The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 30, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

shotgun slug hunting

What slugs should be fired in a rifled slug barrel and what slugs should be fired in a smooth bore barrel?
Old January 30, 2008, 10:34 PM   #2
john1911

Sabot slugs in a rifled barrel and rifled slugs in a smooth bore. Clear as mud...eh?

Most boxes will recommend what barrel is best. General rule of thumb, if it's less then $5.00/box of 5, it's for smooth bores. If it's greater than $10.00/box of 5, it's for a rifled barrel.
Old January 31, 2008, 08:59 AM   #3
thallub

If you fire a couple of boxes of lead Foster slugs in a rifled barrel you just might have a heck of a time getting the lead out of the bore. Learned that the hard way.
Old January 31, 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
12-34hom

I have an old Stevens 12 guage smoothbore - Federal Truball were the absolute best.

These were shot at fifty yards.

12-34hom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0142.JPG (49.0 KB, 71 views)
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old February 1, 2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Pahoo

john1911 + 1

If you have Sasbot slug, it's a waste of good money to shoot them out of a smooth bore, but they will shoot. Don't sell a smooth bore short. They are very effective and acurate to a point. I mostly shoot smooth bore and have soem sabots that I'd rather sell than shoot. Be safe !!!
Old February 1, 2008, 03:49 PM   #6
rantingredneck

My own take on it is that if I need the extra range a rifled barrel will give me I'll use a .30 cal barrel . But I understand for folks who live in areas where rifles aren't allowed that a rifled shotgun gives them a definite advantage.

Mostly where I hunt I have a choice of big fields or thick woods. Where I'll be determines what I'll take, either the Rem 700 or the Rem 870 (smoothbore) with Brenneke KO's.