The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 23, 2002, 01:37 PM   #1
Chang

870 Magazine Cap

I drilled out my magazine tube to add extensions on, and I noticed that when shooting, the cap or extension comes loose, because the dimple doesn't hold the plastic ratchet retainer in place. Does anyone know how to fix this problem when using the standard magazine cap on normal capacity (when I'm shooting the turkey barrel instead of my HD barrel).
Old August 23, 2002, 05:44 PM   #2
greyeyezz

The plastic retainer has nothing to do with holding the cap on, in fact loose it, i never used mine. Geta pair of channel locks and a rag to go around the knurling and tighten it down.
Old August 24, 2002, 05:03 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some of us use channelocks and scrap leather to tighten the cap ONE click past handtight. Tightening it more can cause probs. Leaving it loose causes more.

HTH...
Old August 25, 2002, 08:51 AM   #4
Chang

OK, thanks guys. Looks like I'll just tighten it down pretty good.

Erick: One of my barrels has the detent, the other doesn't even have a whole for it.
Old August 25, 2002, 05:43 PM   #5
DML

The problem may be that your end cap doesn't have the little dimples that engage the detent. The Express had ratchet like
grooves inside the end cap to engage the plastic thingy that doesn't work anymore.

A detent can be installed in the barrel that doesn't have one, but it's tricky to drill the hole. If the hole was there, the spring and detent installation would be no big deal.