+p instead. I've only had my M65-3 K frame a short while, but I've been loading it with 130gr .38spl+p Winchester PDX for HD role.

One article on the issue:
http://www.gunblast.com/Butch_MagnumLoads.htm
Old January 9, 2010, 04:44 PM   #5
drrpg01

Model 19 is one of my favorites. I would agree I wouldn't think of it as a backup, but to each his own. I like Speer 158 gr out of mine because of the forcing cone issue already mentioned, but mine is 4". With 158 gr, it kicks like hell and it's LOUD. Remington Golden Saber is a good option too, especially for a snub. Though it's 125 gr, the pressure is low enough to keep the velocity down a bit.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:23 AM   #6
Firepower!

I sort of agree that its a bit too big of a frame for a back up gun.

Tags
backup , sw model 19-4