The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1
ah141nj

9mm HAP load data

Recently ordered 200 rounds of 121 gr HAP 9mm to try out.
Cant find any specific load data for these bullets..including Hornady's manual.
Is it safe to use XTP data?
Using 231 with CCI primers, Magtech new brass in a Glock 19 if it helps.
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old December 16, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
WIL TERRY

Is A 9mm Hap The Little Brother Of The 9mm Pug ??

SO....what is a 9MM HAP??
Old December 16, 2008, 12:54 PM   #3
ah141nj

Quote:
Is A 9mm Hap The Little Brother Of The 9mm Pug ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO....what is a 9MM HAP??
Click Here http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...907&t=11082005
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old December 16, 2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Don P

9mm HAP's

From what I read on Midways site yes you can use the XTP data. Only difference according to the discription is the XTP's are hollow points and the HAP'd are a solid nose for as they put it, Hornaday Action Pistol. The weight seems odd. All I can find for data is 120 gr. then it jumps to 124 gr. Thats in the Lee book. Lymans book was a waste of time.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 16, 2008, 03:10 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

5.8--6.2g Alliant Power Pistol.

Yes, I know it's not W231 data.
Old December 16, 2008, 07:23 PM   #6
shu

I have played with these for a couple of years. Not by any stretch a large volume shooter, maybe 200 rounds a month of various pistol calibers. I do like to mess with different bullets and powders.

The 121gr HAP have worked well for me, particularly steady at top end 9mm speeds where I have had problems with other plated bullets getting wild.

As I understand it the HAP are like the XTP (which I have not used) except the XTP have creases in the hollow point to help initiate mushrooming on impact. HAP (hornaday action pistol) are hollow points for target shooting; penetration and expansion are not important, so the creases are eliminated.

I use load data appropriate for 124-125gr plated or hardcast. The 3.2% lower bullet mass should be insignificant, but in any event is on the safe side since lower mass would accelerate faster and result in a lower peak pressure.

My only beef with the 121gr HAP is that they do not work for 357sig, my intent when I bought the first batch. Looked like would work, but the snout is too long. If seated securely on the cylindrical part of the bullet, the overall cartridge length is over SAAMI spec and too long for the 357sig magazine.

I'd use a seating depth appropriate for the hornaday XTP if you can find it. keeping in mind that 9mm is a tightly packed cartridge and sensitive to pressure spike if OAL gets too short.

- shu