The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 19, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
dsa1115

Consider A Donation To the NRA-ILA

If you value your 2nd Amendment rights, consider joining, or consider an additional gift if you're already a member. Because a freight train is rolling down the tracks and it's building momentum as the anti-gun movement is seizing the moment. Perhaps you need another charitable donation before the end of the year? There isn't a better time to step up, or step up again, and give to the NRA-ILA. Your support is need now more than ever.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2
BarryLee

I just dropped off my donation at the Post Office a couple of hours ago.

http://www.nraila.org/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Warrior1256

Sent mine out 3 days ago.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
TheSnail

Im joining in 4hrs (payday)
Old December 19, 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Just a reminder: regular NRA member dues do not support the NRA-ILA. The ILA is supported by direct donations.

If everyone saved the money they're blowing on 30-round magazines and ammo hoarding and donated it to the ILA, we could beat this whole thing soundly.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Technosavant

Made a donation today.

My challenge (mentioned elsewhere) is this: Take the money you plan on spending on ONE magazine and donate it to the NRA-ILA. Between that and writing congressfolk, we can come out on top.

People are spending WAY too much time worrying about nightmare scenarios and not near enough being part of the process. Contact your elected officials, donate to groups that will get the message out, and we WILL keep our rights.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
TheBigO

$100 to the ILA, What is the point of saving money that you can't buy what you want with. It takes money to fight wars.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
mayosligo

I hope it helps. Sent mine off just now.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Ruthless4christ

the Widows mite

This weekend I am joining the NRA and Gun Owners of America. I will be donating 20 dollars extra besides the dues on each. Hopefully it helps.
Old December 19, 2012, 10:26 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Don't forget to voice your opinion, not only to your elected (and appointed) government officials; but also to the NRA-ILA.

Handing them cash is fine. Telling them what to do with your cash is better.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:47 PM   #11
mayosligo

FYI sent my donation and a letter off to my reps and sens. Then let my other pro gun friends know what I did as well as those who are interested or on the fence. Letting people know how you feel and what you stand for may lose you a friend or acquaintance but may also open the eyes of those who are not sure You may be surprised at your influence.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:35 PM   #12
MagnumWill

Sent mine in, oh, four days ago?
Old December 23, 2012, 08:06 PM   #13
No1der

I'm sorry but I can't in good faith send any money to the NRA. I'm a member and I'll likely stay one but after watching "Meet The Press" I feel as if Wayne makes me want to hide under a rock, from embarrassment, till this whole thing blows over.

He maybe wasn't factually wrong but he did a horrible job of putting our point forward. I don't know what he's thinking and I don't know if he is thinking that his "Ace in the hole" is the Republican, and parts of the Democrat, party but the Republican party is in shambles right now and they, like us, are suffering from horrible PR. I'm not certain how hopping into bed with Wayne is going to help them politically.

Time will tell, as it always does, but right now I'm not feeling all that great about our leadership/mouthpiece.

Sorry if this ruffles anyones feathers but the NRA isn't doing a good job of what they are supposed to be doing.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Webleymkv

Already done, I contributed some to the NRA-ILA and also joined and contributed a donation to the SAF.
Old December 24, 2012, 03:44 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'm sorry but I can't in good faith send any money to the NRA. I'm a member and I'll likely stay one but after watching "Meet The Press" I feel as if Wayne makes me want to hide under a rock, from embarrassment, till this whole thing blows over.
So, don't watch "Meet the Press".

The NRA does all kinds of things to miff, irritate, or anger members. But, right now, the 800 pound gorilla needs membership.

If you still don't like the NRA....
Give GOA, NAGR, or any of the other pro-gun associations a shot. (My respect for GOA is growing daily, especially after the Piers Morgan interview of GOA's Mr. Pratt. -- I'm glad I'm a member.)
Old December 24, 2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Jo6pak

I've postponed buying myself a new pistol and sent the $250 to the NRA-ILA instead. Along with another $250 to GOA

Last edited by Jo6pak; December 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17
jasmith85

Sorry but its Christmas time. All of my donations are going to things like the Angel Tree and the Salvation Army. I mean no offense to anyone doing otherwise but helping disadvantaged people during the holidays is more important to me than my guns.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:08 PM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Like Wayne or not, the NRA is the only organization that can fight this. If (and that's a really big "if") and legislation should pass, the SAF will be instrumental in fighting it in court.

The others? Based on prior track record, I can't really place my faith in their influence at the moment.
Old December 24, 2012, 03:16 PM   #19
mayosligo

I have yet to find any organization that represents me %100. Now is the time to fight for what we believe in and not eat our own. I may have my own issues with the NRA at times but they do stand up for the 2nd Amendment more than anyone else and with more force. I gladly welcome the assistance of other groups as well as through my support.
Old December 24, 2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Davey

Donated a lousy ten bucks to the ILA. Would have sent more if possible. Will send more for sure at the beginning of 2013.

Someone be nice and make up for my paltry donation?
Old December 25, 2012, 10:49 AM   #21
Jo6pak

Hey, Davey. Good on ya for the $10 donation. It's ten more than many will give.

I keep hearing about people running out for the "last panic purchases", spending $1000s on guns, ammunition, mags, etc. Many will never give a thought to donatiing some of that money to a gun rights organization. Typical short sightedness, I guess. Nobody looks down the road. Is it more important to buy stuff for ourselves in a panic? Or is it better to pitch in to keep our rights as long as we can. Would our children rather have a rifle passed down from their father, or have the same rights that we share today?

Will you sacrifice your gun rights later because you won't sacrifice a little of your wealth or time now?
Old December 29, 2012, 07:38 PM   #22
Starting_Out

I hope many do make a donation in lieu of hoarding or panic buying. I usually make small donations to GOA, SAF, and a couple other organizations that I support but feel are less effective than the NRA and make a larger donation to the NRA-ILA (well, larger to me, still pocket change to many). This season I have made 3 donations to the NRA instead of going out to dinner and my girlfriend joined and donated $10. I also sent a letter to my representatives.
Old December 29, 2012, 07:49 PM   #23
leadchucker

I just read the details of the upcoming AWB legislation. It motivated me to make a quick donation, right after I fired some letters off to my elected officials.

The NRA ILA makes it very easy to do online!
Old December 29, 2012, 11:51 PM   #24
BudW

You are going to find out the NRA is worthless.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:11 AM   #25
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You are going to find out the NRA is worthless.
Care to elaborate?