The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 19, 2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Model12Win

44 Dave, please read my previous post to clarify what I was saying. Thank you.

Well gang, I'm going to be visiting the Bass Pro Shop in Independence, MO this coming Monday on my way home for X-mas. I called ahead and they told me they have everything I need for a .44 percussion revolver, including real black powder. That was quite the relief because I've been hunting around everywhere for components but no places within reasonable driving distance has any balls, caps, or real black powder. A shame, but alsas, I live in Kansas and have family in Illinois, and the route I take home (I70) has a Bass Pro right off the highway there in Independence. Sweet!

I think it might be settled in this ol' brain of mine. I'm going to nab a New Model Army! I've just heard so many good things about them as a "starter" gun for a person new to the hobby. I want to thank everyone for there knowledge and time!
Old December 20, 2013, 09:08 AM   #27
Doc Hoy

Model 12

Good choice. (Just my opinion)

Since you live so far away, you might want to pick up a coupla cans of the real stuff rather than just one.

In addition, you might want to consider casting your own round balls.

You will eventually get so good at it that your consistency will exceed Hornady balls.

Merry Christmas.
Old December 20, 2013, 03:43 PM   #28
SIGSHR

The Dragoon is my favorite BP revolver, I like the heft and feel, firing full loads out of it is like firing 38 Specials out of an S&W N frame. But yes, get both. The sights are better on the Remington.
Old December 21, 2013, 03:41 PM   #29
Model12Win

One reason I think I'm going with the Remy is because I also want to shoot Hodgdon 777 powder with it. Supposedly Hodgdon doesn't recommend using a charge over 35 grains in a BP revolver. The Remy however has a max charge right around 35 grains.
Old December 21, 2013, 03:59 PM   #30
powder-n-lead

like doc says you will cast some very good ones, and it is very self satisfing to make them yourself and the cost savings allows more bank for the buck.
Old December 21, 2013, 04:20 PM   #31
powder-n-lead

enyaw your rite, I think any more it is a crap shoot on the guns, I know any large company will spend only so much time (money) on gun inspection, and factorys like pietta and uberti it is a matter of when will they replace there cnc tooling cutters, how often are the machines re-calibrated, ect. and who can guess how many run down the line without a glance. they know it is cheaper buy far to deal with cost of returns vrs. building more perfect guns..

but I will say this, considering the enormous demand on production times to get these out,I think pietta, and uberti do a pretty good job, as in the early day production was much smaller. I am picky about all my guns and had to learn to fix em myself, or be at the mercy and expense of letting someone else handel it for me. opinions will vary, but I will work on the new ones because they can all be improved upon especially in the action tuneing dept. an it is very satisfiying to know I did it myself (pat on back now) yea you will mess some up but that is the way we learn and in no time a person will save alot of money and agravation. .
Old December 22, 2013, 07:15 PM   #32
DD4lifeusmc

Dragoon vs 1858

Both are well made guns, and for the most part you really don't need to worry much about fit finish and reliable operation regardless whom you buy from.
Personally a little touch up here and there to the wood or brass, and even the inner working is a good hobby, helps you to learn your gun and make it your own.
Yes the Dragoon can hold a larger powder charge, but doesn't have to.
Like reloading modern shells. Bigger, faster, more power doesn't necessarily translate to better accuracy.
You mentioned self defense. How did you mean it? On the street, in the house, or hunting.
On the street I would lean towards 1858 as it is smaller and lighter physically.
But I feel it would have adequate stopping power in most any common every day scenarios.
In the house either would get the job done.
To me both the colt and the Remmie have nice lines.
I own several of each. I roll paper cartridges and leave both loaded for months at a time. Other then the occasional bad cap, they have always went boom!
In the end it will come down to personal choice.
Enjoy whichever one you choose, and happy shooting!!
Old December 22, 2013, 10:41 PM   #33
kilimanjaro

Choose one or both, but buy a matched pair, sequential numbers. Also buy two spare cylinders, a powder flask, etc., when you can, and get a nice wood case made for the pair and all accessories. You'll have a real heirloom there.
Old December 23, 2013, 12:00 AM   #34
James K
Member In Memoriam

Around 1858, the Army asked Sam Colt to come up with a .44 caliber revolver that wasn't as d****d heavy as the Dragoon. IMHO, they were pretty smart guys.

Jim
Old December 23, 2013, 01:34 AM   #35
Model12Win

Quote:
Both are well made guns, and for the most part you really don't need to worry much about fit finish and reliable operation regardless whom you buy from.
Personally a little touch up here and there to the wood or brass, and even the inner working is a good hobby, helps you to learn your gun and make it your own.
Yes the Dragoon can hold a larger powder charge, but doesn't have to.
Like reloading modern shells. Bigger, faster, more power doesn't necessarily translate to better accuracy.
You mentioned self defense. How did you mean it? On the street, in the house, or hunting.
On the street I would lean towards 1858 as it is smaller and lighter physically.
But I feel it would have adequate stopping power in most any common every day scenarios.
In the house either would get the job done.
To me both the colt and the Remmie have nice lines.
I own several of each. I roll paper cartridges and leave both loaded for months at a time. Other then the occasional bad cap, they have always went boom!
In the end it will come down to personal choice.
Enjoy whichever one you choose, and happy shooting!!
I meant possible home defense or SHTF back up. I really think I'm going to nab a Remy when the cash cow starts to moo The government owes me a check any day now. Tomorrow I'm going to Bass Pro Shops on my way home for X-mas. I can't wait! I'm going to get everything I need to shoot my Father's '51 Colt Navy in .44 caliber, and I have a powder horn and spout coming in the mail. I'm excited to join the world of cap and ball revolvers!!!
Old December 25, 2013, 10:50 PM   #36
Jbar4Ranch

I have found with Walkers & Dragoons that the frame will show signs of peening in fairly short order directly behind the wedge when shot repeatedly with full loads. They are definitely crowd pleasers at a Cowboy Action shoot though!

I've never owned an 1858 pattern before (unless you count ROA's), but just corrected that oversight two days ago by ordering three from Cabela's Christmas black powder revolver sale - the steel frame Pietta is normally $269.99 and was marked down to $179.99 before Christmas. I just checked and it's now $229.99. There is also a $20 rebate AND a free "starter kit" consisting of flask, balls, lube, capper, measure, and wads, normally priced at... $75, I think.

SASS 47015
Old December 26, 2013, 06:39 AM   #37
dr1445

as of 12/26/13 6:30 am eastern time my computer is still showing the 179.99 price.
Old December 26, 2013, 08:36 PM   #38
Jbar4Ranch

That's odd... cached page maybe? I checked at work this morning when I read your post and it was $229.99, just like yesterday, and it's showing $229.99 on my laptop at home.

SASS 47015
Old December 26, 2013, 09:57 PM   #39
dr1445

i am showing the 229.99 price now. i got my order in last week, now i can wait another year an see about 1860.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:51 AM   #40
Rigmarol

Keep an eye peeled for sooner sales. I usually see them 2 to 3 times a year go on sale.