The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2000, 05:09 PM   #1
twoblink

I'm in search of a shotgun, and I'm left handed.

I have taken a look at the Ithaca shotguns (very nice!) and have friends that own one, and highly endorse it.

The Browning BPS's are very nice as well, looking at the catalog. I'm not aware of any other bottom ejects, but that might just be lack of research on my part.

But a few pages past the BPS, are the OverUnders, which are just awesome! So my question for you shotgun owners is, does the capacity difference between the O/U make that difference?

Thanks!
Albert
Old November 7, 2000, 05:56 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Albert, if we knew what you were planning on using it for,we might have better input.Is it hunting, clay games, HD,the next revolution, or all of the above?

A coupla things....

First, after training hundreds of rookies to shoot shotguns, I can recall exactly zero complaints about lefties having to shoot RH 870s.It doesn't seem to be much of a problem. So maybe your choices aren't as limited as you surmise.But, that's your call..

Both the Ithaca and the BPS are fine shotguns. The Ithaca, in particular, has a reputation that's sterling for performance, reliability, and longevity. Funny, all of the classic pumps are JMB designs, including the 870 Remington.The Model 97,and 12 Winchesters, the Ithaca, that BPS,etc.

O/Us have the advantage of instant choke selection, and that second shot is indeed faster than most other systems. But, an O/U is a type of shotgun, and quality varies from POS to superb, and it's not easy for a tyro to tell which is which. The Brownings and Berettas get their praises sung by folks who should know, but after that it gets tricky.

You might want to hang out at the local clays/trap/skeet range and ask some questions. Even grumpy old curmudgeons like me will usually take the time to answer a rookie and maybe even let you handle their pride and joy shotgun.
Old November 7, 2000, 06:46 PM   #3
huntsman

Albert, you mentioned your a lefty I'm one also. Let me caution you on something about doubles either O/U's or sxs's , the european imports tend to come with stocks that have cast off (bent for a righty). This is a problem shooting one for a lefty.I'm not sure about Browning but you might check this out if you consider buying one.

------------------
Cause he liked the quiet clean country livin
and 20 more years slipped away.-JB.
Old November 8, 2000, 01:28 AM   #4
twoblink

Well, as with all shotguns (and especially pump) Home Defense would be great. You never really fire it, just pump (chick chick) and the sound makes the prep run.

But mostly Clay and something like Turkey.

The O/U being still right hand biased worries me though.

My friend has had an Ithaca shotgun for 11 years. He says about 400 ducks/geese from it. Still going, just getting broken in from what I understand, and so Ithaca's are always on my short list...

Albert
Old November 8, 2000, 02:20 AM   #5
Oldlightning

And the top lever of an O/U opens for a right hander too. And double trigger guns have the trigger position set for righties too. BPS, good inexpensive choice. Thanks, OL

------------------
This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! - Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old November 8, 2000, 06:52 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Twoblink, while I stopped an escape attempt at the Md House of Correction by simply racking a shotgun, it's not a given. The perp might be deaf,drugged,watched too many action movies,etc. If one chooses to have a HD weapon, one has to be ready to use same if needed.

You're leaning towards the Ithaca, a great choice for a first shotgun, or a last one. And no Tablet of Stone says you can only have one shotgun. With 4 at my command, I'm feeling the itch for a clays gun, a 10 bore for snow geese, and maybe a 16 SXS.
Old November 8, 2000, 08:30 AM   #7
ChrisR246

I am also a lefty. I currently use a BPS for hunting and clays. It's my third shotgun. When I bought it, it was a choice between the BPS and a lefty Wingmaster. I believe the 870 Express also comes left handed.

I also have a FIE import sxs. This was my second shotgun. A sxs is alright for lefties, IMO, but, as someone else said, the triggers and lever are set up for righties. I never noticed it when a bird flushed though.

My first shotgun was a right handed pump. A Marlin/Glenfield, I think. I hate to contradict Dave McC, but I found most right handed pumps a pain, because of the safety location. While hunting pheasants, it always seemed slow and awkward to get the gun mounted and safety off. The ejecting in front of my face never bothered me.

One thing I have noticed, the bottom eject BPS seemes to get dirtier than an 870. But that just might be perception on my part.

A right handed gun with tang mounted safety, say a Mossberg, might be acceptable. The Mossberg 500 combo may be your best choice.

Finally, let me say that though I love my BPS for hunting, I am considering an O/U for clays. Any excuse to get another gun.

Old November 8, 2000, 10:53 AM   #8
huntsman

OL is right about the top lever and triggers favoring the righty,I was able to overcome this somewhat.I could do ok with an american SxS (shooting it lefty) I have a single trigger gun now. But I bought a italian O/U with 1/4 or 3/8" (I can't remember which) cast,and had to sell it .Because when I mounted the gun my master eye was always looking down the side of the barrel.To bring my eye over the rib I had to roll my cheek on top of the comb,This is bad form and no way to wingshoot.

------------------
Cause he liked the quiet clean country livin
and 20 more years slipped away.-JB.
Old November 8, 2000, 02:35 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Go ahead and contradict me, Chris, Wife does it all the time(G).

I used to shoot an occasional course of fire lefty, mostly for betting prposes. Didn't have that much problem with the safety, but maybe that's just me.

A LH 870 is a good idea,too.
Old November 8, 2000, 05:56 PM   #10
twoblink

I've been left handed all my life, so I'm use to overcoming right-hand biased items. Desks in school for example were difficult but I learned. Same with Scissors.

The problem is, my life RARELY depended on a desk or a pair of scissors. That might be the case with a gun. So I can't "Compromise".

My friend says that there are left handed Benelli shotguns, but I'd much rather have a bottom eject than a left hand eject for a few reasons:

1) My gf is right handed and might use my gun.

2) Parts are expensive

3) Anybody else borrowing my gun won't know how to use it or will be confused by left side ejection, and might hurt themselves (God only knows how many right side ejected shells have left welts on my right arm!)

4) Bottom ejects kick A$$!

Also, while the choices of shotguns are seemingly unlimited, the pocketbook isn't, and currently, 2 shotguns aren't a choice. (If it was, I'd have an Ithaca 12 gauge, and a Ithaca 16gauge featherlight... 5lbs!!)

Also, if Gore wins, then I might not be able to buy that many guns...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Question, Rifled or smooth? I assume that rifled was designed for slugs only, but how accurate (shooting slugs) is the smooth, (or put another way, how much accuracy do i lose for the same given length of barrel if I go from a rifled to smooth?)

Thanks ppl, you guys have been a lot of help.

Albert
Old November 8, 2000, 09:15 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You might not lose any, Albert. My chokeless HD 870 shoots 2 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and has filled the freezer many times. My deer 870 shoots about the same with a rifled tube. Some folks with full rifled bbls envy those figures,and some do better. One of the best shooting slug guns I ever saw was a full choke Model 97 w/ bead sight, 16 ga.

The key is bench testing. Buy a mess of those 5 packs, take your anti-inflammatory of choice, settle in at the bench and find out what works in your shotgun. There's no shortcuts, and no easy way.

Smoothbores are versatile, rifled bores work well only with slugs, and then only when it's the right slug.
Old November 8, 2000, 11:46 PM   #12
Badger Arms

I'd try out the Browning and Ithaca and see which one feels best. They are, in essence, the same internally both being based on the same patents. I like the Ithaca because it feels better and is cheaper used. One problem all bottom-eject guns have is when shooting trap. You have to load the magazine first and then crank the round in. Small inconvenience.

I'll echo what was said about bottom-ejecting being superior to left ejection. The statement was made that a righty might have to use the gun or want to borrow it. That's not possible with the Lefty guns. Also, if you did ever have to sell it you are losing about 80% of your possible market.