The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1
bigwrench

Ruger red label

Any ruger red label guys on here. Wondering how guys that have them like them? Or don't?
Old January 9, 2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Slopemeno

I shot a round of Sporting Clays last year with a loaner Red Label. I'd love to have one. Like most Ruger's the "classic" styling tends to beat me up a bit, but I love the handling and pointability.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
oneounceload

I'm in the DON'T category.

I owned a 28 gauge RR. REALLY wanted to like it. But it started having extraction issues after a few months. Sent it back to Ruger and they had to replace ALL of the internals. Then they had to do it again. And then a third time - all over a period of about three months. after the third time, the gun went bye-bye. Too bad - while Ruger DID stand behind their product and was prompt fixing it, after three times, I had had enough. Never had those issues with my Brownings or SKBs
Old January 9, 2010, 09:33 AM   #4
PetahW

I owned/shot/hunted an early/26"/blued/fixed choke 20ga for over 25years, that I bought just after they were introduced - and never had issue one with it.

I only sold it because I handled & fell in love with a 20ga Beretta 686 Black Onyx Gloss 26" that was over a pound lighter than the Ruger.

Kinda like finding a new GF.

Old January 9, 2010, 02:56 PM   #5
BigJimP

I'm in the "Don't Own" category as well.

I've seen a few at my club - and they've had some quality issues / including a brand new gun where the rib cam right off the gun after firing about 10 shells. Triggers on them are Fair / not great. They are reasonably priced / but quality is significantly below Beretta and Browning in my opinion.

As a short term gun / the Ruger is a much better option than Stoeger, Baikal, Tristar, etc. in my opinion.