The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 20, 2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Prof Young

30 cal carbine????

Shooter:
When I was a kid one of my buddies had a 30 cal carbine, the type that was used in WWII. We had a good time shooting that gun when we could afford the ammo. Anyway for slightly nostalgic reasons I'm thinking about trying to find and buy one. It doesn't have to be authentic WWII vintage, a reproduction would be fine. I'm just starting my research. What should I look at?
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old April 20, 2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Nine the Ranger

I assume you're talking about the M1 Carbine.

I've heard Auto-Ordinance makes a very nice, new production version. One with a fixed stock and a wire/folder 'Paratrooper'. I can't speak to the handling of the rifles but they look nice and I would buy one at the right price.

I've also heard of some company making a clone in 9mm, but I can't speak for the truth behind it.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Prof Young

Yes!

Nine the Ranger:
Yes. The M1 Carbine. I could remember the "carbine" and "30 cal" but the "m1" was eluding me. Checked the net and got a lot of hits right away. At least now I know what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Prof Young
Old April 21, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4
taylorce1

I just picked up a Universal M1 carbine on the cheap before all the craziness hit. I even managed to stockpile about 3K rounds for it as well pretty rapidly before it became scarce. I haven't shot it much but what I have it is a pretty fun little rifle to have. I wish it was a real M1 so that if it ever broke there wouldn't be much hassle finding parts, but I only paid $250 for the rifle so I can't complain. If you can find one in good shape at a reasonable price I'd say buy it and have a lot of fun with it!

I picked up a scope mount for the Universal and think it migh make a decent coyote calling rifle with a 2.5 or 4X power scope on it (maybe a holosight). I only wish I could get the sights down to 50 yards as mine seems to be regulated for 100 out to 300 yards. I had to shoot way low to hit milk jugs at 50 yards, but could blast them easily at 100 yards. I think a 110 grain SP might be pretty fur friendly on coyotes and other varmints.
Old April 21, 2013, 09:45 AM   #5
kraigwy

I'd go the GI route as oppose to after market clones. They've been known to have problems.

Prices of the surplus carbines have gone up quite a bit but they still can be found on the CMP Auction site.

They are great guns and the ones from the CMP have been gone over by CMP Armors so you know they work and are safe.

Though they are out right now, the CMP also sells good ammo at reasonable prices ($200 for 500 rounds plus shipping). It's good ammo and functions well.

The Military Surplus Carbines are well worth the extra cost but will go no where but up in price.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 21, 2013, 10:28 AM   #6
cvc944

I agree with the recommendation to go GI. I paid what seemed to me to be way too much for my straight-up '43 10 years ago, and I'm glad today that I decided to spend that money. I'm not saying the new stuff is all bad, just saying the old stuff is really good and a better investment as well. I bought mine only to have a piece of America, but it is such a blast to shoot, that I soon started handloading for it.
Old April 21, 2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Death from Afar

Great, great, great rifle. I love them to bits. I only own and shoot the GI ones, and you can spend your lifetime researching them. The clones can be a mixed bag, but a good GI one is a great shooter.
Old April 21, 2013, 09:21 PM   #8
JWT

I would like a true GI M1 carbine but have yet to find a decent one I want a a price I'm willing to pay. I did pick up an Auto Odinance new copy a few years ago. Have put a few thousand rounds through it without any problems. For the price I'm quite saisfied with it.
Old April 21, 2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Ben Dover

I have been quite pleased with my Auto Ordnance/Kahr reproduction M-1 carbine.

It is as reliable, or perhaps a bit more so, than the one issued to me in 1961.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:09 PM   #10
RickB

A friend bought a commercial knock-off about ten years ago, and it was not of very good quality. It looked the part, but didn't function very well. I handled a then-new Auto-Ord at the '08 SHOT Show, and while I was impressed with the look and feel of it, compared to my own G.I. Carbine, the reports have been mixed.
Old April 22, 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Prof Young

Sounds like the real deal is the real deal

So from these posts it sound like maybe I should save my $$$ and look for the real thing, no reproduction. From internet research it looks like I'm going to need about $1200 to $1500 to get the real thing. Does that sound about right?
Live well be safe
Prof Young
Old April 23, 2013, 03:42 AM   #12
Death from Afar

I don't know what US prices are at that moment, but the thing is, that is simply an investment. Unless you shoot it to death, you simple wont loose your money on one. An excellent start point is " us m1 carbines " by Craig Riesche. This will really start you on the right path.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:55 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young
So from these posts it sound like maybe I should save my $$$ and look for the real thing, no reproduction. From internet research it looks like I'm going to need about $1200 to $1500 to get the real thing. Does that sound about right?
Going with a USGI is the right decision IMHO, you well always have the resale balue. The 1200-1500 is starting to get in to collector grade prices. A nice shooter that is a post war2 re-arsenal well run around 600-700+ for a Inland, the lower build number manufacturers can be higher. If you like the paratrooper stocks you can find the Italian ones very cheap compared to a GI like this one.