The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 17, 2001, 05:43 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

Which reminds me

The other ongoing Uzi thread reminded me of a pet peeve, the Uzi recoil spring. does anyone here happen to know of where too find either a slightly heavier spring or a short supplemental spring which can bee added to one of these?
Old September 18, 2001, 08:28 PM   #2
salvo

I have read that you can add 2" or less of a 1911 recoil spring to your existing spring and it bumps the rate of fire way up. I have not tried it and dont feel the need. If you do, let me know how it works.
Old September 18, 2001, 11:28 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

Well, thanks, that seems cheap and easy. The thought here is to try something like this so as to provide a little bit faster cyclical rate on auto and a little bit better shove forward on semi auto (as to not have to wait quite as long between trigger pull and shell strike), but not to go overboard or prevent the bolt from going back far enough.
Old September 19, 2001, 03:20 PM   #4
salvo

That should do it! If I remember right it boosted the rpm to 900-1000
For a not so radical boost you can buy a semi bolt buffer and trim it shorter so the bolt goes back far enough to function properly. Or you can make one (that's what I did) it is .45" thick and is two pieces. The first piece is cut just like the stock buffer and is made out of plastic and fits where the stock buffer fits, then the second piece is square to fit the receiver and is made out of rubber and goes in right after the first piece. Just install the bolt assembly. As usual with the new 2 piece buffer behind it. The recoil spring rod will stick out from the front of the bolt .45" but it does not matter.
You will get much less battering of the receiver, a shorter distance for the bolt to travel and a slightly compressed spring, that will speed things up a bit and protect your investment.
Old September 22, 2001, 06:27 PM   #5
MeekAndMild

Battering? I wasn't aware this was any sort of problem except with Israeli +P ammo.
Old September 22, 2001, 08:51 PM   #6
salvo

Your right they are built stout and you would have to shoot a heck of a lot of ammo (I would think) to cause any damage to the receiver, but then again the receiver is the registered part and I want mine to be around a long time. You can feel the difference in the rearward slam of the bolt, it is much softer.

I also remembered reading about a few others that lightened their bolts to get a higher rate of fire, sounded like a job for a good machine shop though, the steel in the bolt is very hard.