The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 2, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1
old bear

Options for a refinish:

As we all know a quality refinish can be a time consuming and expensive project, which few shops are capable of doing properly. So my question is, has anyone had any experience with powder coating a carbon steel revolver? If so I would love to hear your experiences either good or bad.

Thanks for your time.
Old October 2, 2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Scorch

Quote:
a quality refinish can be a time consuming and expensive project, which few shops are capable of doing properly.
Most gunshop workers have no knowledge about refinishing. Most gun shops are not equipped to do refinishing, at best they just polish metal and then have someone who will hot tank the parts for them. I have seen too many guns ruined by unskilled people attempting to refinish afirearms without the proper tools.

Powder coating goes on very thick, interfering with close tolerances normally associated with firearms.

One option is Brownells' bake-on coatings. These are sprayed on like paint then baked on, where they fuse and bond with the surface. Another option is GunKote, which goes on as a spray, and then is baked and fuses with itself and the bonds to metal. Both go on very thin, typically less than .001" thick when cured. I know several very skilled people who do this professionally.
Old October 3, 2010, 09:56 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

truly finished

Accurate Plating & Weaponry www.apwcogan.com

Robar www.robarguns.com
Old October 5, 2010, 01:12 PM   #4
swmike

and then there is Ferratic Nitride.

It's a heat treat type process that hardens the surface. Can also be applied to the bore to give similar performance to chrome lining. Some say this coating negates the need to oil and is hard enough to resist scratching by even a file.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 5, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
George R

Powder Coating a Revolver

As Scorch posts, powder coating goes on thick. My experience has been similar, plus it won't burnish in like gun kote and therefore isn't very suitable for firearms. It was a fad finish a few years ago, but most refinishers don't do it anymore.