The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 6, 2005, 09:08 AM   #51
Lucky 7

We go to fire one in School of Infantry and I gotta say its flippin sweet!
Realistical youll only get about 30 to 60 rounds a minute outta the thing. Oh and be careful, cock the dual charging handle wrong and oopps! off goes a thumb!
Semper Fi!
-L7
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old December 16, 2005, 01:10 PM   #52
Caeser22

m198 you got screwed we had 88 round belts for our mk19s over in the sandbox. convoys suck i had the same duty over there and also would 've rather been humping them 155s in my paladin. hooah and oorah to the king of battle.
Old December 16, 2005, 04:43 PM   #53
The British Soldier

Mk.19 is a fantastis weapon and the concept is brilliant too, which is probably why it has been heavily copied. We Brits have them mounted on the M3 tripod or on the back of the Land Rover patrol vehicle. On a job in Africa we were engaging at 1500metres with the Mk.19s; it was a wierd experience shooting bursts of those 40mm grenades. You could fire them, get off the vehicle and make a cup of tea, enjoy a few sandwiches, go out for a couple of beers and be back just in time to see them all exploding a mile away!

The effect at the distant end was fantastic!

The only place we really didn't like them was in Norway, because they don't explode in the snow!

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old December 21, 2005, 02:25 PM   #54
Caeser22

b4 i went over to the sandbox. the qualification range went all the way out to 2100 meters or so . i couldn't hit anything past 1700 meters though but i still qualified expert
Old December 23, 2005, 11:05 AM   #55
DocFox

Why did you guys have to bring up the MK19?.... Now there are tears in my eyes as I remember the joys of it... snnniiifff....At least I have the memories
Old December 27, 2005, 07:04 PM   #56
Deadman

http://www.sinodefence.com/army/crewserved/mg_35.asp

Webpage for the Chinese agl.
Old December 29, 2005, 03:49 PM   #57
avball

Mk-19 rounds in an M203

YMMV, but I was chilling by the armory one day talking to a buddy (armorer) about this very thing, and he didn't think it would chamber - he tried it, and it did not. Pretty decent little no brainer safety mechanism there, just make the round such that it won't chamber properly in something that might kB on you :P

Of course, I wouldn't try to fire one if it did fit, but maybe guys will feel a little better knowing that the wrong round shouldn't be able to chamber into a 203.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:36 PM   #58
grndpndr

Cypherninja,that would be a Hedp round,notice the copper funnel shaped liner.
An old TM i have claims the MK19 HEDP round will penetrate 2 in of armor!?
Old February 5, 2006, 09:47 PM   #59
CypherNinja

I knew it was a shaped charge (hard to miss that). I just wasn't sure if it was for a MK19 or not.
Old February 7, 2006, 04:11 PM   #60
grndpndr

My apologys for stating the obvious,have i stumbled onto one of those sites that delight in flaming new members?
Quote: "I dunno what round it is(if its even a US round)" indicates ignorance,I was trying to be helpful,my apologys for attempting to answer what was to me apparently a question.
Cartridge 40mm HEDP M433; OD aluminum skirt w/steel cup attached white markings and gold ogive
Old February 7, 2006, 11:55 PM   #61
Lord_Nikon

grndpndr, you didn't really identify the round, you just pointed out the general typ. That's like someone posting pictures of a handgun asking for help identifying the make and model, and you respond, "Oh, it's a revolver!"
Old February 8, 2006, 12:09 AM   #62
CypherNinja

Oh dude, sorry. I didn't mean it like that.

Explosives that chamber in a full-auto are all pretty sweet.
Old February 8, 2006, 08:28 AM   #63
grndpndr

Being new her i dont want to get off on the wrong foot so if i offended my apologys.From whaty i could gather from the net it doesnt appear to be US
either so that leaves chinese /russian and i would have no idea which.I also thought US had a type u\of spring steel coil arrangement around the grenade to provide shrapnel.I am not sure what caliber the russ is,35mm? Any way i am curious now and intend to search to see if i can find theanswer,the fuze may be the answer.Again in didnt intend to offend it was late and perhaps I took it the wrong way
Old March 2, 2006, 01:41 PM   #64
Chaingunner

So I should PROBABLY have read to the end of the thread before replying to a post at the beginning of it, but I'm kinda pressed for time so I'll get right to it:

MK19 rounds are only for the Mk19. Imagine my chain of command's surprise when they decided to requisition some 40mm from the 13th MEU while we were on deployment, thinking that they would surprise the armory staff by giving us 40mm ammo to fire out of our ancient M79s, only to have me tell them "mk19 ammo can't be used in the M79. The rounds are linked and the cases are a different length, anyway."

They weren't happy.
Old March 20, 2006, 10:57 PM   #65
5whiskey

Mk 19s specs

Don't know about the length and weight, I just know it's too heavy for anything except for using on a gun-truck.

The min arming distance is 17 meters, but in all practicallity, it's more like 25. I saw an ND into hesco barrier 22 meters away and it didn't blow. It works off of a centrifugal fuse that requires 3 rotations, I think. DP is 2" of steel, and DP is about all the ammo you get anyway, unless they make orange death for it. I know they make orange death for 203's, I'm not sure about 19's.

The only package I've seen rounds come in is an ammo can with 36 rounds, but in invasion of fallujah everyone rigged a can on the side of the turret so they could have two cans linked together (linking grenades is a pain in the butt).

Very fun weapon. Nothing says "I hate you and hope you die" quite like a GMG, though the ma duece with APITS come close. Excellent for indirect fire, but I wouldn't call in the same format as other supporting arms. You still need an FO with some good sense, most gunners I know of aren't exactly squad leaders or platoon seargents. Point being they probably aren't familiar with how an FDC works. If the gunner can't get eyes on, the FO needs to know the gunners pos so they can relay correction in relation to the gunners pos and not the FO's.

Alright, good 'nough for now.
Old March 26, 2006, 09:44 PM   #66
Chaingunner

Wheeler0351 says
Very fun weapon. Nothing says "I hate you and hope you die" quite like a GMG, though the ma duece with APITS come close.

...except for the Mk38Mod1 25mm machine gun system loaded with SAPHEI-T... yes, that DOES, in fact, stand for Semi Armor Piercing High Explosive Incendiary-Tracer.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."