The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old April 7, 2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Fly320s

Federal Air Marshal article.

Very good article; I really enjoyed it.

I have been to the Orlando office and training center mentioned in the article as a guest. The folks who work there are very friendly and were happy to show me around the facility and discuss the program with me, even though I came by on a Sunday. The facility is very nice, as I would expect. I didn't get a chance to go to the nearby outdoor range, but maybe I can one of these days.

My airline has it's training facility in Orlando. Our training center is close to the FAM office and we stay in the hotels nearby. The FAMs routinely come to our training center to give a presentation during our training classes.

Considering that their program is a "secret" program, I am very pleased with how much information they share with us.

Keep up the good work, FAMs. You too, SWAT.
Old April 8, 2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Thanks, Fly. We really appreciate the Federal Air Marshals opening their doors to us.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2007, 12:00 AM   #3
NotAMonte86

I interviewed and went throught the hiring process at the Orlando office for the better half of last year (ended up not getting hired after the final step). Which month is this featured? I will have to pick up a copy.
NotAMonte86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

April 2007 issue.
Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Musketeer

Glad to have them but I really wish they would work on being a little more undercover... They stand out like sore thumbs on SouthWest flights.

When you have two obviously fit 30 something males travelling together with untucked shirts making use of Southwest's Pre-Board for families with small children, the handicapped and the elderly it gets everyone's attention. (There is no frequent flier/first class pre board with SW and no assigned seats). When you get onboard and see they have selected aisle seats no where near each other and at 1/3 and 2/3+ down along the aircraft you can be certain they are Air Marshalls.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Jeff Randall

Federal agents have never been worth a damn at being "covert." You have to wonder if the schooling they receive on such issues is that far out-dated, or whether they just believe the populace as a whole is dumb...well, maybe they have a point.
Old April 20, 2007, 03:57 PM   #7
Musketeer

Just last year with a change in leadership they were allowed to stop travelling always wearing sports jackets. That works fine on a commuter flight to Chicago from NY but looks pretty stupid flying to Orlando or Hawaii...

Old May 4, 2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Patrick Bateman

Curious to who the Delta guy in the article is. Is it John Macejunas (sp?) or Norm Hooten (sp?)? Just thought the name they used in the article was the composite name that was used in the film.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 12:33 AM   #9
nemoaz

Muskateer and others, I wish you would remove your posts. Although it shows that you may or may not know something, it would be better for us (as citizenry) and those who try to protect us if certain things remained out of common knowledge. BTW, all that use those methods you discussed are not necessarily from the agency you think they are. Also rest assured that the current procedures pushed down our throats by clowns who don't understand why other methods should be used.
nemoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:24 PM   #10
NRA-LIFE-MEMBER

Yes, it was a good acticle.
NRA-LIFE-MEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 09:58 PM   #11
rcupka

I wonder if they would take overweight 50 year olds?
rcupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 10:48 PM   #12
Musketeer

nemoaz,

I understand what you are saying but I really do not think the terrorists need me to point out something as obvious as I stated. The guy I was travelling with, who is not a shooter and routinely walks around in condition white except where women are involved spotted it on his own and came to the same conclusion. Perhaps if they see they are not fooling people they will rethink their methods.

Old June 4, 2007, 05:31 PM   #13
Nanuk

I am 6' 250 with a buzz cut, and I am a fed. After 30 years of military and law enforcement everybody makes me as a cop. There is not sense in trying to hide that fact. besides, hadji would kill me first because I am so much bigger than him and could cause a problem, therefore, i am just a little more pro-active.
Nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote