The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Okie47

FIRST POST

Looks like a great place with a lot of info. Among other guns, I have a nice Baby Desert Eagle II, full-size, polymer frame in .40 Cal. I have someone wanting to trade his .40 Sig Sauer, Model 2340 for it. He says I'm trading up and is assuming I will "throw in something". I haven't been able to find a price range for the Sig. The BDE is a good shooter but I think maybe it's name is a little over-rated. You rarely see any on the trade/sale sites. So, assuming the Sig is nice, would you recommend I hang on to my BDE or trade up, and if so, how much cash difference do you think is reasonable. I would really appreciate any opinions and it is time sensitive. I know Sig's are famous for many good reasons..the BDE is famous for being a BDE. Please help.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
DocHopper

Have never had the sig, summitgunbroker.com had them listed at 349.00. Supposed to be a good firearm just not a marketing success and was discontinued.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:21 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Sounds like you have a pistol you're perfectly comfortable and happy with. Why do you want to trade it again?
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 12, 2013, 11:30 PM   #4
Okie47

Thanks for the quick responses. It put the brakes on for me, long enough to check a couple of more sites and settle down. I am keeping my BDE. You're right, why trade to start with? I'm just needing my pistol fix. Thanks again.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5
tekarra

Welcome aboard Okie47.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

They're both good guns, and probably sell for about the same amount, in the "used" market.

I'd trade for the SIG 2340 ONLY if I wanted that particular model, and I wouldn't pay MUCH extra -- unless it was coming with a lot of extras.

(I had a P-2340 and it was fine, but I had other guns I liked better and eventually traded it away.) The 2340 was SIG's first polymer framed gun with an accessory rail.

Will the guy who wants to trade let you try it out before trading? Try it -- you might like it better than your Baby Eagle. You may find that your gun fits your hand better than the SIG.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:50 PM   #7
Okie47

well, the emailing negotiations started going south when I was told his buddy bought a BDE for 400.00 NIB at Academy...so I suggested we keep our pistols and move on. I still couldn't get that "why do you want to trade" comment out of my head, lol. thanks
Old February 15, 2013, 11:56 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
I still couldn't get that "why do you want to trade" comment out of my head, lol. thanks
It's a good one to ask yourself frequently when you're looking at making any kind of trade. I've made the mistake of trading a number of guns I liked just because I had an itch to scratch. I now try to ask myself why I'm making a trade as a way to prevent re-buying the same gun.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 16, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Supposed to be a good firearm just not a marketing success and was discontinued.
SIG enthusiasts are notoriously slow to try something new from SIG... It's like, "why are they doing that, all of the other SIGs are already perfect."

The 2340 was dropped but quickly reincarnated as the 2022, and it's still around. There's really not much difference in the two, and a barrel for one works in the other.