The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?
I reload and it's worth it 139 86.88%
I reload and don't think it's worth it 3 1.88%
I don't reload but would like to in the future 14 8.75%
I don't reload and don't think it's worth it 1 0.63%
I used to reload but no longer do 3 1.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 4, 2010, 04:32 PM   #51
James R. Burke

I do reload and think it is worth it. You save some money not has much has you use to, but for me the main part is making the best round my rifle will shoot, and if you save a little money thats also good. It is a real good clean hobby, and is fun to do. Its cool when you see some nice results on the paper or if your hunting than you made the round.
Old January 4, 2010, 04:34 PM   #52
NCMountain

First off..........

it's not cheaper in the sense once you begin you start having so many loads and bullets of varying weights that you have to invest a small fortune. But if you find that one load and bullet you just can't live w/out then you save big time on the cost per round factor. Problem is.......you reload.....you shoot more then the cycle begins!

So to answer that question would be so subjective that I am not sure their exist a right answer. It is a matter of perception I assume.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:53 PM   #53
wncchester

I figger I lose about 1 1/2 cents per round but I load a lot, trying to make up for it in volume.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:37 PM   #54
Jim243

wncchester, how did you get your loss down to only 1 1/2 cents per round, I'm still lossing at leasts a nickle per round?? (LOL)

Bud your answer is no, it is not worth it for you. Reloading is a hobby in and of itself. Just as shooting is a hobby all by it's self. Most of us would rather reload than shoot. Once you have made that perfect, shiny, gold color case with the kick butt plastic tip, boat tail perfectly concentric round bullet, you step back and tell yourself that it's too pretty to shot and you need to make more of them.

That's how the addiction begins. Then you find yourself going to gun shows looking for used cases that can be cleaned up, diging through garbage cans for empty boxes to use and store your reloads in. Bending over 200 times an hour at indoor or outdoor ranges to pick up each and every last case that you can find on the ground. Getting ticked off at the sporting goods stores because the type of primers you need are not in. Spending most of your waking hours going over tables and tables of load data to find the "just" perfect load. Reading through 1,000s of pages of advertising for the latest and greatest tool for your reloading bench. Spending hours and hours racking your brain to figure out why your latest load in not giving you .5 inch groupings at a 100 yards. Asking yourself over and over if you should get a chroni to measure your fps so it can sit in the closet. Reading eveything out there on gun powder types and uses. Etc..Etc..Etc..

Just left Cabela's with $76.00 more of 40 and 9mm bullets, do I need them - no, do I want them - YES.

God I love this hobby.
Jim
Old January 4, 2010, 08:03 PM   #55
QBall45

After reading a few of the last posts where guys are talking about losing money reloading got me thinking. As I see it there's only 2 ways not to save by reloading. 1. You bought a very expensive setup because you were told it was the best & ya had to have it. 2. You paid too much for components. You bought when stuff was at an all time high.

My guess is its probably both.

If a guy shops around & gets the best price & doesn't pay to ship powder or primers you have to be saving not losing. Either that or my math is all messed up.
Old January 4, 2010, 08:43 PM   #56
DWARREN123

I like reloading, it is a relaxing hobby for me. I do some very good 40 S&W rounds and like them much better for price and performance than all factory ammo.
Old January 4, 2010, 08:46 PM   #57
floydster

I really enjoy loading & shooting, it's a great hobby for me and I love it, don't matter what it cost--life is short, enjoy it.

But if you don't shoot much and reloading is a bore for you, forget it.
If you don't really get into it, it is not for you.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:21 PM   #58
mrawesome22

Reloading is great if you enjoy it as a hobby and like building custom premium ammo for the cost of factory bottom shelf ammo. If your in it for purely cost saving and don't enjoy it... I'd say it's not for you. You gotta love to tinker as well. Kinda like that saying "If you want something done right, do it yourself." I am that kind of person through and through.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:58 PM   #59
Jim243

QBall45 - I think most of us start out with more or less basic kits and work our way up from there. I haven't purchased a commerical round of ammo in three or four years now with the exception of 22LR and 380. (and I have a set of dies, cases, primers and bullets for them, just don't like my own loads for 380).

I shoot a lot, at least 2 or 3 time a month, I shoot in matches, I shoot for fun, I shoot for hunting. If I didn't reload, I would not be able to do that with what they are charging for ammo today.

I load for 12 different calibers today, when I started it was for 45 ACP only. I have the same two presses I started out with 5 years ago (one purchased used and one Lee Classic Turret press, not expensive). The most expensive item I have purchased was my RCBS 1500 scale and dispenser.

I think reloading is fun and I enjoy it very much. BUT if you go into reloading thinking you are going to save a bundle of cash you are kidding yourself. What you save in per round cost will be more than spent in volume (shooting up more ammo).

If you spend $50.00 for a set of dies and $175 on a press kit for 30-06 and only reload 50 rounds for hunting, you do once a year and only shoot maybe 10 rounds a year, where is your saving???

wncchester's and my joking about our losses might be over the heads of many but are true no less. I have guns I purchased 5 years ago that have not been fired in over 3 years, but I have plenty of ammo for them. Five years ago I was shooting nothing but rifles (I have a few), I haven't fired any in the last year and a half. Today I am into IDPA matches (hand gun only) so I have a lot of rifle ammo sitting in cabinets.(it should be good for at least the next 20 years) But the cash is not sitting in a savings account at the bank.

The good part is if I get the itch, all I have to do is pick up a box or two or three of my loads and not worry about what the cost is or if the stores are out of what I want to use. Besides, my loads are 2,000% better than anything on the shelves at Wally World.

But don't get a poor newbe into thinking they are going to strike it rich by doing there own reloads!!!

Like wncchester said, we try to make up for it in volume.

Stay safe and shoot straight.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; January 4, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:08 PM   #60
colospgsAVID

It's worth it to me. The better question is how is it worth it? To me, I don't see the monetary side as so important. What I do see as important is the satisfaction and reliable source of quality ammo. It's been said a bunch and I'll repeat it. It's more of a hobby and if you don't love it don't do it.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:08 PM   #61
aorelup

Hometheatreman,

I did not shoot all that much before getting into reloading (and if all I had was a 30-06 I still wouldn't shoot all that much!) But once I got into it, I found that I shot more and more. Before I would maybe shoot 50-100 rounds a trip to the range. Now I am in the 200-300 realm. At your current rate of firing, no it isn't a good idea. If you don't want to put forth the effort of loading rounds, not a good idea either. But if you want to shoot more and get GOOD (the best) ammo to shoot through your gun, definitely give reloading a try.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:16 PM   #62
RWNielsen

Quote:
it isn't about saving money anymore, it's about making the best rounds.
That's it, exactly
Old January 4, 2010, 10:24 PM   #63
Fullthrottle

I reload and it is worth it for many reasons that have been stated! Although I am new to it, the savings is still there(so is the availibility). I don't count my time in $$(I enjoy realoading), it is a hobby I guess!
Old January 4, 2010, 10:26 PM   #64
That'll Do

I reload, and most certainly is worth it to me.

I only load load for handguns at the moment, but never the less I thoroughly enjoy crafting the most accurate round for each of my guns. I enjoy casting my bullets, then tinkering with loads until I get one that is "just right".

For me, time spent at the reloading bench is my time to relax and unwind. The fact that I can shoot as much as I want for *substantially* less than retail is an added bonus.

I guess it depends on what kind of shooter (in terms of how many rounds you shoot) you are to determine whether or not reloading is worth it.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:40 PM   #65
Crankylove

I reload, and think it is worth it. I load for 9mm, .38 Special/.357 Mag, .45 Auto, .22 Hornet, .270 Winchester, .358 Winchester, and 7.62X54R. I can't afford NOT to reload. If I had to buy factory ammo for all my guns, all the time, I could never afford to shoot the way I like. If you shoot enough, the cost of the equipment pays for itself quickly.

For my .22 Hornet, a box of 25 rounds locally runs about $25, a box of 50 is about $35. About 0.70 a round is the cheapest I have seen in my area.......which is why my rifle has never fired factory ammo. I can reload it for 0.10-0.14 a round, depending on which bullet I use.

My .358 is kinda similar, except there, its not so much the cost of ammo, its the lack of availability. No one in my area stocks it, and most don't want to order any for me. Again, this rifle has never seen factory ammo, since I can load it myself, for 25% of what it would cost to buy........it I could find some.

For me, the financial savings alone are worth it.........but, I also enjoy reloading, and wish component availability would get better so I could do more of it.
Old January 4, 2010, 11:36 PM   #66
xnaerughiazk

hometheaterman

Buy used equipment if you want to keep costs down, and you don't need all the bells and whistles, like a tumbler. A single die press, a powder scale and some used dies and a few components is all you need to find out whether you wish to continue.

Thats how I started and I wouldn't be without mine.

SL1 makes a goodpoint about posting a poll in the reloading section, you'll get a biased result
Old January 4, 2010, 11:44 PM   #67
Sport45

This is a reloader's forum. Surely you don't expect the results of the poll to accurately represent what's typical of the average shooter. Reloaders are most likely a small minority of the firearm owning community.

I do reload and think it's worth it. Reloading allows me to economically shoot obscure cartridges like 7.7Jap and .375Win. It makes all my firearms cheaper to shoot and more accurate to boot.
Old January 5, 2010, 12:15 AM   #68
QBall45

Now after rereading the aforementioned posts about reloading losing $$ reloading...I see what was being said.

I to lose money loading my own ammo...I shoot 10x at least more than before I started loading. Cost per round is way less...but, the trigger gets pulled way more. Which makes the effort to load my own well worth it. Even have my Dad shopping for components to load for his 9mm.
Old January 5, 2010, 02:44 AM   #69
Lost Sheep

Free advice

Quote:
GSUeagle1089
I don't but wish I did, just don't have:

1) The start up cost money

2) A complete handle on how it's done. I have a good idea but I would need an hour to a day's worth of practice.

3) A place to do it.
I have free advice. Take it for what it's worth (to you). and I will make my best case to support my decision to reload.

When I first started shooting, I knew I could not afford ammunition at retail prices. So I bought a press to go with my gun.

1) Startup cost: Take enough money to buy two years worth of ammunition. One box of 50 each weekend (and allowing for missing a few makes 40 boxes or 2,000 rounds)

Could you buy a press and that many bullets, primers and enough powder for them all? (If you are careful, you can get 10 firings out of each cartridge case.

for example. 2,000 bullets, 200 brass casings, 2,000 primers, 3 lbs of powder (or enough to fire all those bullets) plus the cost of your hardware. You have maybe $1,000. That same $1,000 will buy those same 2,000 rounds over the counter. There's your break-even point (ignoring your own time). Don't shop for these figures, I just pulled them out of thin air.

Your mileage may vary. 500 S&W Magnums cost about $2.25 per round. Components are about $0.75. For 9mm or 45 ACP, it might hard to make a breakeven point. For .357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, or almost any rifle round larger than .25 caliber it will be easy. Anyhow, there's your startup cost conquered.

2) Practice? Practice and learning never end. But that's part of the fun.

3) Room to do it? My first setup fit in a footlocker. Mount the press on a 30" 2x6 strapped to an end table. Scale on the coffee table. Dropcloth on the carpet. 50 rounds an hour while ignoring the television. Easy, two hours once a week and I was all set.

4) I really enjoy having the independence of not wondering if my retailer will have ammunition for me. I especially enjoy being able to load bullets to whatever power level I like. My friend's 500 Smith is a pussycat firing 350 grain bullets at 800 fps.

Lost Sheep
Old January 5, 2010, 02:54 AM   #70
Lost Sheep

Lots of links for thomaswm@coxnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswm@coxnet

Reloading-What is a good machine?
I have been shooting for many years and have always been curious about reloading equipment. There are quite a few different models and brands out there. What is everyones experience with the different brands? I am looking to reload:
45 acp; 45 colt; 38spec; 357mag; 454 casull; 460 mag
I would like input on a machine that is reliable, good warranty and easy to use. All suggestions welcome.
Thank you

Clarification I guess I shoot more 45acp than anything so that would be the main ammo I would want to reload.
Welcome to the forum.

I observe that you have not been a member long enough to have read these threads, but the search function will turn up dozens that will answer your question.

I had occasion recently to research a few threads, so here are the ones that are fairly recent. I suggest you read these (and the links you will find therein).

The Cost Calculator mentioned by SKULLANDCROSSBONES65 a few posts back will be worth a look, too.

By the way, a year ago, I bought a bunch of 45 ACP from Remington with the UMC label for less than I could buy the components. I haven't seen a bargain like that since. So, keep your eyes open for bargains. Retail ammunition is where I get almost all my brass for reloading.

Good luck.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=387485
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=385353
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=382212
particularly my post, #22
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=382212
maybe this one. It gets a lttle philisophical
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=387433
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=387076
Old January 5, 2010, 11:07 AM   #71
Rangefinder

Just up front, I DID NOT go through every post--I figured the the vote of "worth it" being 121 to 2 would pretty much summarize the general statements of the three pages before me.

It's worth it on many levels for me.

A) It DOES trim quite a bit of cost off of my shooting expenses. Several rifles wouldn't get used at all if I didn't reload, just because of ammo cost.

B) I enjoy it. I find sitting at the bench very relaxing. Piece of mind cannot be under-appreciated.

C) My son is almost 14. He's been shooting with me his whole life. But reloading takes it all to a higher level. So does hand-casting. So does BP shooting. I'd like to think I'm trying to preserve what seems to be a dying art in our future generations.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old January 5, 2010, 01:50 PM   #72
ishootblanks

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I have almost as much fun reloading as I do shooting. I started out reloading to shoot, but now I think I shoot to reload.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:57 PM   #73
tater134

I just started reloading 3 months ago and I dont know why I waiting so I long to get into it.With some of the old military calibers I shoot its well worth it for me to roll my own since some of them just arent available and if they are ammo is very expensive.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:24 PM   #74
Crankylove

If you really want to get into reloading, but don't plan on doing a whole lot of it, and don't want to spend the cash for a press and dies, you could try the Classic Lee Loader. I know a couple guys that have used them for years, and for small amounts of loading, they say it works great. I knew I would be reloading quite a bit when I got into it, so I went right for the press and die system, but the Classic loader could be an option as well.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:37 PM   #75
darkgael

Again

This is the same poll that you gave over at Hunting.net.
Did you think that there would be a different demographic here?
My response is the same:
Quote:
Of course it's worthwhile. On a round to round basis, the price per shot is wildly cheaper. The only real question is how long it will take to amortize the cost of the equipment. Shoot a lot and it happens faster.
I load and reload for more than 30 different cartridges and shotshells. Just considering the .45 ACP, I've loaded more than 60,000 rounds of it over the past bunch of years. I also cast my own bullets and so the cost per box is very low, down about $2.00 to $2.50 a box of 50. (I don't consider the cost of brass since with target ammo the cases can be used so many times that it's silly - and I keep finding the stuff that those "box from Walmart" shooters leave behind). Same thing, essentially, with .30-06 and .223 - though the powder costs more and jacketed bullets also. Maybe at this point they are about .25 a piece for .30-06 ($5 a box for ammo as good or better than the factory. And it's in stock. My actual cost is lower because people that I know who don't want to reload any longer keep giving me components - like .30 cal. bullets and powder and primers.).
What do shotgun slugs cost? About a buck a piece for your basic smoothbore punkin ball. I reload slugs that work as well as the factory stuff for the cost of the primer and powder (about 12-15 cents per shell). Cast the slugs.
Some things that I load for - a couple of wildcats and antique cartridges - cannot be purchased anywhere.
Is it worth it? You bet.
Pete