The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2011, 02:27 PM   #26
oneounceload

Quote:
But in my mind - cleaning a carrier barrel to change it over from a 20ga to a 28ga ...still takes the same amount of time ...as cleaning a stand alone 20ga gun so you can drop the 28ga tube set into it.
It shouldn't - there is no reason for the carrier inside to get dirty at all - pop one set out, pop the other set in and be on station.

The advantage of the carrier barrel in lieu of a barrel weight is that the weight AND balance point will be the same EVERY time. Unless you have little scribe marks or something to show you where to install the weight, it can vary a little - that can mean changing balance points.

One receiver/stock to get custom-fitted in lieu of 4, exact balance and handling in all 4 gauges - if you are a serious skeeter - it is the way to go
Old December 3, 2011, 11:07 PM   #27
JW74

it's a very nice gun and one well worth consideration. If I bought one, it would definitely be a new model plain vanilla F3 sporter.

Slugo, I shot my friends F3 Sporting (low rib) and it was very nice. One thing I am wondering is does one have to change his shooting style when shooting the F3 SuperSport with the medium high rib? I know the gun can be set to shoot 50/50 but will the shooters hold or the way he sees the clay be different between the low ribbed and medium high ribbed guns? I assume that the F3 SS doesn't shoot like a trap gun even though it has a higher rib than traditional sporting guns.
Old December 13, 2011, 12:49 AM   #28
JW74

Bought The Blasser F3 SuperSport

I went ahead and bought the Blaser F3 SuperSport! I have to admit I am loving it so far. I have had it out twice and am already shooting it as well as I shot my Citori 625. The higher rib hasn't been as much of an adjustment as I expected but find the dropping clays are a little harder to hit with it so far. I really like the balance and feel of the gun. It's by far and away the nicest gun I have ever shot let alone owned. Now I need to spend some time fine tuning the guns setting and see what works best for me. So far I am thinking the rib set in the highest position (50/50) is what is working best.

I bought it from Robert Paxton at Paxton Arms in Dallas. Robert was a huge help and first class to deal with all the way! I am looking forward to the upcoming shooting season!
Old December 13, 2011, 08:01 AM   #29
Slugo

congrats on your new Blaser SS. That is a great gun. I have both low and high rib Brownings. I shoot both equally as well. I do like the more heads up position of a high rib, but it's not a game breaker. I think Blaser makes an excellent shotgun and their modular CNC construction makes buying a new barrel very easy, they just drop it in, no hand fitting required. I hate tubes for many of the reasons noted above. BJP has it right, a whole gun in each gauge.

Enjoy shooting that new gun!!!
Old December 13, 2011, 10:09 AM   #30
oneounceload

Congrats! Those are well-made guns and will last you your lifetime
Old December 13, 2011, 12:06 PM   #31
BigJimP

Congratulations - on what I think is a good choice. Best of luck in the coming season too ......
Old December 14, 2011, 06:32 PM   #32
JW74

Thanks for all of the help anf info guys! It's greatly appreciated!