The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2012, 03:30 AM   #1
joey253

RIA 1911 problems

Hey all. I have a ria tactical 1911. The factory magazine works flawlessly. I use a cmc mag or a colt mag and it will feed the first round. When I shoot the first round the magazine drops. It will attempt to feed the next round but it is also dropping the mag at the same time. Help appreciated.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:55 AM   #2
scsov509

Quote:
Hey all. I have a ria tactical 1911. The factory magazine works flawlessly. I use a cmc mag or a colt mag and it will feed the first round. When I shoot the first round the magazine drops. It will attempt to feed the next round but it is also dropping the mag at the same time. Help appreciated.
Try this for a little troubleshooting. Lock the slide back and then insert one of the mags your having problems with and see if it locks firmly into place while the slide is locked open. If it does not then you know you've got a mag catch issue, but if it does it probably means you're not seating the magazines with enough force when loading them. If the mag catch is the problem the call Arnel at
RIA and they'll ship you out a replacement, their customer service rocks!
Old November 30, 2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Hawg

What scsov said. I use CMC mags in my tactical with no problems
Old November 30, 2012, 11:53 AM   #4
polyphemus

" The factory magazine works flawlessly"
So what's the issue?,use factory magazines and move on.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:06 PM   #5
oldone

You can take a file and enlarge the slot on the mag just enough to take away that problem. I had to that when I bought some P-14 mags, they where the only mags I could find for 1911A2 RIA.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
So what's the issue?,use factory magazines and move on.
Those ACT mags are the crappiest feeling mags I've ever used, plus they have a non removable bumper. I won't use a mag with a bumper.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:59 PM   #7
scsov509

Quote:
Those ACT mags are the crappiest feeling mags I've ever used, plus they have a non removable bumper. I won't use a mag with a bumper.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of ACT either. I had one downloaded to six rounds at a shooting event this summer, and when I went to speed load the mag during timed competition the base pad popped off and the mag dumped the six rounds all over the ground. I typically run only Wilson Combat mags, but ran the ACT's just because I had them laying around and wanted to see how reliable they'd run. That pretty much answered my question.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:30 AM   #8
crazycrave

I ran a cmc 8 shot in my brand new RIA 1911 G.I. today .. just messing with it and it didn't act like it wanted to work as pushing the mag in about half way up it would hang so i slapped it in with my hand and as already said with the slide back and installed, it racked the round and feed flawless as i ran that mag about 3 times or so and it got better at going in but always gave it that extar slap with your plam.. i fired the gun about 75 times today and no issues to report!
Old December 2, 2012, 05:41 PM   #9
jackpine

no need to be gentle with the gun. SLAP that mag in and then pull the slide back and let it SLAM forward. If you still have problems then look at the follower shape and angle on your 3 mags in question and see if there is any differences. If there are the feed angle on your sticky mags could be the problem. With the mags dropping it's probably a thing were you need to "file to fit" if you don't feel up to it your local gunsmith or armourer should be able to sort it out for you. General rule for me is either Chip McCormic or wilson mags in a 1911
Old December 3, 2012, 06:03 PM   #10
joey253

I have found my troubles. It's my mag catch. I took a mag that wouldn't stay in and bent the mag catch hole out ever so slightly and it worked like a charm. A new mag catch is on the way
Old December 3, 2012, 06:57 PM   #11
10mm4ever

If memory serves, RIA had a batch of 1911's a few years ago with out of spec mag releases. Call them and they will no doubt send you a new one.