The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2006, 09:10 AM   #1
mufb1

Help wi Remington 870 assembly.

Hello all, I need some advise on reassembly of my 870. This is a 20ga youth express model. Let me say I am no stranger to 870's. I'm retired PD and cleaned squad shotguns for years. This one has me stumped. I bought this one about 5 years ago mostly for birds, bunnies, and deer. It has performed flawlessly. I've stripped it numerous times with no problem. On this occassion, I can't get it back together. First, I stripped out the barrel, forearm, bolt and carrier, and trigger group. I cleaned and lubed all. Trigger group re-installed, action bar lock is below the the left connector, cocked and safety on. The problem is when I try to reinstall the bolt and carrier. Put the slide block assembly and breech bolt on the rear of the action bars. When I guide them in it is supposed to be stopped by the right shell latch. It doesn't. Seems to slide right in till stopped by the left shell latch. When I press the left shell latch to push the action bars in further. Extremelly difficult. Cannot be cycled. Even when pushed to the rear, it will only go halfway back. Do not wish to force it and break something. Never had this problem before. I've got two other 870's in the house and they strip and reassemble in the same way with no problems. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old October 22, 2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

??????????

When you have a weird one like this, you work it out by the "add one piece" method.

In other words, take everything back out, then install ONE part at a time, starting with the action bar and forearm assembly.

See if it slides in and fits.
Then remove the action bar assembly and put the slide assemble on the action bars and see if THAT slides into place.
Then remove it and add the bolt.
Keep adding parts until something causes a problem.

This way is easier to see just what's causing things to hang up.
You just keep installing parts assemblies until something causes a problem.
Old October 23, 2006, 05:57 AM   #3
mufb1

Thanks.

Dfarriswheel, thanks for the suggestion. Tried the one at a time approach and found the right shell latch is bent. The carrier arm was sliding underneath it. A slight judicious bending and all works properly. Thanks for the help.
Old October 23, 2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Watch the latch closely.

Often, bending a spring induces microscopic cracking due to the stress and the part will break later.

In other words, you wouldn't want to trust this latch on a defense gun.
Old October 23, 2006, 11:29 PM   #5
mufb1

Most certainly will watch it. This one is for "squirrels and such". Got an older Wingmaster 12ga for the house.
Old October 24, 2006, 08:50 AM   #6
9mmMike

squirrels and such......

Love that movie.

"Whipped 'em again, eh Josie."
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!