The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 25, 2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Beau2365

Subsonic ammo from marlin camp 9mm

Does anyone have the perfect receipe for a subsonic 9mm for a marlin camp gun. I am not a reloader but have a friend who is. He loaded me a test pack and each load hung in the barrel. Yep. the barrel. Even a regular 147gr hung in the barrel. The action kicks the shell but the bullet wont make it out of the gun. I have a AWC Can and want to shoot a subsonic load but cannot seem to find the formula. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old February 25, 2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Strafer Gott

First of all I'd like to see some data that demonstrates 9mm going supersonic from a camp nine. I've never heard a supersonic crack when shooting mine. I don't think I would download for use in my Marlin, and the case volume certainly doesn't let you step up 9mm much.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Beau2365

I'm not following you. You've never heard your 9mm go supersonic? Do you have a can for your camp 9mm? What do you shoot from it if your do have a can?
Old February 25, 2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Strafer Gott

A supersonic projectile makes a characteristic crack. I have not observed this.
People at the range have remarked on this as well. You might be using some of the hotter European loadings for 9mm. I had hoped for more of a boost from the longer barrel, but it does not seem to do much.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Mobuck

The "supersonic crack" is best heard when the bullet is fired at or near you. Let one of your buds zing a few past your head so you can hear it better.
Haysoos crap, I've shot a bajillion super sonic bullets and only heard the snap from those fired AT me.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:27 PM   #6
ThomasT

Most loads from a 9mm carbine that get 1150 from a pistol will get around 1300fps from the carbine barrel. I know because I have cronograghed them and thats plenty fast enough to be supersonic. Breaking the sound barrier takes about 1125fps/768mph.

If your jacketed bullets are sticking in the barrel you may want to try some lead bullet loads. Lead will need less force to get through the barrel. Be careful with low powered loads that don't make it out of the barrel. Get one stuck and fire a second round behind it and bulge your barrel and your gun is finished forever. Marlin doesn't work on them or have parts so far as I know.

Why don't you shoot some standard 9mm factory loads through your suppressor and see how loud they are?
Old February 26, 2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Beau2365

Ratshooter,

Thank you. The 115's are a good bit loader than the 147's. I will try some lead and see how they sound.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Jim Watson

I would not shoot bare lead bullets through a suppressor unless it is one that can be disassembled and cleaned. Actually I wouldn't do it then to avoid the work of cleaning lead off the baffles.

I could probably develop a suitable load with the gun in hand.
I would start with a factory duplicate load and work down over a chronograph and see if I could get to 1050 fps before sticking a bullet.

Your guy is a danger to life and limb, you should tool up and do your own loading or find somebody experienced in the field.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Strafer Gott

If they make supersonic, they aren't supersonic very long, definitely not at 100m. They aren't much of a carbine round.
Old February 27, 2013, 07:51 AM   #10
truenorthern

BTDT

Unless you Just Have To Have It, no matter what! I would look for another platform.
I along with several others have threaded 9mm. Campers and not been happy with the results. I tried a 9mm. pistol can, and a huge 9mm sub gun can. All my testing was with 147 gr. sub son ammo.
There is way too much nioise coming from the action. I mean its Loud. Slowing the bolt down is really the only, complicated way to reduce the action port noise.