The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 4, 2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

Problem with my BFR during cocking

I have a Magnum Research BFR single action revolver chambered in .454 Casull. Up til now it has been flawless, equal to the feel of a Freedom Arms revolver. I have never shot maximum loads in it. The other day I went to shoot it and I noticed on the first shot that during cocking it had an odd feel to it. Kind of a "catch" in it that I've never felt before. The second shot, the catch was much more noticeable, I mean downright HARD to complete the cocking action. The 3rd shot was even harder, I mean it downright refused to cock beyond about halfway, so I gave up and put it away.

Tonight I looked at it in more detail. I took the cylinder out to look at it better. It looks like as I am pulling the hammer back that the "catch" occurs just about the same time that the transfer bar is sliding up to the firing pin. Oddly enough, I find that if I hold the revolver in an upright position, the catch is still noticeable, but it will completely cock like normal. If I point the revolver straight down, it won't cock past that halfway point at all.

I did a thorough job of cleaning it to make sure there was no gunk or something built up inside. The Flushout stuff did a remarkable job of cleaning a bit of carbon buildup on the frame, but there was no difference at all in the metallic-feeling catch. Finally I put some Rem Oil into the moving parts but again there was no difference at all.

Is this a simple problem that an average gunsmith might remedy or do I need to send it back to Magnum Research?
Old October 5, 2010, 08:41 AM   #2
DnPRK

What does the barrel-to-cylinder gap look like?
Old October 5, 2010, 08:48 AM   #3
aarondhgraham

Send it home,,,

The gun is too new for you to have to worry about it,,,
Call their support number and arrange to send it back for repair.

No sense messing around with it,,,
Let the people who built it do the repairs,,,
It should still be under some level of warranty.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 5, 2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Doodlebugger45

DnPRK, I wondered the same thing at first because those revolvers have extremely close barrel-cylinder gaps. But as mentioned, I took the cylinder out completely and it feels the same way.

Aaron, I am thinking of sending it in. It is out of warranty, but I don't want someone to screw it up worse.
Old October 5, 2010, 12:18 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like the transfer bar is hanging up on the firing pin, a fairly common problem. When you hold the gun muzzle up, the weight of the transfer bar holds it down and away from the firing pin; muzzle down, it hits.

I don't know that gun or have a schematic, but the transfer bar may be broken or have a spring that is broken. It should be a fairly easy fix if parts are available; otherwise, off to the factory. If the problem is what I think it is, they should fix it for free, warranty or not. I would call them, describe the problem, and they might send a shipping ticket so you pay nothing. (This is the way you find out how good a company's customer service really is.)

Jim