The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Sose

Bought my first handgun and have got ammo questions...

So I literally bit the bullet and purchased my first handgun. A Glock 23. It was more of a combination of opportunity and research than just a straight up hunt.

I knew, from all my lurking in the forum and reading other magazines, that I wanted a Glock. And I considered getting a 9mm G19 or a good compromise between the 9mm and the .45, a G23. Having fired both and liking them both, it was just a matter of time before I spent the cash. The G23 just happenened to be one of he three handguns a good friend of mine was selling during a visit down to Texas. Needless to say, I snatched it! For $350 I got a stock G23 with 2 magazines and a concealed leather Galco holster. Almost new too!!

So my question is about acquiring ammo. I'd like to know what kind and where you usually find the best deals for your own ammo needs. I'm looking to get .40cal for two purposes; home defense and range practice.

Can anyone recommend a place to get good deals on these types of ammo and maybe even recommend a brand?

Thanks in advance! Most of you have already assisted me more than you ever can imagine in selecting my first handgun due to the insightful comments, reviews, suggestions and advice.

Old February 12, 2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Samtu_Ray

Wal-Mart Winchester white Box runs around $17 for 50 and is fine for range practice. For carry, I use 180gr Gold Dots.

Everyone has their own preferences...

ps: Congrats on a great deal!
Old February 12, 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
45Gunner

Nice score. You may search for ammo deals on Gunbroker.com, Cheaperthandirt.net, or just Google it.

Please spend some time to get to know your Glock. I don't recommend Glocks as a first time gun purchase because of the trigger design. You may want to invest a few bucks on some one on one instruction with a qualified instructor. I have seen LEO's nearly shot themselves, each other, or a perp because of improper handling/holstering of Glocks.

Don't want to scare you but just beware of the precautions....have fun and enjoy.
NRA Life Member
Old February 12, 2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Uncle Ben

This is my recommendation also.

Quote:
Wal-Mart Winchester white Box runs around $17 for 50 and is fine for range practice. For carry, I use 180gr Gold Dots.
Old February 12, 2010, 05:09 PM   #5
DogoDon

I recently ordered this from Ammunition to Go, which seemed like a pretty good deal to me:

1 x 500rds - 40 S&W Independence 165gr. FMJ Ammo $137.95

Shipping was another $16.47, for a total of $154 and change. Not too bad, I think.

DogoDon
Old February 12, 2010, 05:28 PM   #6
RETG

I've been purchasing Federal FMJ, 50 rd boxes, for $9.47 in the Walmarts in Grand Jct, CO and Provo, UT. Shoots as good as white box Winchester.

Winchester PDX1, 9mm via Gunbroker is running about $24.92 per 20 rd box (includes shipping), .40 via Cabelas is running about $24.99 shipped.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Bird3897

Nice, I have a G23 and love it. I buy most of my ammo for practice at wal-mart and my corbon at my gun dealer. Right now I am getting 100rds winchester 180gr FMJ for 30.99. It has been just as available as 9mm in my neck of the woods.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:32 PM   #8
41mag10mm

+ how ever many - Winchester White Box at Walmart. I've also had really good experience with the Remington FMJ which also comes in 100 bulk box. For SD purposes, Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP is one nasty round.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:57 PM   #9
wally626

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.40_S&W lists mail order ammo that is in stock. Sometimes its cheapest sometimes Walmart is better, sometimes gun shows. Glocks can handle just about anything they are not real finicky.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:39 PM   #10
longcall911

Normally, my first choice is gunbroker.com auctions. But if I can't get what I want there, I buy online from Natchez. Their prices are very good. Here's .40 s&w 165gr fmj, American Eagle (Federal) for $15.99/box of 50. http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?co...dTitle=Federal.

/*tom*/
Old February 14, 2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Sose

Great! Thanks for the advice folks! I'll be ordering ammo later today.

What about extra magazines? I've got 2 and I'd like to order 2 more original Glock magazines online so that they are home once I get back from my current deployment. Any recommended sites?
Old February 14, 2010, 02:07 PM   #12
voyager4520

Quote:
So I literally bit the bullet and purchased my first handgun. A Glock 23. It was more of a combination of opportunity and research than just a straight up hunt.
I made the same decision for my first handgun almost a year ago. It's still my only firearm, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. The best thing about .40 is that during the ammo shortage that started just before Obama got elected, I've been able to find FMJs or hollow points for my gun 99% of the time I looked. I still don't see any decent 9mm or .45 ammo, even decent FMJs, on the shelves locally.

I don't go shooting much, so I don't mind spending a little more on FMJ ammo. The best stuff I've found is American Eagle, with PMC Bronze coming in at a close second. For hollow points, the top four in my mind would be Federal HST, RangerT, Hornady XTP(TAP/TAP FPD or Custom line, but TAP has nickel plated brass for less corrosion while carrying), and Speer Gold Dot. Bonded RangerT and PDX1 are the same thing except the 180 Bonded RangerT is loaded a little hotter than the 180 PDX1. Hornady just came out with a 165gr loading of their Critical Defense line, which I have yet to try but would like to.

For hollow points I have and am satisfied with: 180gr Ranger T, 180 gr Hornady Custom, 155gr Hornady TAP FPD, 180gr Remington Gold Sabers, 155gr Hydra Shocks, and 180gr PDX1.

I prefer 165 or 180gr, but there are a few 155gr loadings I like, namely Federal Hydra Shock and Hornady XTP.

Thank you for your service and come home safe!

Edit: YouTube users andreleger2001 and tnoutdoors9 have some videos of home-made ballistic tests of several .40 hollow points. Also something to note, Speer Gold Dot 165gr comes in two loadings. The LE labeled boxes have two loadings, one rated at 100fps faster than the other loading. The civilian boxes of 165gr are rated the same as the hotter LE loading.

Last edited by voyager4520; February 14, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old February 14, 2010, 02:24 PM   #13
nolaOE800

my personal choices for ammo:

range - whatever fmj i can find for the cheapest price at the moment. some folks have problems with certain brands because they dirty the gun more than others but you should clean your gun after every time you use it in the first place so this shouldn't matter at all. (plus you've got a Glock, dirty doesn't matter one bit)

SD/HD - Speer Gold Dot. I usually tend to lean to the heavier side 165gr.-180gr.

lots of people don't trust ballistics gel (and I don't COMPLETELY trust it either) but it at least gives you a vague idea of how a bullet will perform upon terminal impact. In most of my research of .40S&W SD hollowpoints, I have found Gold Dot to perform the best, but that's just my opinion. there are several others that certainly would NOT be a waste of money.

just a tip: search for ballistic charts on Google and find something with good quality pictures of the recovered rounds after they've expanded. this is not the end-all, say-all evidence, but it's a good idea of how your bullets will end up after they strike an attacker.

Tags
.40 , ammo , glock , glock 23