The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2002, 06:08 PM   #1
S.F.S

Shooting rifled slugs with a bead sight?

Where is the best place to position the bead when firing rifled slugs or buckshot, under the target?

What is the typical range for rifled slugs and buckshot? What are the pro's and con's of each?

Scott
Old August 21, 2002, 11:07 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Erick covered it.

Re emphasize.
You never know till you try with your own gun and loads.

Sam
Old August 22, 2002, 05:01 AM   #3
S.F.S

Erick,
The shotgun in question is a stock 12ga. 870 with a bead sight mounted right on the vent rib. Whats your opinion on the POI with this sought of bead sight?

Im looking to use this gun for opening season till I get my new 20ga. H&R Single shot which has a fully rifled barrel.
Thats mainly the reason I would prefer to use the 870 the way it is instead of spending the money and putting a B Square on it which I probably will never use again.

Scott
Old August 22, 2002, 06:11 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Depending on load, etc, most shotguns with beads mounted directly on the bbl shoot higher than POA, some as much as a foot high. Impossible to tell in advance.

The sight pic I use is no rib or bbl, just the bead seeming to sit right on the flat grooves on the receiver.

I was going to the rnage yesterday to check zero on my M/L for the deer season.I had chucked a few packs of KOS and Winchesters in my duffle and packed Frank for a test of just this, but I got paged for work. Will try this weekend and will post results.

HTH....
Old August 22, 2002, 12:30 PM   #5
Bruce626

Quote:
The sight pic I use is no rib or bbl, just the bead seeming to sit right on the flat grooves on the receiver.
I use the same pic as Dave, and with this I've found that at 70 to 100 yds I need to have what I'm aiming at appear to be sitting right on top (above) of the bead. (bbl mounted bead, no rib) If I put the bead in the dead center of the target, my shots go high.

I think it is odd however, because the ballistics printed on the slug box indicate a drop of 14 inches at 100 yds ( 1 oz Remington Reduced Recoil 2-3/4 slugs). So at first, I thought I needed to aim way high and let the slug drop onto the target... never did find those shots... clean off the big paper. Proves to me that ya need to test it out to find out what your shotgun does with slugs.
Old August 22, 2002, 06:06 PM   #6
S.F.S

Dave or Bruce,

Im not understanding the sight pic you guys use? Please explain.
I only have the one bead on my gun.

Scott
Old August 23, 2002, 12:21 AM   #7
Bruce626

Erick said:
Quote:
As Dave McC mentioned a simple bead will hit noticeably lower than the Point of Aim
Actually, Dave said:
Quote:
most shotguns with beads mounted directly on the bbl shoot higher than POA, some as much as a foot high.
I said:
Quote:
If I put the bead in the dead center of the target, my shots go high.
If you are confused, it is your own dam fault... we are obviously crystal, I say Crystal, clear.

When in doubt, just buttstroke the sombitzch and save ammo.