The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 2, 2016, 04:21 PM   #1
CLC

The less common M/N thread

I would like to hear what you guys own in the way of unique, rare or less common Mosin Nagants. For me some are.

M/N 91/30 stamped Izhevsk 1937, missing top hand guard but has 91 bands, not import marked. Best I can come up with is its either a Spanish Civil War gun or some sort of Finnish drill rifle. Only other stamps are 2.

M/N 91/30 stamped Tula 1939 with all the awesome Finnish stamps, SA, D, 41 etc. This one is in a nice stock with wire hangers.

M/N 91 N.E.W with SA stamps, This one is my favorite and I crow about it at every opportunity. So much history and traveling in one package.

Not a M/N, but I have a Italian Carcano 91 long rifle that has marksmanship stamps on it.

So what do you guys have? I would like to hear about some M/N's.

Last edited by CLC; May 2, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:08 AM   #2
gyvel

(1) Remington 91, new, unfired, that never left the factory and was never serial numbered.
(2) 44 with Czech property marks
(3) 44 bringback from Korean War with some Chinese characters painted on stock that (as best as a Chinese friend could translate) equate to some "committee."
(4) A couple of Spanish Civil War guns
(5) Had a 44 dated 1943, but sold it.
(6) Had a Belgian conversion barreled action in 8x57, but also sold it.

As I am getting on in years, most or all of these are going to be put on the block pretty soon. Need to thin out the herd.
SIFE
Old May 3, 2016, 12:36 PM   #3
CLC

Sounds like a great collection, I wish you lived closer. How are your SCW mosins marked? Mine falls in the date range and doesn't have any import stamps but otherwise has nothing to indicate it's a SCW gun. It does have a large 2 stamped on the grip and small 2's on the receiver. Adding a Remington to list list would be great, but I've never actually seen on in person.
Old May 3, 2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Vic6

I own a 1933 Tula Mosin Nagant Hex receiver, nothing too rare. But it has all matching number, along with cleaning kit and the matching bayonet! That is what is rare about it.
Old May 3, 2016, 03:24 PM   #5
CLC

If you haven't done so look up all the various makers and marks, could be rare and you never know it. For instance with the carcano I mentioned earlier, I only found the marksmanship stamp after clean up.

I do have a MO stamped file in my collection as well.
Old May 4, 2016, 02:00 AM   #6
gyvel

Quote:
How are your SCW mosins marked?
One is dated 1934, the other 1936, and they both have import marks on them: One says "USSR" and the other "URRS." The 1936 has the classic "flattened end" cleaning rod. Neither has any varnish on the stock.

The Remington apparently never left the factory as it was never serial numbered; It says "NÂș" with no number ever stamped beneath. When I got it, it came with a Remington bayonet.

The 44 Czech is marked with a "ch" on the barrel.

The 44 Korean War bringback with the Chinese characters painted on the butt has a makeshift homemade sling swivel on the barrel that pinched the barrel when the swivel screw was screwed tight, and a crudely inletted Springfield type swivel and base on the butt.
SIFE
Old May 4, 2016, 10:47 AM   #7
emcon5

I have a 1939 Izhevsk M38, according to the Mosin Rarity matrix is is 8/10.

Unfortunately it is in a M44 stock, although it appears to be a wartime stock:

Old May 5, 2016, 08:46 PM   #8
highpower3006

I have a 1934 hex receiver all matching numbers that has Finnish capture stamp and has never been rebuilt.

Old May 6, 2016, 04:30 PM   #9
tobnpr

Finnish M24. German manufactured barrel, only about 8,000 made. No idea how many survive.

I'm a much bigger "fan" of the Finn rifles than Russian/Soviet or other countries.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/M24-Rifle.asp

I wish I'd bought a N.E.W. and Remington before the prices got nutz. I refuse to pay a grand for one, so I'll wait...(yeah, I think they'll come down).
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; May 6, 2016 at 04:36 PM.