The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2011, 06:43 PM   #1
champ198

does anyone have a starting load for 175gr S&W

i know about the pressures of the 40S&W and all that and was jsut looking for a starting point for it. not looking for hot loads jsut something to plink at the range not going to be Self Defense loads jsut range ammo only.
the 2 pistol powders i got are IMR trailboss and Winchester WSF will these be ok for these cast loads
Old June 4, 2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Stick_man

The best source for answers regarding your specific powders would be to manufacturer's website. There are a number of great loads and powders available for the 175gr cast. If you don't already have it, a great reference book is the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #4. It lists quite a few. I have never loaded either of these powders, but have heard good things about WST, WW-231, Red Dot, Unique, Power Pistol, and a number of others. Because of it's bulk and low energy, I would be kind of surprised if TrailBoss worked very well in the .40s&w.

Are these bullets you cast yourself or did you buy some commercial cast ones? Do you know how hard they are?
Old June 4, 2011, 07:03 PM   #3
zippy13

My experience with loading light pistol loads has primarily been with Bullseye in .38 and .45 cast bullet loads. It's a fast powder and does well with target/plinker loads. Between TrailBoss and WSF, TrailBoss has a burning rate closer to that of Bullseye. That's the powder I'd try first. Stick_man may be correct about its bulk/energy, but you indicated that you looking for light loads with the powder you have. I typically use powders around WSP's burning rate in larger revolver cases. YMMV
Old June 4, 2011, 11:12 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Buy a Hodgdon manual or give 'em a call. Asking on the reloading forum might be faster.