The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 22, 2012, 08:57 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

UTG Bipod on a Marlin XL7 .30-06?

I was watching a video by Nutnfancy about a particular UTG bipod. I know these are meant for airsoft guns, etc. Anyway, he showed himself using the bipod on multiple rifles including AR-15's and what appeared to be high powered rifles, probably .308, .30-06 or something like that. Well I ordered it and it seems ok, but at the same time it seems a little flimsy. Well maybe not "flimsy" as if it would break, but to be honest, I can't find the word.

My main fear is that it will not hold up the weight of a rifle that now weighs about 7 1/2 to 8 pounds with scope, a pouch on the stock, etc. So all together, the bipod is having to hold up about 8 to 8 1/2 pounds if you count it's own weight. The bipod seems to be made of decent quality aluminum and doesnt feel like it'll break. It is very stable as well. It's not like I wasted money because I could always just put the thing on my Marlin 795.

This is the bipod I'm using:
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Low-Profil...keywords=bipod

Thanks!
Old August 22, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Creeper

They are decent bipods for the money. They're made in China... but as the parent company of UTG is Leapers, they have a 1 year warranty.
Many air rifles weigh more than your Marlin... for example, I have a Weihrauch HW 97K that with a scope weighs 11.4 lbs.

Cheers,
C
Old August 22, 2012, 11:24 PM   #3
impalacustom

Stop buying the overweight China junk. Buy American and get a Harris with a lifetime warranty.

Tags
.30-06 , bipod , mount , utg