The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 30, 2012, 03:38 PM   #51
shortwave

It's usually "pistol" for me whether it is a semi-auto or revolver. As I can remember going to the "pistol range" before semi-autos were the trend.

Too, there's some trophy's around here somewhere from revolver match's that say on the bottom, along with other info. ...."pistol match".
Not saying they don't have any but I don't think I ever got one that said, "revolver match".

Last edited by shortwave; September 30, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:21 PM   #52
Bob Wright

Shortwave said:

Quote:
Not saying they don't have any but I don't think I ever got one that said, "revolver match".
You never belonged to the old United States Revolver Association? I belonged for a few years, about 1954~1960, or so.

Bob Wright

P.S. I thought the USRA was a defunct organization, but found it is still a viable organization!
Old October 1, 2012, 10:55 AM   #53
shortwave

Quote:
You never belonged to the old United States Revolver Association? 0,
No sir, I have not. It's been many years but have heard of the well respected org.

Too, now that I'm retired and have the time, the U.S.R.A. may be something of interests. Thanks for the reminder.

There are, as well, many organization's, IDPA being one and more locally to me, O.R.P.A(Ohio Rifle and Pistol Assoc.) that do not distinguish(or categorize and put into 'platforms' ) in their titles as to the use of semiauto's and revolvers. They have competition with both type handguns therefore 'pistol' is in their title.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:33 PM   #54
BigJimP

I'm guilty of using the term "platform" ...

and I think I get your point ....but to use "platform" in the sense that different mfg's have so many different ways of doing things....that I have always looked at most 1911's as a unique platform ...vs the typical Sig concept of DA/SA decocker as a very different "platform"...compared to a Beretta platform ...or a Glock ...or whatever....seems ok to me ...??

Maybe I'm just a 62 yr old redneck yuppie ...and can't help it ...
Old October 3, 2012, 06:35 AM   #55
buck460XVR

No worse than calling a bullet a boolit.........
Old October 3, 2012, 07:24 AM   #56
BlueTrain

One of my irritants is when people use "surgical strike" (as in air strike) and suggest that somehow it isn't bloody. Having seen surgery first hand, I can testify that it is indeed bloody. So is childbirth, which is not surgery. We are also sometimes guilty of using euphemisms. Deer are not killed; they are harvested. Etc., etc., etc.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:17 PM   #57
Bob Wright

Blue Train wrote:

Quote:
We are also sometimes guilty of using euphemisms. Deer are not killed; they are harvested. Etc., etc., etc.

Agreed! Nobody dies anymore. They pass away, pass on, or simply pass. At church, they went home to be with the Lord, though there is some question of that at times.

Reminds the of the little boy who told his mother about a rat killing, "........and we whomped him and whomped with big stick...," then, seeing the pastor present, added,"... and then the Lord called the poor thing home."

Bob Wright
Old October 4, 2012, 06:30 AM   #58
BlueTrain

I needed that.

It also reminds me of another fellow busily grooming his horse when his pastor walks by.

"Cleanliness is next to godliness, reverend," he said.

"The horse might make it," was the reply.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:46 PM   #59
kdrf636

With some of the crazy attachments I have seen on some weapons, platform isn't exactly off the mark.
Old October 4, 2012, 01:11 PM   #60
BlueTrain

There is some logic in using the expression, although the word "platform" itself doesn't really seem to fit. The word "system" may be a slightly better word but even that isn't quite right.

You may recall back in the 1960s, there was an attempt to create a small arms weapon system, a modular weapons system to be exact, with the Stoner 63. The idea was to be able to create multiple configurations of a 5.56mm caliber small arms to include light machine gun, rifle, carbine and more variations of the machine gun. In theory, it sounded like a good idea and numbers were produced and used but I suppose it was too late on the scene. I also understand it wasn't exactly perfect, which could also be said of other weapons which nevertheless continued in use.

In the case of the Stoner 63, it looks like the only common parts were the receiver and the gas system, there being different barrel lengths. There were different feeding systems but they were all basically the same gun. I'm sure there are other examples but I can't think of any at the moment. It might be a case of the advantages that were the selling points weren't really much of an advantage after all, especially if it wasn't reliable. It was like the gadgets you see people selling at the state fair. It slices; it dices.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 5, 2012, 11:20 PM   #61
Stevie-Ray

For God's sake guys, weapons become platforms when they are used to be the base gun for something else. Is a 1911 with a Pachmayr Dominator atop still a 1911? No, the 1911 is the platform used to make a long-range .308 pistol. Is a Saiga 12 an AK-47? No, but the AK was the platform from which it evolved. Too many people will tell me my Kimber Ultra CDP isn't a real 1911 and then tell me all the reasons why. OK, fine, then my UCDP was somebody's brainchild based on the 1911 platform. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to be so damn technical, don't be surprised or upset if somebody comes up with a workaround.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:22 AM   #62
Patrice

"I think it's from all those military oriented shows on TV. The F-117 is not a jet, it's a weapons platform from which to launch various ordinance. A Humvee is a weapons platform to launch grenades or fire machine guns. But, a gun is not a weapons platform, it is the weapon."

Hhmmm....Good post. I also think it's a key-board commando, mall ninja, water-jug ballistician thing. Plus, to lots of folks...it sounds so cool, techno-jargon is becoming colloquial."--Patrice
Old October 6, 2012, 07:25 AM   #63
Snort

Guns became platforms around the same time that mall security became operators.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:27 AM   #64
SFsc616171

Yes, it is psychobabble, foisted upon us by those that have to display their collegiate wallpaper.

A revolver is just that. An auto-pistol is just that, as it is called by the general public.

The same folks that use the term "platform", are the same folks that make a revolver that you can put a red-dot on top and a flashlight underneath, in an attempt to out-do the actress of memory Adrienne Barbeau and her scoped Python with the eight inch barrel. Look at the latest S&W creation, and you will see.

A Mcdonnell-Douglas Phantom II F-4E/G aircraft was a 'launch platform'! it could drop bombs, fire missiles, and the E-series could get you with the internal GE gatling gun!

A handgun is NOT a 'platform'. They are manufactured, each in ONE caliber only. You have to physically change out a slide and barrel and magazine, to make a change, or, remove the barrel and cylinder from the frame.

That does not make a platform.