The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 26, 2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Telgriff

Tikka stock Rings

Have had a look through the forums for the mount and rings that come on the Tikka's and have found mixed reports - Some lose zero after a few trips to the range etc.

Has anyone found this problem with the rings? It will be the ones on the T3 Lite and will hold a Bushnell Elite 3200.
Old October 26, 2008, 06:44 PM   #2
jmr40

I have 2 Tikka's, a .308 amd a 30-06 and have had no problems with the factory rings losing zero. I did mess up one of the mounting screws when I mounted the scope because the hex wrench slipped inside the screw. I was able to get it out and replaced all of the screws on both rifles with better quality screws from a hardware store. I think this made a big difference and I felt better about getting the screws tighter. The total cost for both guns was around $4.00.
Old October 26, 2008, 07:20 PM   #3
wyobohunter

my friend (T3 Lite/300 wm) is the guy who lost his zero after a few range trips... can't definatly blame the rings, maybe he did a poor mounting job. I didn't use the supplied rings on mine (T3 Lite 30-06) just because the look and feel cheap to me, I bought the Talley rings. Maybe I threw my money away? Not sure, like the Talley rings but I wish they were a little lower.
Old October 26, 2008, 07:50 PM   #4
sholling

The stock rings worked fine for me, I just liked the looks of the DedNutz better.
Old October 26, 2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Telgriff

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad to hear the stock mount and rings will do for the time being, I do like the look of the DedNutz. I just cant find them sold anywhere in Australia.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:08 PM   #6
longtooth50

I have a T3 in 300wsm. No problem w/ the stock rings & they have been on 8yrs & have changed scopes one time.
Old October 27, 2008, 01:44 PM   #7
countryrebel

I do not like the stock rings. I think they work ok but I went with game reapers one piece also. Here is my T3 lite in 243 waiting for the Mueller Tac II 3-10x44. I emailed DNZ about what height I needed for the scope and they said medium so here it is.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:20 PM   #8
drmiller100

on my t3 lite, the rings moved "forward" in the holes until the one little tang hit the front of the hole that stopped it.

I noticed it, loosened the scope, checked rings for "straight", and re-sited it in.

no movement since.

Moral: Set the one ring to where recoil won't move the ring further "forward."
Old October 31, 2008, 08:59 AM   #9
spruilldog

so far so good

T3 lite in 7mm-08. So far so good with the stock rings. Probably have 75 rounds through it. I am amazed at the number of people who buy these very light guns chambered for things like 300 WSM and 300 Win mag. I think these hard kickers in a light gun and you may have some problems with the mounts, especially if you have a heavy scope.
Old November 1, 2008, 12:56 AM   #10
stevelyn

Mine has done okay so far.

I removed and replaced the scope a couple of times and whanged away with several rounds with little or no loss of zero. I also spent most of September boonie-hoppin' on a 4-wheeler with it slung across my back, getting in and out of boats and trucks and bumping it on all sorts of things during the course of my adventures and it's still 2 1/2" high @ 100 yrds.

Now, I have a fairly light and compact scope on it too. It's a Leupold FX-II fixed 4x 33mm. So that may have something to do with the rings being trouble free.

I'm going out to one of the nearby islands to whack a cow with it soon.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.

Tags
rings , tikka